Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

drinking carbonated drinks and or gaining weight

Dear Bloggers: Here is my dilema: I have had my lapband since may 06 and normally do wonderful I lost 77 lbs till this jan 08. Then, I notice:confused: I was feeling heavier and doctor verified that and I had gained 7 lbs. now I think it is more like 16lbs. I no longer have the hunger and satisfaction from the small meals. I want to get back on track and lose to my goal. Is

it normal to have this happen, do I need to be more aware of needing a fill, I only have had 3 in 2years I do very well with this band and am so happy hope I havent done something to stop the process. I have not discussed this with my doctor because I HATE Water and had a few diet

cokes. One of my friends said to let the ice melt and then drink the cola, I have stopped the pepsi for a month and am using tea for my water. What to do, the doctor will not be happy with me. Help thx Joan

Go Back To The "why" You Did It.then Get Some Crystal Lite, Fresh Lemons Or Limes And Start Drinking Your Water. The Carbonated drinks Will Stretch The Band. Use A Small dinner Plate To Put Your food On. Find A Exercise Buddy And Take Walks, Ride A Bike. Really Slients Your Mind And Relize This Can Work If You Allow Yourself To Let It..good Luck..memom

I'd cut out all soda completely... whether it is Diet or regular... Soda is REALLY unhealthy whether it is diet or regular, and that doesn't include the extra stress that carbonation puts on your band.

I know the 'I hate Water feeling" cause I've tried to kick that feeling to no avail. What I do is fill a glass with Ice, then fill it with 2/3 Water and add 100% juice to top it off. My favorite is Orange juice with Lots of Pulp, because even with 2/3 water, that pulp makes me feel like I'm drinking straight OJ. If I've got a kick for carbonation, I'll use 1/2 seltzer water and 1/2 juice. Not a lot of carbonation that way, but I still get the 'feeling' of soda...

i hate Water too, but the crystal lite peach iced tea is great!! i drink all my water with crystal lite in it. soda is bad bad bad for everyone. regular has too much sugar and diet has artificial sweeteners that eat ur brain out of your' head (not really). my dentist said she'd rather my kids chew regular gum then see me give them artificial sweeteners. i know the crystal lite has artificial in it, however i dont have that after feeling i got when drinking diet coke... not to mention the carbonation isnt good for you

I no longer have the hunger and satisfaction from the small meals.

Joan... I don't think I understand. You don't have hunger? Yet you are not satisfied with smaller meals?

Or did you mean you do have hunger and small meals aren't cutting it for you anymore? If you don't have good restriction then get a fill. If you believe your restriction is okay then you might have a dilated pouch and a barium swallow would be in order to rule that out. A barium swallow can check for other possible issues as well. Are your fills under fluoro?

And drink the water! Cut out soda. Any idea what carbonation does to your bones?? It's really not heatlhy. Drink Water. Put Crystal Lite in there, S/F Hawaiian punch, anything. But get the fluids in especially during the weight loss phase.

Don't worry about your doc. Diets fail... everyone knows this.

But what you want to do is weigh benefits/costs analysis to your eating.

If you drink soda, you will gain weight. Is it worth it to you? [we should already know the answer to that]

I think you (and anyone else reading this) should have a number that if they gain that much to that number then there is a set action plan to put into place.

Don't worry about it! Just get back on the bandwagon and if needed, get an adjustment...at least for a while.

Sometimes we loose restriction, or go on maintenance and forget we can get an adjustment to help us.

Good luck! You've done so well.

I don't like Water either, but I take a peeled, sliced cucumber and a sliced lemon and put them in a half gallon of Water and put it in the fridge. It has a nice light taste and is very refreshing. I refill the pitcher a couple of times and then put the spent cuke and lemon in the compost and start again.

You could do it with oranges or whatever you wanted to.