Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Requirements

With all the research I've done, nothing seems more confusing than daily Protein requirements. The concensus formula is .75-.8 grams per kilogram (2.2lbs) but I'm not able to determine if this formula is strictly for someone with a low body fat. If the body composition (lean mass versus non-lean mass) doesn't effect the formula then so be it but if it does, whats the formula for someone with a large amount of fat as opposed to lean mass.

I was banded in April so obviously I don't fall in the "low body fat" catagory but I don't want to consume 98 grams based on the formula if the formula assumes that my weight is primarily comprised of muscle.

I've seen various other statistics that say I need as little as 40 grams.

Any insight would be helpful.

With all the research I've done, nothing seems more confusing than daily Protein requirements. The concensus formula is .75-.8 grams per kilogram (2.2lbs) but I'm not able to determine if this formula is strictly for someone with a low body fat. If the body composition (lean mass versus non-lean mass) doesn't effect the formula then so be it but if it does, whats the formula for someone with a large amount of fat as opposed to lean mass.

I was banded in April so obviously I don't fall in the "low body fat" catagory but I don't want to consume 98 grams based on the formula if the formula assumes that my weight is primarily comprised of muscle.

Best rule of thumb . go by what your doc orders. I belive mine says 60 grams min. a day ?

Mindy

What did your nutritionist say? I know mine said above 70 grams and I get to about 100 daily. I know that a lot of people banded in Australia, who I might add are incredibly successful, don't follow the huge amount of Protein rule that we get here in the states. The first place I would check would be with your doc or nutritionist.

Mine Told Me About 80 Grams For The First 3 Months

It should be 0.8 gm/kg of LEAN BODY MASS. That means you have to do a body composition to figure out your lean body mass. Most of us start out with around 75 kg (165 lb) of lean body mass, which is why 60gm is a number you commonly see for daily Protein requirements for lap band patients. It makes sense that you don't need extra Protein for your fat mass, right? We're trying to get rid of that!

I had to go see a new surgeon, because I moved, and he puts all his patients on 1.5 gm/kg of protein. But those are actually RNY recommendations, because they don't absorb protein well. He wanted me taking in 75gm/day, which I can't do without a Protein shake and I don't want to take Protein shakes. Plus I currently have about 120 lb of lean body mass, and my prior surgeon recommended about 55gm per day of protein (the surgeon who did the surgery) so I have stuck with that.

HTH.

Thanks for the replies. I've been doing quite a bit of strength training since I was cleared to do so by the surgeon and thats how been justifying the 85-95 grams I get a day. A lot of it comes Protein shakes as I'm just not hungry enough to sit down and eat meals in the afternoon. I eat steel cut oatmeal at Breakfast and something small with chicken or fish for lunch but the Protein Shakes I drink following my work-out in the afternoon give me about 60 grams of Protein for muscle repair throughout the night.

My calorie intake stays below 1200/day with 50lbs lost in 56 days so I guess I'll keep on the same track.

Good luck to everyone.