Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder Surgery

I just found out yesterday that I have to have my gallbladder removed. I have a horrible gallbladder attack on Sunday and ended up in the ER.

Has anyone had this surgery since having their lap band? I just want to make sure that this surgery will not hurt my band.

If anyone has any advice on this topic, please let me know!!!!

Thanks!!!

I have not had my gallbladder removed since I have the band - I acutally had it out about 12 years ago - but I have read about quite alot of people having it removed after being banded. It seems very common so I think you will be ok.

I had to have mine out after I had the band 3 1/2 - 4 months - no problems since - the gallbladder surgery actually went easier than the band

I just had my gallbladder out a few weeks ago. It was my second attack, first attack was a few years ago but they didn't want to take it out, this time I said get it out! They did. No problem with being banded, in fact the surgeon checked my band while he was in there, said everything looked good. He does the band too. I had the surgery on saturday afternoon, home sunday morning, back to work on monday. No problems at all.

Thanks for all of your responses. It makes me feel better to know that someone else has had the same surgery and that all is ok!!!

Havent been banded yet but I had mine out just 4 weeks after having a c-section. (childbirth I was told can trigger gall bladder problems too)

When I had my first attack it was 2 weeks post op. I thought I was having a heart attack. At least you know what it was. Mine landed me in the ER too. It must have been really bad.

I was a bit sore afterward but it wasnt too bad, it's a lot better than worrying when the next attack will be!

Good luck! :rolleyes:

Edited by mariem
sent too soon

I've never had problems with my gall bladder, but following my lapband surgery yesterday, I was given a prescription for 6 months of Ursodiol (generic for actigall). I guess this is to head off any gall bladder problems.

I had mine removed, too. But years ago when I was dieting and got down to a good weight. Oh the pain! I'll never forget it.

No one told me that dieting can cause the gall bladder to go wack. Oh well.

I had my gallbladder surgery on 5/23/08 one week sooner than I was scheduled. All went well. All I can say is that pain medicine is great!!!

My Dr. did tell me that alot of people who lose weight have gallbladder problems....intersting huh?

I am just glad that I don't ever have to worry about having that type of pain again. I have never hurt so bad in my life!!!

My stomach is still a little bloated from the gas they use to enlarge it during the surgery, but other than that, all is good.

Thanks for your help!!

Yes, as I said the worry of when the next attack and the pain will be worse than the surgery itself.

Just out of curiousity since I have yet to be banded, can you compare the two surgeries as far as down time and pain afterwards? Both are done laproscopically so I was thinking the pain after surgery I will have with the lap band would be nearly the same if not identical to the surgery I had to remove my gall bladder.

Glad you are on the mend and doing well!!

In comparing the two surgeries, I have to say they were both pretty much the same.

The only difference was that I had more gas pains with the Lap Band than with the gallbladder surgery. I think that is because of the changes made to the stomach.

As far as recovery time, it is about the same for me.

I am sure you will do fine with the lap band surgery. When do you have your surgery?

I can honestly say that I am soooo happy with my band, I wish I would have done it sooner.

Good luck and let me know how everything goes for you.

Julie H:

I had my gallbladder removed in April. My band surgeon did the operation. It's about as much pain as the band surgery, not much. However, my big cut was just above my belly button, and that was really sore. I found that if I wore a high-waisted Spanx to control it from being jiggly it helped alot.

My band was fine and I've been losing since.

Good luck.

Sue

Hi, I am having my gallbladder removed on Monday, June 2. I have been banded since August 2007. My surgeon who is doing my gallbladder removal has a very negative attitude and has been the biggest you-know-what. I have to use him due to insurance. He told he that he "just hopes he doesn't have to move or take out my band in order to get my gallbladder out". He has made continual verbal statements to me about what he thinks of my lapband. I don't think he should even have to touch my band and if he does, I will slap his face. Can anyone give me some information? Thanks so much.

Hi:

I would suggest that you put something in writing that says something about not giving him permission to touch your band. Then, schedule an appointment shortly after gallbladder surgery to get your band checked by your band doctor.

Good luck.

Sue

The band is not in the way of lapband. Lots of people get their gallbladder out during lapband or after lapband surgery. I had my gallbladder out when I was 15.

The pain of the attacks was worse than the surgery pain, but yet I was drugged up LOL