Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I was on another obesity site that has a chat forum... and I was chatting it up with others.. and a lady gave me a 10 minute tirade on how I made a huge mistake getting the lap band versus the RNY that she had.. and how I would end up having the bypass anyway.. blah blah... she said so many negative things...

and i know i shouldnt care.. but i just had surgery on friday and i am afraid i made the wrong choice.... i was so confident but now i am not sure..

i am swayed easily by negativity... i am trying to work on that too..

she said i wouldnt ever get to my goal weight.... and since my starting weight wasnt incredibly high to begin with that i wouldnt lose much at all..

im discouraged. and stressed out.... my dad just paid cash for this surgery and i want it to work so bad... somebody tell me its going to work.

Please don't be upset by someone that doesn't know that much about the band. If you follow the rules, you will lose your weight. We have had several people in the last few months that have hit their goals or are real close to hitting it. I wouldn't trade my band for the RYN ever! You were on the wrong site, some are just for RYN and not bandsters.

You will do just fine, please don't worry! I think we all have the fear that it won't work for us, but it does, it might take a little longer, but your skin will benefit from it too.

Boy, people can be so idiotic! It comes down to a "my surgery is better than your surgery" thing. It is stupid. You made a choice that is right for YOU. No matter what ANYONE else says, you did what is best for you. There will ALWAYS be naysayers in everything you do. If you want to be successful with your lap band surgery, you WILL be. I have lost 80 lbs in 11 months, actually 9 months since I am on a plateau. LOL. The funny thing is, that if you ever, for ANY reason decided to get RNY after all, YOU COULD...SHE IS STUCK. LOL. You did what was right for you...screw what anyone else says. Sorry...but people like that just get under my skin!!!! YOU will do great, if you want it! PLUS, lap band is adjustable FOR LIFE...can she say that about her surgery??? I think not.

Dont' stress from what someone else chose to do. If the RNY was for you I'm sure you would have chose it. You made the decision to get the Lap and don't second guess yourself for making that choice instead Pat yourself on the back. You only just started on your Journey with your band so think positve about it.:)

Some chat rooms I stay away from when welcoming a new person they berate them on the choice they made. We are all in the same boat as wanting to lose weight and get healthy they should not push their choice on someone else.

dallasdoll,

I am 4 weeks out from Band Surgery, and the only day I regretted it was the day after surgery, so sore I couldn't move for 3-4 days. RNY was NEVER even and option for me, the risks for way to high. My mother's friends son died about 2 years ago from Gastric Bypass and my husband's Aunt's brother was very very sick right after Gastric, he was given his last rights 3 times. He was in the hospital for almost 2 months and yes he may be thin, but he looks sickly, and he regrets having Gastric Bypass. I was watching American Idol last night and noticed that Randy Jackson looks like he is putting his weight back on and had Gastric Bypass. Don't listen to what other people say, stay on this board and you will be fine!

dalla, I know what mean.. I was put down once too very bad. I was told the lapband wouldnt work for me because i was to big and that I should get the bypass. I was so hurt and got confused. But as of now I have NO doubt the lapband is for me. Here is the thread where i came here for support after i was put down. http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4873

thanks all... i am feeling better now.. your comments helped alot... i think you are right about her needing to feel liek she made the right choice with her gut chopping dumping dealio.... it just hurts that people would say that to someone who JUST had surgery on freakin friday..

sigh... but i got on the scale today and i am down almost 5 pounds so far... and i am happy and proud.. thats 5 more than on my own and more to come..

so it is working already. and it will work in the future... and i believe it.

thanks again. i just needed a nudge forward from some people in the know.

Hey Dallasdoll,

If you need a local person for support, contact me. Hey, if I can lost 95% of my excess weight, so can you. What makes you think you are so special? LOL YOu will not fail at this...!!!!

Babs in TX

334/180

new goal: 170

My wife, brother in law, best friend and some cousins are all Doctors they told me the band was the best way to go. It's reversable and adjustable so if I ever needed to have it removed or go thru a major illiness when older the band can be removed.

The band will get you closer to your ideal weight than you have ever been before but you must exercise to reach the top.

BTW: I'm not banded yet (May 05) but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

DallasDoll honeeey! I'm so sorry you got flamed by that RNY person. ((((((Hugs))))) She has no idea what she's talking about. Reminds me of the story of the Fox with no Tail. ...

anyway, you have come to the right place for support! Only fluffy bunnies here, and the occasionally freaked out Vinesqueen... Oh, but watch out for Zoe's size 11 butt kicking.. But only if you truely need it. Which you don't today!

oh, and I'm confused, do you only weigh 224 or is that how much you want to lose? (heh, how many times has someone said "do you only weight...?" heh)

Just as a bit of perspective, my DH weight 600 pounds when he was banded. (he's on a plateau after losing about 200 pounds.)

as of this morning, i weigh 219 lbs... i lost .5 pound since yesterday. My doc says he wants me to get to 130 but i would be thrilled at 145. So... I have about 75 pounds to go for my goal and 90 for the ultimate bikini bod.

I think it is doable... and I was confident pre surgery and the few days after.. but that bypass lady sent me in a tailspin.... i am over it though... i am up early and off to walk on my treadmill for a bit to see if i cant kick start my way faster to under 200.

I am not eating nearly enough nor drinking enough at this point.. I have one little thing of applesauce and 2 bottles of boost per day usually..and then by 5pm i start to hurt from surgery... and i take my liquid codeine goodie and I am out until the next morning... I also have a new sharp pain in my left chest.. thinking its gas so dad is buying me some Gas X today.

i am feeling my way through the newness of all this.. i made rigatoni last nite with meat sauce for my daddy and DID NOT even sample the sauce.. didnt wanna risk the Pasta either... SO PROUD of ME.. (I felt fine when i had some scrambled eggs too early, but decided to be a good girl and follow the orders from doc.) I also cant seem to down the 8 glasses of Water a day... i can manage one bottle of Water (so my pee is really yellow.. i know i am dehydrated)

anyways.. i am working on it all and i am thankful for your support!! thanks

DallasDoll, IMO, I think you made a great choice and the person you were talking to probably regrets not taking our route. Just a note, those scales will become your enemy if you jump on them everyday. Try to get in the habit of weighing once a week, it not only gives you something to look forward to, you'll prevent the blues when you have a day you don't lose or maybe even gain .5 lb after you start mushy and solid stages.

You're doing great.

good point. i will limit weigh-ins to once a week. i just wanted some affirmation on the scale that i did the right thing and it is working... so now that i know... i will moderate....