Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery in Vancouver Area?

Andi10: Dr. Woodhead is a very nice young doctor. Go armed with your questions and he will take the time to explain them to you. I did not have my band with him, but I do go to him for fills. Even though I am not his surgical patient, he still wants to see me every few months. And if i haven't invited you to the Lions Gate monthly meeting, we sure hope you will come out and meet us. You can get a variety of answers and thoughts from us.

I am a 26 year old female wondering if lapband is for me. I am to the point of being 375 and thinking if I dont get help soon Im going to run into massive medical problems by 30yrs old. Being so young it depresses me that I am very limited to what I can do as all my young friends around me are enjoying their yearly years!! I have made an appointment with my doctor to get a refferal to Dr.Whitehead. I am in a low income family does anyone know how I could afford a sergery like this??? Can anybody recommend me the best web-sites or books to read about what sergery is for me??

clg. Sorry, from the last I heard, BC only approves gastric bypass for patients but to go privately, the gastric band is done by both Dr. Woodhead or Dr. Leung. Dr. Leung also does gastric bypass. Not sure about Dr. Woodhead. You definately should get a referral to Dr. Leung and see if you are a candidate for gastric bypass. Also, do a lot of research. One place to start is the BC WLS website. You could join and you will get advice from gastric by pass patients and bandsters. Good luck.

Edited by Doddie63
spelling of name

Hi all,It's me - Laura. For those who don't know me I got banded by Dr. Woodhead and his trusty sidekick Dr. Horenstein on July 16. I've attended all the Bandsters meetings for the last few months except for the one held the night I got banded.Canada Girl and Dottie have lots of experience with the banding process, so they are a great resource for anyone with questions.As for my impression of Dr. Woodhead, he's a great surgeon but he does treat the banding segment of his practice as a business. It's a great profit centre for him, so be prepared for that. That doesn't mean he doesn't know his stuff, though.His office staff can be less than helpful. For example, if the office is closed, you get a voicemail directing you to call the Delta Hospital and ask to speak to the surgeon on call for Dr. Woodhead. When I had a problem the day after my surgery and called the office just after it close, I did just that but was told only doctors can speak to doctors, so why did Woodhead's voicemail tell me to phone the hospital? I ended up going to Delta's Emergency Department, where, to my surprise (since the surgery is done there), they didn't know much about banding. Anyway, the reason I went with Woodhead was I had read reviews of Leung which said he was disrespectful towards his patients. Also, he's old and approaching retirement age. Woodhead is under 40, so presumably he'll be around a long time for assistance, fills, etc.Of course, anyone contemplating the surgery should make up his or her mind based on his or her own personality, goals, and needs.BTW, does anyone have experience with their body entering "starvation mode?" I'm averaging only 900 calories a day yet have lost only four pounds in 24 days, an average of 1.16 pounds a week. How can I counteract this genetically programmed setback?

Unfortuantely, this is getting to be the norm. The demand is great and doctors are doing the band with little or no thought to the importance of followup. My clinic has become so overwhelmed that they are speedily making a bad name for themselves when it comes to patient followup. Emails go unanswered, telephone calls not returned, messages saying something will be done and it isn't, new programs set up but long time banders not notified, on and on and on.

Dr. Woodhead has always been very good to me, never rushes when I see him but when someone has just had surgery and having difficulties he should be available. Has he been told of your difficulties in getting to him? I sure hope so, because nothing will be improved if he is left in the dark thinking he is doing OK. Hope you are doing better now.

Yes, Doddie, I told him about it during my follow-up appointment two weeks later. I also complained about his office staff not answering questions directly. The problem only lasted for the one day and, according to the doctor in Delta Emergency, was caused by my taking Tylenol 3s without food, which irritated my stomach. She advised me to stop taking them, which I did, and to take the prescribed crushable Prevacid for at least three days after the cessation of symptoms, which I also did.

Edited by lottacash
typing error

lottacash. Good for you for speaking up. I will be interested in knowing if the afterservice improves. I have been putting Dr. Woodhead as a doctor to see and if there are issues, I would also like to state them as well. Everyone has a different experience with their surgeons or doctors for that matter some good some not so good, but I still think having a doctor in the local area that you can drive to is better than having to fly a great distance for assistance. Just getting a fill is not the only thing that happens as you can attest.

I was told by my clinic that taking aspirin or tyenol could create problems with the pouch that is why they recommended liequid prescriptions or crushable. I am so glad you have solved the problem and your journey will now go along uneventful.

Hi Doddie,

I agree having a doctor close by is an advantage. My sister travelled from Kingston to TO to get her band and has to go there for fills, etc., but I'd hate to have to do that. I didn't even want to go to Washington State for my band. I don't know how Canadagirl does it.

I haven't had any real problems since that first one, so I don't know how to assess if Woodhead's office staff has improved. They're not bad people: Woodhead just said he doesn't want to make them into doctors, so I suspect he's told them not to answer questions unless they check with him. Sure cuts down on the malpractice suits, I imagine. It's just an added annoyance when a problem crops up.

Of course that "run-around" caused by the voicemail message is totally unacceptable in a surgeon's office. I have no idea whether it's been corrected. Maybe I should place a late-night call just to check.

Hi: You have confirmed in my mind that Dr. Woodhead is a good surgeon but does not yet think of himself in "private practice". I get the very distinct impression that once you are on his patient list you are a patient with all the rights and privileges MSA patients get. He expects to see you on a regular basis and if an emergency arises to call his emergency line like all his other patients. The problem is some of us after paying thousands of dollars expect priority and don't like to wait in line. My comments do not include your emergency call. I am referring to fills and defills. He gave me the impression he wanted me to go slowly and not overfill. Each time I see him if I have lost weight, he congratulates me but does not offer more fill. I really like that. Sure hope your journey is smoother in the future.

Hi Doddie,

I'll see what Woodhead says at my next appointment (next week).

Frankly, I don't see the point in getting a fill, as I'm only eating an average of 900 calories a day and about 55 grams of Protein. I started exercising today by going to an Aquacize class here in Surrey, so I hope that will give my recently sluggish weight loss a boost.

lottacash That is great if you don't need a fill just yet. When you do start, start slowly because it was a surprise to me after my first fill to have restriction. As you heal and become more familiar with the band, your eating will slowly increase. When you get to around 1200 calories a day and find it difficult to get under that, I would then start thinking about the fill. The rule I was told was " when you are losing weight maintain the fill level" and when you are not losing for a few weeks, "then get a fill". But I would suggest you go with small amounts at first. The average first fill is 4 to 5 ccs then slowly increased to an average of 6 - 7 ccs depending on the band of course.

Really happy you are doing so well.

Ok this is my first post and dont know how I will be able to find the thread I posted the question " IN?" later to see if there are any responses...lol I had my surgury wed...(the 10th) Drwoodhead ... its rough going... my question is...which I should have asked before ..is... are fills going to be part of ones life forever? do you think or is you maintain yer goal once you are at it? the band just stays as is? hmmm something for me to ponder besides the fact I HATE Jello .... lol

Tammy Jean welcome to band land. I go to Dr. W. for my fills and have the band since Feb. 20007. You say rough going. What exactly are you experiencing. Contact me by e mail if you wish and I will try to give you any support I can.

Also, we have a support group and there are a few Dr.W. patients going there. We would love to have you meet us if you can manage to come to the Lions Gate Hospital on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. I think the 17th is the next one. Nothing formal just a lot of laughs.

Anyway keep in touch, it is hard going it alone and in response to your question on fills, you are given fills until you have a restriction that you find you are comfortable with. That means if you are loosing weight you don't get a fill. If you find you are barfing, shoulder pain, reflux then you get a defill. I haven't reach goal yet, but once you attain your goal, there is no longer any need for fill except maybe to top it up once in awhile. I understand some saline is lost over time.

Thank you .... just sorta feel alone and well am? had my surgury wed...and my pal from kelowna was here till fri afternoon only stayed in the hospital for hmmm 8 hrs or so? lol Had my surgury 9 AM ish and checked out @ 5 that first nights a son of a b****... Shoulder pain mostly trying to find a place to sleep ....that you can get comfy. I dont know how you have that ... BMI band thing or how to make a profile here have looked too a few times.... This first day ice and day 2-6 clear Fluid as well makes you a tad light headed the incisions arent that painful just the overall " got hit by a mac truck" feeling is there and my stomachs grumblinggggggggg... I dont wanna even see Jello again I have dropped I think too much weight ...surgury was wed so that day dosent really count? so thur fri sat sun and todays monday am 13 lbs thinner? Today I get some " BOOST" and puddin yogurt Soup ect..but dont think I'll try them all at once... slow and steady introduction I think is what I plan...anyhow it is just nice to vent ... its difficult to discuss your half a cup of broth with a friend and have them grasp sympathetically your plight... I appreicate it...Tammy