Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery in Vancouver Area?

Hi there,

I have decided to get the band and am looking for doctors - I have looked at both the Surgical Weight Loss Centre in Mississauga Ont. and the NWWLS in Everett Wa. I live near Vancouver and for those of you who live in the same area and have had the suregery I am wondering:

1. if there are any doctors who perform the surgery in or near Vancouver?
  2. Your experiences with either clinic and why you chose the clinic you did.

Thanks for your help,

Innotu

Hi :)

I had my band surgery done at NWWLS in Everett in November of '06. I chose them over the Toronto clinic because I felt that if I had any serious complications and needed to see my surgeon I would rather be able to drive there in a few hours rather than booking a flight and having to fly for 5 hours.

Price-wise and wait-time they were comparable so that wasn't really an issue.

I have been completely happy with the follow-up care (support, fills, etc) that I have recieved from NWWLS and would gladly recommend them to anyone. But in the end, the choice is yours.... I would recommend attending an info meeting at the clinic if you can, it's always nice to see how you 'mesh' with the staff and surgeons. You need to always remember that your clinic staff are going to be part of your journey for quite a while.

On another note...if you are in the Vancouver area and have time this evening (Wednesday, May 21) we are having a support group meeting in North Van @ Lion's Gate Hospital at 7pm. Check this message board for the 'Support Group' thread to get directions.

Unfortunately I live a couple of hours away and will be leaving home soon (I get to go shopping today before the meeting!!!) so I won't see if you reply to this post.

Any other questions feel free to email me at canadagirl33@hotmail.com

Patricia

11/16/06

NNWLS

306/202/175ish

There is a Dr. R. Woodhead in Delta that does lapband surger. I go to him for my fills. There is also a Dr. Leung that does band surgery as well.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make last night's meeting - North Van is a little far for me. I will however try to make the next meeting.

Yesterday I spoke with both Dr. Leung and Dr. Woodhead's offices and I am now considering my options - the waitlists are very long, but I do think that I'd prefer to stay as close to home as possible - both doctors and hospitals are within 15 minutes of my home.

I still have a long way to go, but am excited to begin this journey - better late than never.

Hi: I at our meeting last night we had another lady that is going to go today for a consult with Dr. Woodhead and she indicated the wait is not to long. We have another lady who comes down from Pemberton so if you can make it once it awhile it would be nice.

But, if you would like to correspond with me for support I would love to do that. I am corresponding by e mail with a lady in Texas and another in Halifax. Feel free to contact me any time. I will send you a private message with my personal e mail.

Doddie is correct. My very first consult/meeting with Dr Woodhead was on April 18, 2008 and my surgery date was May 14, 2008. Not too long at all.

Does anyone know if there is another Doctor besides Woodhead that does the surgery?? The wait list is so long I need it soon!! I heard a Dr. Leung but cant find his contact information, does anyone have his phone #?? Does anyone know of anyone else maybe on the island that does it??

If you're not in too much of a rush, and don't mind a short flight, the Surgical Weigh Loss Centre (from Mississauga) will be opening up a Calgary clinic in September.

clg. Are you sure Dr. Woodhead's list is long? Most I know is that from consult to surgery is a couple of months. As for Dr. Leung, he should be under the P&S list in the yellow pages or you can go to his website and get the phone number and address. You can't use the bandsters portion of the website but you can ask questions.

If you decide to go out of Province, give considerable consideration to your aftercare. You may wait a few months from a Vanc. doctor but the aftercare can be expensive.

IE: I just travelled to Toronto to have my port position corrected and travel costs plus hotel came to just under $1,000.00. If you go to Calgary for instance, you will have flight costs there and back plus accommodation. You will need at least three fills and probably more as well as defills, plus the unexpected like my flipped port. So factor in the wait time for surgery and aftercare and you may see the wait is worth it. Hope this information helps you

Dr. Wai Man Leung 604 581 2515

200 - 13798 94A Ave, Surrey

I had consults with both Woodhead & Leung just this past April. Dr Woodhead did my surgery on May 14, 2008. I was going to have to wait until the end of July 2008 for Leung.

I believe that Dr. Amson in Victoria (because you asked regarding the Island) does banding as well but he also does gastric bypass and I've heard that because he does both surgeries his wait time is longer than the Dr's in Vancouver.

It's all a matter of calling the offices, asking some questions, booking a couple of consults.... It can be a long wait, but that isn't always a bad thing. Waiting gives a person plenty of time to research their options and learn all there is to know about living life with a band.

It makes me nervous to see people whose big concern is not having to wait. We all need to remember that it isn't about 'getting' a band, it's about realizing that once you have it you have it the rest of your life. It's a major life change and something that too many people are not properly prepared for.

Good luck !!!!

Patricia

Disclaimer... Sorry if I offend but I just read a post from someone who was 'bragging' that it only took her a month from learning about the existance of Lap-band to having surgery. Now she's posting and upset because no one told her she was going to need more than 1 or 2 fills, and no one told her she couldn't/shouldn't drink carbonated drinks, and no one told her that her addiction to breads might become an issue.... *sigh*:behindsofa:

Well said Canada girl, you said it better than I could say it. Your clinic could also be considered as there is no flight time involved.:smile2:

I agree Canada Girl and Doddie!

I've been researching the band for a few months now. I've read many, many posts on various support sites (this one has been fantastic), 2 books on the topic and several research articles from my local university library and I haven't even had my first consult with Dr. Woodhead yet! I'll also be attending the F2F support group meeting in North Van next week. I meet with Dr. Woodhead on June 20th - I'm not sure what the wait for surgery is, I think its a few months but will cross that bridge when I get to it.

The research has been invaluable in helping me feel more comfortable about what life with the band will be like. I'm not at a 100% yet, but am closer to feeling this is for me with each day that passes....knowledge is power...and for most of us knowledge comes with time, effort and research.

Good luck with your journey

How did you like Dr Woodhead??? I am going to see him. Anything I should know?? How have you done after surgery??

Andi10