Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand procedure in Mexico

am seriously thinking of having it done by this doctor http://beliteweight.com and wondered if anyone else had used him-he is half the cost of having it done here and since I will have to pay for this myself 9k sounds ALOT better than 18k.

Yes u will find a lot of people here who have used Dr Kuri. Do a search on his name on this sight to go threw old threads....there will be lots and lots of really good info here for u to sift threw. Also talk to Kathy(the best me), she just had hers done with him like a week or two ago. Hope that helps :)

Dr Kuri, right? I just had surgery done by him on 4/8/05. I had a good experience there, in some ways it was better than I expected, in other ways, well, I wasn't really sure what to expect but I was NOT let down. It's Tiajuana. It just is. I wish so badly Kuri practiced in the US! I paid for and got a very good band placement. He has expertise due to experience that many many US docs don't have. I trust him explicitly regarding my band. I had some trouble after I got home and he was available to answer my calls personally to help me. Here's my list of good and bad...

Bad...Tiajuana. Now, it certainly isn't horrible there, and my sister and I felt safe everywhere we went. It's just another country, I was an alien with no rights there, a little nerve-racking. It's very crowded, the buildings are close togther and very old. I might have had time to appreciate some things about the old buildings had I been there for other reasons. The streets are wide but the lanes are narrow and everyone just kind of whips through town. Kinda funny looking back, but different for me.

Good: Dr Kuri and his team, a general surgeon and a plastic surgeon. They are a well-oiled machine. I heard someone comment about "cattle" and I can see that point. They do many surgeries (4 Bands a day?) plus revisions, repairs, etc if needed) Dr Kuri has it SET UP. He employs many people all over town so noone gives him a hard time and he only hires people that do NOT put his US reputation in jeopardy. It all runs like clockwork. No worries. You will be well cared for in the hospital with nice nurses who have phrases memorized in English, like, "poot dis und-air you tong" (put this under your tongue) I guess tha man makes money hand over fist and shares the wealth enough to keep everything running smoothly. Smart man. Kind and caring. But do the math on 9K X4 a day X21 (?) days a month...I'd give him my money again. He puts it to work.

Good: The price. I, too, was self-pay and couldn't afford the docs in my area. Plus, for the experience Kuri has over others, I coulndn't go wrong.

Good: the Hotel, while it wasn't fancy, it was nice enough and clean enough and my sister felt safe staying there while I was in the hospital that night. I loved the food in the restaurant, others haven't, but I'm quite fond of really fresh pico de gallo and awesome guacamole and they had it. Prices were good.

The Driver Service: be it Miguel (Kuri's driver), or a hotel van, they get you where you need to go without hassle. Dont' obsess, just go along for the ride, you may need to close your eyes on the driving. Take small bills for tipping. US money works well there, and they don't work for nothing. Tipping matters.

wow, I could give you endless other details, but if you settle on Kuri, I will be glad to do my best to prepare you.

Please do a Search on Kuri and any other MX docs you are interested in. PM me if you'd like. I'm an open book and I tell what I think. Others here will do the same. I recommend Kuri, but I tell you to research carefully and decide for yourself. My decision may not be the one for you. Let us know! Good luck!

Or go to the Wish Center in Chicago! Really, some folks just can't do the MX thing and if it's not for you, The Wish Center sounds like a great option! You can PM me here...just click on my screen name, then click Send a Private Message and the form comes up. It's not an IM, so we can't go back and forth like that, but I will get your message and reply. Here, I'll PM you and let you see!