Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UHG!!! The hell our returning soldiers go through

:rolleyes: Apples2 Have I told you I lurves you yet? Young woman .. that hasn't been applied to me in years ... :tongue::tt1:

Its just one day at a time, like I tell a lot of new wives when husbands deploy for the first time. NEVER make plans, ever, you don't know what each new day will bring. This is my 6th deployment so they call me an 'old timer' now. I am the one that they come to before, during and after to help deal with things that pop up, whether its just stress or something major. At times it becomes to much for me, but other times I am glad I can be the voice of reason for a lot of these young kids that don't know what they married (read as the military not the hubbies). The day I got home from my surgery one of the young wives called me in tears because she hadn't heard from her husband in just over a day. I told her to calm down and just wait it out, lines might be down, or he could be just busy and didn't have an opportunity to email her (he did email her the next morning, they were super slammed at work). Then I took an extra dose of pain meds and told my mom to unplug all the phones. :lol:

I knew when I married my husband that he was military and the military doesn't give a rip if you are married or not when you wear that uniform. Its a lot harder for the younger kids to grasp and understand that concept that they aren't in the equation when it comes to the spouses career.

How true, Pix. When you marry someone in the service you marry the service also. Talked to my son a bit ago. He's doing OK. Just needs his space sometimes to get through it all. He is such a great kid. Works hare, takes care of his buddies and sometimes forgets he needs to do the same for himself. My younger son (25 on June 3) is also in the service. Both enlisted when they were 17 and needed our signatures on their contracts. I never, ever tried to talk them out of it. They talked about enlisting since they were young boys. The service is not for everyone but I would like to see boot camp for most young people. lol!

All you can do is support your son. It sounds like you are doing everything you can. I am glad he has a support network. Good luck.

Julie...he'll be just fine. He probably has a better handle on it than his old momma. As a parent of a 27 yr. old, there's only so much they want you to do for them. I am very fortunate that he spills his feelings to me. When my sons were children I always told them they could voice their opinions as long as they did it with respect. Boy...did they voice their opinions!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the post.

I understand. Glad he is goind to be okay. I have a younger son that might join the military so someday I may understand more. Good luck.

Pix, thank goodness the young wives know they can look to your for answers and moral support. My DH is also in the military and hasn't deployed yet (his job here at home makes him one of the last to deploy) but I know I would be a basket case if he did.

My co-worker's hubby is on his 7th deployment since they've been married, all being over in the middle East and his 10th total deployment. She is very strong and I think being former military herself has helped her to know what to expect. She's planning on writing a book about what she's had to deal with while being at home while he's been deployed.

Apples2,

Just wondering if your son was able to get treatment for his PTSD since he's been home. I know there is a stigma associated with psychiatric disorders especially in the military but I also know that it's probably something that should be treated professionally.

Also, last Thanksgiving I went with my husband to Arlington Cemetery to visit his father's grave, he had passed away in 1966. I know it's off the track a bit but it was such a beautiful place and it was so touching being there. I had gone there before about 20 years ago prior to moving from that area but just never remembered what a majestic and moving place it really was. If anyone ever gets a chance to visit Wash. D.C. make sure you go to Arlington Cemetery. We're lucky because we have a special pass to drive to his grave site but there could be a lot of walking involved. brandyII.

Apples2

I can't even imagine what your son is going through, and so many others out there. Your son and your family is my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless ALL who have served our country!!

Apples2

I can't even imagine what your son is going through, and so many others out there. Your son and your family is my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless ALL who have served our country!!

My son is actually doing a lot better this week. He went to Memorial Day services this morning. I think the toughest part for him was being in the midst of everything when his buddies were hit. He has a huge advantage in that he will pour his heart out and talk about it. I think that is half the battle and it helps him to work through things when it gets to him. He's strong and he knows that this is something that will revisit from time to time.

I hope and pray that things will continue to calm in the middle east. God Bless all who gave their lives and God Bless their loved ones.

BrandyII. Thanks for your concern. As I stated above, my son is doing better. He does have resources he can rely on and will and has used them when necessary.

Apples2,

I'm glad, just was worried that's all. Like you said if he's able to express himself and has people to talk to, especially a caring parent like you, I'm sure he'll get through it, take care brandyII.

Apples2, I'm glad your son is doing better. I hope he continues doing well and I'm glad he is able to deal with this. God bless your son and your family!

Apples, I just wanted to stop in ask you to thank your son for me. I have the deepest gratitude for all of our men and women in the service and retired from the service. And best of luck with his PTSD. I hope everything gets better for him.