Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 3 weeks post-op, not including 1 week pre-op liquids, and asked my Dentist about the chapped areas in the corners of my mouth. Ive been putting neosporin on it twice a day, and they won't go away (over a week). not cold sores, my dentist said it looks like a Vitamin B deficiancy. Has anyone had isssues with this? I've been taking chewable Flinstones Vitamins since surgery.

Did you ask the dentist to run a blood test? That is most likely the only way they will be able to tell if that is the problem for sure. I do know that people who have had gastric bypass are required to take sublingual B-12 because they have malabstorbtion problems. I have also seen people get chapped in that area from excessive licking.

no, she didn't run a blood test. I just asked her to look as a favor. I would assume it was just chapped/irritated from the dry weather, but I've been putting stuff on all day, and never have had this problem before.

I get that when i use a particular type of toothpaste, if you very concerned get the doctor to do some bloodtests, think bloodtest are better than a guess.

Just a word on the b-12 deficiency. This takes a blood test to determine. If you're diabetic, and if you were on glucophage (metformin), you might have a deficiency. There are some people who actually need shots once a month to get the b-12 that they need. My mom needs the shots and my sister should be on them, but she has a stupid welfare doc who prefers to give her supplements - BUT they don't work at all.

Also, those dry spots/cracking at the corners of your mouth might be from dehydration. ARe you getting at least 64 ounces of non-caffinated beverages a day?

Best of luck. Ask your doc to run a B-12/Folic Acid/Ferratin test.

Barbara

I was told to take B1 every day, B12 once/week, Iron once/day, Calcium 2x's/day and a multi 3x's/day.

i'm not that good about it.

the ole' freddy flintstones aren't going to cut it.

hope that helps.

Not sure about the problem your having but I was told by my nurse that flintstone vitiams were ok to use that is what the Barix clinic recomended I use I am not banded yet 05/28/08

so I originally posted on 5-20, and I'm still having this problem. The corners of my mouth are cracked and irritated and nothing is working! I have tried leaving it alone, Neosporin and every kind of lip stuff you can imagine.

I know I'm not drinking enough, I'm still getting used to not drinking while I eat, but I'm trying. I have been taking 1000mg B-12 (under the tongue) and switched yesterday to Usana chewable vitamins. My (band) Dr. said it's nothing. I'm giving it a couple more days then I'm calling my regular Dr.

This is where I feel quite passionately that the Protein first rule is seriously flawed.

I get that Protein is important and I totally believe one of the keys to weight loss is eating less carbs. But to tell a bandster that protein is the god of all nutrients, with our tiny stomach space, leads to many people eating virtually ONLY protein and nowhere near enough fruit and vegetables. You need two fruits, and five different vegetables per day, and that's almost impossible if you always eat the chicken first!

Not to mention that wholegrains contain valuable nutrients - including B's and E.

Taking a supplement is not the same thing at all, they do not understand the science of supplementing yet, but its still pretty much the view that supplements dont replace food - possibly due to the synergies between different substances in our food.

I would definitely try to eat a bit of EVERYTHING on my plate, try to include more plant based foods and less protein foods (whilst still keeping an eye on my protein intake).

You're 3 weeks post op so that may not be so relevant, I'd be surprised if ANYONE got all they need in the post op period, it will improve as you heal.

I know this is an old post but I wanted to weigh in. I have been searching for sores inside the mouth and found this. It's called Angular cheilitis. Angular cheilitis.

I've had this before, it's annoying. Makes me realize I haven't been eating properly.

this is a very old post, but since it's been revived, I think it's important to note that dehydration causes the same symptoms--and is a far more likely culprit, especially so close to surgery.

I had the same exact thing a few months ago and posted about it. My dentist thought that it might be a Vitamin K deficiency so I bought some Viactiv that includes it. In the real world, I think you find it in leafy greens. As Jachut said, you do need to diversify your diet a bit. I'm guilty sometimes of the Protein in lieu of fruit and vegetables thing, so on my end that could have played a part. It's very uncomfortable. I feel your pain!

Oh - I also picked up the pace on the Water so that could have been part of the solution as well. When in doubt, drink more water!