Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Why Why??

Okay, I can't pull the thread about fills - that's not my personal gripe. Mine was more on the lines of, "Can I eat pizza? I'm a week out." That post is around here somewhere.

I can see the point others are making about the language being different. But, even then LBT has a shortcuts post where you can read all about what pb and sliming are. (Not that it's easy for everyone to find, and I admit that it's much easier to just ask. So, personally I don't fault people for that.)

But, if it's not the language/acronyms that's the issue, instead someone really doesn't "get" the rules of the band, I maintain that those questions should have been answered before surgery was done.

I call Bull**it, show me a post from someone who has been banded asking what a fill is. I will admit that I have seen post's from people considering the band that asked what a fill is but I have never seen one from a banded person.

When I first came here 3 years ago I was considering the band and asked questions while doing my research. For example I had no idea what a PB was or what slimeing was so I did a search and found some information. I can honestly say however that I did not truly know what they were until I experienced them first hand.

So show me that post or I say Bull**it

Why don't people do their research? You have a band or are getting a band and don't know what a fill is? HELLO????? Geez, before I got my band, I read and read and read and found out EVERYTHING I possibly could.

I think most of the time its because people think they need to totally *trust* their surgeon/doc/hospital etc. I'm not saying that you shouldn't but honestly so many people refuse to take on the responsiblity of anything these days when they really should. They EXPECT the doctor/surgeon/nurse etc. to give them ALL the information that they need when that is honestly impossible. Since people can't read minds. They can give you enough paperwork/phamplets/information to deforest the Amazon but if your of the mindset that the doctor will *Tell* you everything you need to know. It won't do you much good.

Another is the doctor did cover it but used different terms, didn't put enough emphasis on something. Or they just didn't hear/comprehend it. So therefore don't remember. Or just plain old forgot.

Or its the case of *magic pill* they are so desperate to be thin that they have a mindset that its going to work like magic. And the things they do won't matter much because the *magic* will do it for them.

Personally I look at it this way. I have the internet. In this day and age when it only takes a few moments of my time to put something into google and search for info. Why not use it to its fullest advantage?

People are quick to search for online for hobbies, chat rooms, games and so many other things. But they can't or won't take the time to look up a possible life altering medical procedure??

While I personally can't imagine NOT doing research on something this important. I know there are tons of people who don't even think to bother till after they realize they don't know the answer or have a problem with something.

Also I think theres sometimes a mindset that if they know about the possiblities of complications that maybe *it won't happen to me* kind of thing.

And I expect even after being a visitor to this board for months now once I get my band I will probably still have to ask questions that I didn't think of beforehand despite my research.

It is hard to see many of the same old posts that sound like they didn't listen to the doctor or research. I guess for me its doubly hard from the frustration I have at the moment just getting the band in the first place. lol

Like I said in another thread, lack of post-op knowledge is understandable to me in situations of emergency surgery. I don't think there is any legitimate excuse to not be knowledgeable about what you'll likely be going through after an elective surgery, especially in this day and age, regardless of what terminology is used. And that goes double when it is an elective surgery that for most people will take weeks, if not months, to arrange. Yes, your doctor should inform you, but you shouldn't rely on him/her and the staff to make sure you get all the information. Whether you and your doctor call them fills or adjustments, you should know you'll need them BEFORE you get sliced open.

I tend to agree with Lovekatz and snowbird. There are very few people that would buy a car or have a major home repair done by blindly trusting what "some dude" said....yet that's essentially what's happening. I place more blame on shyster doctors that aren't educating their patients, but as snowbird put it - "Who gets an elective surgery without knowing anything about it".

I think most people tend to have a bit more faith in their doctor(whom they've presumably had good experiences with)than any random plumber that shows up at their front door...that said, my husband is a physician and I know first hand why you shouldn't take every word out of their mouths as golden. My husband is an incredible doctor. He's smart, caring, compassionate and would walk to the end of the earth for his patients. He isn't afraid to look something up or talk to an associate when he is stumped or wants another opinion. the point is, they are human too. Sure trust your doc, build a relationship with them but please don't have blind faith either.

TerriDoodle, the subject of the appropriateness of the rants and raves threads for newbie introductions to the forum has come up in other threads. I think it was you (or another mod) who suggested excluding the R&R threads from the list of new posts on the Home Page. Has this been done? I think it is a VERY sensible idea, as most of the newbies don't need these threads as part of their first introduction to our forum. This is a great place for us to let off steam, but we risk alienating newcomers who don't see the forum warning when accessing this from the Home Page.

Fanny, this has been done.

oh dear. I'm still in the pre surgery satisfying the insurance company stage. I came back here for some inspiration to stick with it. This is the first post I saw. made me a little scared to stay.

Anyone know of a "safer" gastric band forum?

Don't be scared some people get cranky when they're losing weight, but I'd stay away from this section for a while, it can get kind of freaky!!!!!:unsure: