Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm down almost 80 pounds since banding on Oct 22 07. None of that in the last 3 months. Found out why. My thyroid is producing NADA. On some meds now that are helping a little with fatigue, dr going to up dosage to see if that takes care of everything else.

First of all not everything works for everybody. That said here are some suggestions I got from my Dr.

1. Are you eating 60-100gm of Protein a day?

2. Are you eating 25gm of Fiber a day?

3. Are you avoiding all liquid calories?

a. Soup can be sign of "soft calorie syndrome"

b. Alcohol contains a lot of calories-7 cal per gram

1) it's also a stomach irritant

c. fruit juice is just sugar Water.

4. Are you making healthy food choices from a wide variety of foods?

a. Are you avoiding soft foods?

b. You can't just eat what's easy, (foods that are liquid, very soft or crumble through the band easily)

c. cheese is glorified fat. Limit your quantitiy to 1-2 oz. per day

5. Are you drinking, 6-8, 8oz glasses of Water a day between meals?

6. Are you eating too much junk food?

a. chips, chocolate, nuts, ice cream, Cookies and other highly processed junk foods are claorically dense to be regular parts of your healthy diet. But don't avoid them completely to the point where you feel deprived.

b. Stay out of fast food places.

7. Are you getting in two servings of Calcium daily?

8. Do you always eat the Protein first?

9. Then do you eat vegetables or fruits?

a. Five servings a day

b. Potatoes are NOT a vegetable.

10. Is you portion size, appropriate?

a. meat or fish

1) 3 ounces-the size of a deck of cards.

b. Vegetables

1) 1/2 cup-the size of your fist.

c. Starch

1) If you eat the protein and the vegetables first you don't need much

2) Avoid: rice, potatoes, Pasta

11. You might try avoiding artificial sweeteners.

a. Some people think that artificial sweeteners stimulate the appetite.

b. They are HUNDREDS of times sweeter than sugar.

c. They teach you to like things too sweet.

d. There is no evidence that people who use them are any thinner than people who don't.

12. Avoid most diet foods.

a. Real food usually tastes better.

b. Real food is more satisfying than low calorie substitues

c. When you're only eating a tiny bit the caloric savings is not that great

1) Use a teaspoon of real butter instead of a tablespoon of diet margarine.

2) The body has no way to break down artificial fats.

a. They may go into permanent storage

b. Some people think liposuction is the onlyway to remove hydrolyzed fats from the body.

If you look at the slim-fast Protein Bars yes they have protein in them but also about as many calories as your average candy bar. Not really such a good trade off. Also the shakes are liquid and flow right through the band therefore leaving you feeling hungry before too long. I know this sounds weird but EAT your protein, you will be satisfied longer. I find the deli turkey is very easy to eat on the run (if you have to)

These are just the first 12 questions you need to ask yourself. In my experience when you go on a "diet" most people drastically reduce their intake (which is what you would think to do) this puts you body in starvation mode thinking it is not going to get anymore therefore it hangs on to what it has. The lapband is a tool not a magic solution. It is to be used to help you make healthier choices. If you look at what you were eating before surgery, hamburgers, french fries, cake, cola, etc. more than likely well over 1200 calories a day. If you were to get a food guide pyramid and measure your portions, eat your recommended daily allowance of food (protein, fruits, vegetables, etc) and limit to around 1200 calories your body would be getting its nutrients and not feel as if it was starving. You on the other hand would not feel tired, drug out, listless etc. Better choices-not easy choices.

O.K. I will get off my soap box now. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but sometimes we need a dose of reality. I know I did and after doing more research I have found there are some good points here. It is a tough road we are on. Keep looking towards the destination and good luck. We are here if you need us.

Love2ride,

Those are great tips, thanks for taking the time to post them. I have found that I have been eating the 'easy, soft' foods and I think that has really hampered my weight loss.

I'm going for a fill tomorrow - I think that will help me a lot (at least mentally if not physically)...and being on liquids for 2 days sure won't hurt either. So it will be interesting to see how close I am to Onderland!

I'm also trying to limit my cheese intake (that's an easy 'quick' Protein and I need to get away from that). Nuts have been a godsend for me. I'm eating the almonds and trying to stay away from the cashews (which I LOVE).

I DO need to up my Protein, however, I find I'm not eating as much protein as I need to be. I know that will help too.

I have to keep telling myself to eat 'naturally occurring foods' (something I learned a long time ago. Of course with the exception of potatoes and rice).

Banded1007, Bandedmom and momoftwins...how are you guys doing? Are things going any better for you guys?

beckymein1021

Good luck with your fill. I have been having trouble finding my "sweet spot" it is really hard in the afternoons and evening. Morning I am fine. I find if I want something sweet to munch on the caramel rice cakes are really good and only 50 calories. Hope some of the suggestions help. Let me know if you want more. Have a good day.:thumbup:

Thanks luv2ride! I was so discouraged this morning (I got on the scale for the first time in 2 weeks and only did it because I'm getting a fill today) and I was SO disappointed! I either hate my scale OR my body or both.

My scale and I no longer have an amicable relationship. IT clearly hates me, so I'm going to continue to ignore it and hope that it will change its ways (or at least change the story it keeps telling me).

This has been SUCH a struggle to get into 'Onderland' that I'm beginning to think I may never get there...but I find it so hard to believe this is far as the lap band is going to be able to take me. I really want to lose the extra 60 lbs. SO badly. Sigh.

Well, wish me luck with the doctor today. I hope he tightens me ALOT (but not TOO much, I don't want band erosion or constant PBing either). WHERE o WHERE is my sweet spot????

Hey Becky,

Just wondering how you were doing today. Did you get your fill? I know the last time I went in for my fill I had gained 8/10 of a pound. That is even worse I think than not losing. So she pulled out what she could to see how much I had and only got 7 an a half. After we had been counting we had it to 9.1cc but in reality I didn't have near that much. I don't feel any major restriction unless I over eat. My problem is I don't know when to stop. Let me rephrase that. I do know when to stop but am still in the mind set that you need to finish what you have on your plate or just a few more bites. I can still eat anything out there even bread which is supposed to ball up and be hard to get down, me no problem right on down. I have been craving ice cream so badly and that has been really hard.

Hope things are going better for you today. Hang in there and let me kmow how you are doing.

Hi Luv2Ride,

It went very well with my doctor yesterday. He was telling me how well I had done and I reminded him that 15 lbs. in 5 months is not great success in MY book. So we talked about strength training (he's really encouraging me to start doing some weights - muscle weighs more that fat and burns calories even when you're not working out, etc.). I got the feeling from him that he didn't feel the 'Curves' workout was working me hard enough.

He also told me to eat NO food that is taken out of the ground (potatoes, rice, carrots <WHY carrots, I'm not so sure>) and to stay away from the refined sugar and flour. I told him I was doing short cuts and eating mostly 'soft foods' that I knew would go down easily. He told me to start eating more fish and to make sure I got all my Protein in. He said (and I know we've all heard this before) Protein first, then veggies and carbs last.

He gave me a fill (just a wee one), I didn't need much, but I could feel that it was tighter. I told him I had eaten 1/2 a hamburger the night before for dinner. He said if I could get the bun down without problems, then I definitely needed a fill.

So I'm on liquid for 2 days and then soft foods for 2 days, then he wants me to concentrate on the fish. He said he'd rather see me eat something solid (like FISH) than to 'drink' my dinner (like an instant breakfast). He said part of the problem is that the liquids/mushies aren't staying with me as long and I'm feeling hungry sooner. He said the Proteins will stay with me longer.

So I'm going to dust off my 24-hour Fitness card and maybe get over there and start doing some circuit training. He said I should be a little sore when I start (which I haven't been at all at Curves).

That's about it in a nutshell. He's real big on fish, so I'm going to go to costco and check out their salmon, they have a good variety of really good fish.

How are YOU doing? Seeing the light at the end of the 'slump' tunnel?

Hang in there - check in and let me know how you're doing...

We WILL defeat this battle of the bulge!!