Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hello out there, a newbie here

Hi, Ive been looking into getting the lap band done. I have alot of questions and am hoping that some of yall may have the answers. First off let me tell u a little about me. I am a 36 yr old mom of 3, divorced(not a bad thing!), and am weighing in today @ 280. 6 months before my divorce, my now ex-husband told me point blank that if I would lose 50 ppounds he wouldnt sleep with other women. well, im a contrary sort of person, and only ate more just to spite him. I have never liked my weight. but when i lose weight its gotta be for me and not anyone else. I almost passed out when i stepped on the scale today and saw the 280. My weight just keeps steadily growing. I live in the far north west tenn. and am looking for someone who is nearby who does the procedure. I have bcbs insurance and am also wondering how many hoops will i end up having to go thru to have this done. plus in general how much out of pocket should I be prepared to spend? i have looked at several websites and am seeing many different price scales. and lastly how much postop recovery time am i looking at? thanks again for your help.

Welcome Dixiechic999! Well, I am in FL so no info on drs in your area. But I have Aetna ins and my co-pay was $500 for the hospital and the insurance paid the rest. I also had some copays of $25 for dr visits leading up to the surgery. You should call your insurance co and ask if they cover Bariatric surgery and they can tell you about your coverage. I did not have to jump through any hoops to get it covered just do the various appts ( dietician, nutritionist, pschologist, dr pre op, and have one of my drs send a letter showing I have had 5 yrs of overweight history (my gyn provided that info for the last 7 yrs). So just routine info. My ins had me do the appts over a 3 month time period, so I had two appts a month. Once I complted all the required appts, the dr's office submitted the paperwork to see if it would be covered and I was approved within a week! Then it was just a matter of scheduling the appt with the dr for surgery. I was just banded on May 8th! My best friend did it also the same day, right before me. Our dr gave us two weeks off from work for recovery time. It seems that some others go back to work quicker. We all heal differently. Good Luck with your new life and trying to get healthier for you and your children. I was divorced last year after 20 yrs of marriage. I didn't think I would make it, but it has been for the best. (the divorce was his idea). There is wealth of knowledge here for the taking just read on and ask questions! Take care and Best Wishes!!!

Edited by gojaguars

Hi and welcome. I have BC/BS of Deleware. I have to go through 6 months of classes and testing. It's really not too band. It's very well organized and the time seems to be going fast. I'm in my 3rd month.

I can't help with the doctors in TN but I just had to respond to your post. My exhusband....and notice I say ex.....would not touch me in public when I was only 25 lbs over weight. I was just devasted. He's now remarried to a very nice lady who is just "a little" overweight. Thank goodness I moved on and have married the most wonderful man for me who loves me through think and thin.

Good luck and God Bless.

Hi Dixiechic!

Wow - I won't even comment on the ex husband LOL Anyhoo, I have Bc/Bs in Georgia and my employer specifically excluded Bariatric surgery. If that is the case that is a dead end. I am opting to self pay and I am paying 16,500 for the entire package.

Alicia

Surgery date: 8/5/08

Hi Dixie, I live in Murray Ky. Our surgeons are preparing to start doing the lapband surgery on hospital employees and their family members, but after the new year, they will be working with the public. Dr Swain will be the surgeon. And there is also a VERY experienced Dr in Paducah-Dr Argote-at Lourdes hospital. He does the band and the bypass. You might wanna make a couple of calls to get info. Hope I helped.

Hello, I'm glad to know that you're taking care of yourself for yourself! While I haven't had the surgery yet - I'm currently in a 12-week behavior modification class (one hoop/requirement for me prior to surgery). However, I think you should first check the American Society of Bariactric Surgery site for a CERTIFIED surgeon/program in your area American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (2) research as much as you can abou the lapband. This site is awesome and you will find tremendous support (especially with encouragement and support that you don't seem to get from that gem of a husband of yours). (3). Know the surgery is for your health and that slim body/size 6/8 jeans are only bi-products of your better health. Please tay in touch and all the best to you.