Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does it really take you after the lapband to eat?

My Dr. and many others in the whole program says that you have to take 20-30mins to eat. Now, I never have been a fast eater, nor do I ever inhale my food. Even when I put my fork down and chew my foods 15-20 times each bite and my bites are small, it still doesn't take me 20mins to eat. It takes maybe 10-15 mins for the small amount of food that my dietitian says that I need to eat. Now I haven't even had the lap band yet and it makes me wonder with how lil' I eat now and its takes 10-15 mins to eat, its not going to take me 30 mins to eat even less no matter how well I chew my food?!

So I am wondering, for the peeps that have had the lap band, whether you are on solid foods or not, how long does it take you to eat?:thumbup:

My Dr. and many others in the whole program says that you have to take 20-30mins to eat. Now, I never have been a fast eater, nor do I ever inhale my food. Even when I put my fork down and chew my foods 15-20 times each bite and my bites are small, it still doesn't take me 20mins to eat. It takes maybe 10-15 mins for the small amount of food that my dietitian says that I need to eat. Now I haven't even had the lap band yet and it makes me wonder with how lil' I eat now and its takes 10-15 mins to eat, its not going to take me 30 mins to eat even less no matter how well I chew my food?!

So I am wondering, for the peeps that have had the lap band, whether you are on solid foods or not, how long does it take you to eat?:thumbup:

It should take you no LONGER Than 30 mintues to eat but about 30 mintutes to eat as well. If that makes since.

It does take me from about 20-30 mintues. And that is ok for MY Doc.

Some things will take a little long like meats. But Try to slow down some more. When you think you have chewed your food enough Chew MORE !

I can almost bet even when you think your chewing enough NOW w/ out the band you need to chew more when you have the band.

I still have problems remembering this or "judging" This almost a yr out .

It will take you that long !!

Mindy

I'm on solid foods. I have excellent restriction right now. It takes me 20-30 minutes, and I push more towards 30 mins. I also limit the food on my plate to 1/2 cup'ish, depending on what it is. It takes me about 10 mins to eat an egg in the morning. The reason is that it takes about 20 mins for your stomach (and your Lapband pouch) to tell your brain that it is full. The couple of times that I wasn't paying attention and didn't chew as much as I should have caused me a great deal of pain.

Once you reach restriction, you will know the reason why it takes more time to eat. Too fast can be very painful. My advice, go slow and know your limits.

Good luck!

Cherlita

banded 11.27.07

Wgt loss: 44 lbs

I have always known, on average when I ate normal it took me 20-30 mins, I have always chewed my food well, before I even considered the lap band. And I have never finished what was on my plate, plus if I eat too fast I get indigestion. So I guess you can say not an issue. But now I am eating less, I chew my food well, I count it..lol call it ocd, I chew it until its like nothing in my mouth and it still doesn't take me 30 mins, that's why I am curious. Plus, I can tell when I am full before the full feeling, when I am eating and if I have to take a deep breath, then I am full! lol

So I guess after I get the lap band, I will have to figure out what is my limit...

Now when yall were on liquids did you have to take 20-30min to drink too? Not like I am gulping my drinks.. but what is to fast and what is to slow?:wink2:

I spoke to my dietitian and she said.. if you feel full at 10-15 stop eating!!! She said the point is to be satisfied not full! I agree! :cool: