Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy "sweet spot" question....what next?

I had my 3rd fill a week ago tomorrow and WOW what a HUGE difference this one made!

I am able to eat solid food but very little and I stay full for long periods of time. I have lost six pounds since my fill but I know that will slow down ( I did liquids the first two days ) I don't think I am "to tight" because I am able to eat food and I keep it down and <knock on wood> I haven't had problems with being stuck soooooooo I think this may be "the Sweet Spot" I have heard so much about. My question is if this is THE sweet spot where do you go from here ? Meaning your next fill. My surgeon wanted to see me in four weeks but I opted to see where I stand before getting another fill.

So if this is my "sweet spot" is the next fill sweeter? <laughing> :(

Laurinda,

Its awsome you have great restriction. What size is your band? How much are you getting with each fill? I will get my 3rd fill on wedensday. I have a 14ccAP band. I have been having them once a week at the hospital with flouroscopy. I got 2cc at time of surgery, 3cc first fill, 2cc second fill, with a total of 7 cc. I can eat anything including bread so any weightloss is by using willpower. The radiologist said to come in every week until I have good restriction. I live in Alberta Canada so Alberta Health covers my fills. I did self pay for surgery in Denver because the wait lists were 2to 3 years. I hape to get to the place your at fairly soon.

Lizzieann

I'm not 100% sure the size of my band. When I asked the doctor he rattled off some numbers and letters? I know I have 3 cc in right now. He said "most" women go up to about 5 cc < I am sure his patients > I am happy with my restriction just curious about the next one < when the time comes >

I think your sweet spot will stay sweet until you lose some more weight, and that band is looser. You'll have to eventually get "topped off" as your hunger increases....

The monthly visits are very important, whether you're losing weight or not. The doctor wants to monitor your progress. Too much weight being lost, they're going to unfill you a little bit. I know that might horrify some of you, but I lost a lot of hair during my 100 lbs fiasco that scared the bejesus out of me because I ate terribly, nothing nutritious, mashed potatoes loaded with butter and southwest eggrolls...but I kept losing because my restriction was so tight. Fortunately I have a lot of hair and it wasn't noticeable except when I wore black suit jackets...but I put a stop to that by going vegetarian and following the blood type diet, which is the last regimen I will ever need!

If you are not losing fast enough, they'll bump you up a little.

I could swear the thinking at my doc's office was:

1. Fill - liquids 2 days (lose weight)

2. Mushy foods 2 days (lose more weight)

3. Solid/regular...which makes you maintain for another 3 - 4 weeks til next follow up.

Like clock work, 4 - 8 lbs a month. I always lost the most during fill time and then it was just my body dealing with the lost fat. Then my body would be like "OK...lord...we can survive with those 8 lbs, I just made the adjustments, we should be able to hang on to calories again!" and then I thwart it with another fill :wink2:

Your sweet spot will continue to be your sweet spot until it no longer is your sweet spot! No, the next one won't be sweeter if you don't need it. It could make your life miserable so try to be content with where you are, since you are losing weight. The thing that might make you need another fill would be losing weight - your stomach shrinks and the band loosens. I got to my sweet spot after my 5th fill, and I lost 17 pounds before I needed another fill, and even then I only got half a cc. as a 'topper'. Most doctors won't give you another fill if you have had good weight loss (5-10 pounds a month is normal, it isn't as fast as we all want it, but it is what the band is supposed to do.) So enjoy being at your sweet spot (it really is SWEET, isn't it???) and don't try to speed up the weight loss by getting tighter. You are doing great!!! Keep up the good work!

Thanks ya'll for your replies! Heck no I have no plans on "speeding" anything up with another fill to soon! After my near death experience with SLIME I am very happy right where I am < Kidding about the near death, just felt that way> :rolleyes:

Great post this gives me some hope! I'm still eating just about anything (just smaller portions by willpower) and would love to have the restriction back I had immediately postop.

ErikMesa :blushing: