Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercising For Weight Loss

I have to admit that the last thing I ever wanted to do was exercise! But -- I have lost and gained the same darn lb for the last 4 weeks. I have gotten in SOME walking but: 1) not nearly enough, and 2) walking won't raise my metabolism. I know I have to get myself on the move! Today I joined a gym (which is a sure sign of true desperation coming from ME). When I meet my new PT at the gym tomorrow I'm going to ask her to help me design a program that will give me the best possible metabolic increase and weight loss I can get over the summer.

I know there's a link on the board for exercise but I thought perhaps other Shrinking Shamrocks would like to really chat about what we are doing --or want to do---or are having a hard time doing to raise our metabolic rate so we can get unstuck.

What are other people doing? I guess I thought we could talk about what's working and what's not working to see that helps any of us.

I walk on the treadmill for anywhere from 15-30 min at 3.5 mph at level 1 incline, 5dys wk, I do eliptOKILL, (haha)15 min 3x week, I usually do that the days I do shorter treadmill, eliptoKILL gets heart rate up faster than treadmill, some find it easier, some harder, also swim laps for 15-25 min 2-3x week,, and I do resistence machines for lower body. I am adding Water aerobics 2x week this week, I have a freind who only does this and just started a few weeks ago, and it knocked 8lbs off after she had plateau'd for awhile.

No offense but, given your age, let me add this warning, I am a young 52, I got a trainer for 5 sessions, 3 were actuall working out. I am now on 8-12 weeks of no upper body workouts per my orthopedic surgeon. The routine they started me on was to help build up my small muscle groups in my upper arms, shoulders etc, the problem is they didn't take into acct that I hadn't worked out in a gym in 12 years and they pushed it too fast too hard, and pulled every muscle in right shoulder, neck,. My dr. said they should have started much slower, no weights for quite a while, I wasn't ready for the intensity they were pushing. You don't necessarily feel it the first few sessions and thats when you can do the most damage. The trainers are not trained to work specifically with older people, understanding their muscle needs. They push us like we are still in our 20's. I am not a quitter, and many people don't think I am in my 50's when they meet me, but I am and yes I am out of shape and need a slower pace when it comes to building muscle tone and balance . I did tell them I had not been in a gym for 12 years and needed to start with the basics again. Just take it slow when it comes to using weights and repettion of movements. When you have built up your ability to move up certainly challange yourself more.

I love working out, I just won't be using a trainer to do it in the future. My Orthopedic surgeon gave me some great tips and moves to use once he releases me to work on my upper body again. My cardio has helped me lose more steadily, have better energy, and sleep better. This isn't to say you can't find a good trainer, just know most of them are trained to work with you the same way whether you are 20-30-40-50 yrs old, and I do believe there is a substantial difference in how that should be done. Good luck

Edited by sugrbear

Jachut----how far do you run? For how long? That's great!

Wow surgbear!!! I'm glad you posted. I have degerative disc disease (and arthritis). I'm just now feeling good enough (41lbs lost) to start a good exercise plan. I know what you mean about younger trainers pushing too hard. When I went to my pre-op class -- some young atheletic trainer came from the local center to lecture a group of aging, very over weight, sick people who were going for bypass. I was the healthest and "skinniest" 1 of the lot!! I couldn't believe what she was telling them to do that to start off! I swear if they had done it -- it would have killed half of them! Those trainers ought to stop and think.

I put a call into my neurosurgeons office today. I want to push myself to do as well as I can but I have to make sure I'm not shamed into doing things that will do more damage to my joints and spine (C5-6) and make me so tired that I get turned off to exercise.

You are an inspiration to me and I'll bet that between my neurosurgeon and the PT I will be able to come up with a program that will be good. Thanks again.

Rugmanforvever, good for you, you know that really is the trick I think, especially as you get older or if you have or have had specific health issues, go talk to your dr.s that deal with your issues and ask their advise first. We often feel like we have to push harder or we are not really trying when in fact we are. We're not kids anymore, we can make decisions for ourselves and they have to respect that. If you have a good trainer that respects that go for it. I plan to keep working out, and improving, I have 6 fantastic grandchildren that are always on the go and when I spend the summer with them or get them for long visits we don't sit around watching tv. I need to stay active and healthy. Its all about taking care of ourselves isn't it. We deserve the best. Good luck with your workouts. Oh yeah don't forget to stretchhhhhhhhhhhhhh. hahaha

I began this process at 473 pounds - way too high for the 375 pound limit of most gym machines. I know of a number of people who've dropped dead while/after exercising, and as a result I've been very careful in my approach.

I'm trying to be graduated, to build up my exercise tolerance and stamina over time. I've started simply, by walking as much as I can; I have a pedometer, and now a Bodybugg. Whereas before I could get winded if I walked a few city blocks, now I walk for thirty or forty blocks at a time without problem.

I've begun to add yoga back into the mix. I love Rodney Yee's 20 minute yoga session in AM/PM YOGA FOR BEGINNERS, which I used to do a lot before losing control of my size. Obviously, at 20 minutes, it's not demanding, and will contribute little to my overall fitness, but it's a key start: when I'm comfortable doing these particular poses, I'll move on to longer, more demanding programs. I am gaining in cardiovascular health, and my joints are grateful for the gentle stretch.

I bought a set of dumbells; I tried using them last month, but was a bit wary of the pulling sensation and subsequent burning I felt around my port, and shelved them for a bit after I learned that some doctors recommend no heavy lifting for 3 months post-banding. Next month, though, I'll phase them back in. And I have a balance ball and a few DVDs, although I'm a bit wary of that thing!

When I hit the 100 lb lost mark (I'm down about 70 now), I'll hit the gym. I'll start off doing cardio very gently, then add in strength training with a personal trainer, and gradually ramp up both.

And I'll go from there.

I love working out, I just won't be using a trainer to do it in the future. My Orthopedic surgeon gave me some great tips and moves to use once he releases me to work on my upper body again. My cardio has helped me lose more steadily, have better energy, and sleep better. This isn't to say you can't find a good trainer, just know most of them are trained to work with you the same way whether you are 20-30-40-50 yrs old, and I do believe there is a substantial difference in how that should be done. Good luck

sugrbear - your more than correct with this statement!

i bought my memebership to the gym a year before my surgery, but didn't go until a month afterwards. i knew i wanted a trainer, having used one in the past & had great results - but that was a few yrs ago, and in the course of gaining weight, i also developed a form of RA.

while walking on the treadmill i "watched" all the trainers in my gym to see which one i wanted. i watched how they worked with their clients - which ones did the SAME routine w/everyone, those who look like they were going thru the motions "just a job", until i eye'd my trainer. i had been watching him for 2+ months and was planning on signing up w/him when he approached me. he said he sees me daily, i "appear" commited and would i like a free assessment. well i knew i wanted to work with him, i told him my issues w/arthritis - can have hip/wrist/ankle pain at times & the results i was looking for. he modifies every workout to how i feel that day, mind you he does kick my A** - he just is really motivated to help me get the body i want. he's as invested as my band dr it seems at times, and i appreciate that.

i think it's important to find someone who can listen to you & how your body is feeling - one that creates a program specifically for you...not the next client.

good luck!!

ps - fenton, great job!!!

Fenton, sounds like you have a plan, and understand your current limitations but have goals in mind and are walking towards them not away.

Luluc, your right, I also worked with a trainer 13 yrs ago had her for 2 yrs and it went really well, she was an independant, and took more of a personal interest in what was going on and what I needed to reach my goals. You took an interesting approach, waiting and watching for the right trainer, good for you.

There are plans out there for all of us, I think just by posting these several threads we are helping each other better educate ourselves on what to look for and how to find the best help out there. Thanks for all the additional input. Good luck to us all.

Has anyone tried the Urban Rebounder? I am considering purchasing one because it advertises that does not affect your joints. I have arthritis and bone spurs. In fact, my orthopedic doctor told me I have the knee of a 70 year old. That's twice my age! Anyway, running is no longer an option, but I want something that will work quickly - It claims to burn 569 calories on an average sized person - so I figure I should burn that in half the time!!! - I think I'm going to post this outside of here to get more feed back.

The Urban rebounder I'm talking about is the one this MSN Fitness about. I read about it here:

4 Fun Ways to Fight Fat - MSN Health & Fitness - Fitness

and on its own site:

Urban Rebounding program is a fun workout for all ages, shapes, and sizes.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!!

Edited by enjoylife

Hey Enjoylife, I checked out your urban rebounder, since it is a trampoline based piece of equipment I can not even try this because I suffer with early stages of menuars (veritgo) . sorry can't give you practical feedback, I would say however I would consider the following before investing in it, how good is your balancing, your knees and ankels? My grandkids all have trampolines but they were warned by peditrician that they see high rate of ankel injuries, knee injury from falls.

My daughter in law works in ER and sees adults come in with injuries from people jumping and getting feet etc stuck in sides of trampoline. If you have a good balance center and are well co-ordinated go for it, otherwise I would think twice. If you get it let us know how you do with it. Good luck.

EnjoyLife I second the motion. Go to a gym and use one. Most gyms have a free trial. Either a day or a week. Go and use the equipment and see what you can and like to use. For me I get bored doing the same thing all the time. Plus I know I would be one of those folk in the ER having stepped off the edge.

Edited by ajoneen

I started with a trainer at the beginning of this month. I need accountability . Im the kind of person who doesn't really self-start exercise and I never remember how to use the machines. The pain in the pocketbook helps too.

I stalled with weight loss for about 5 weeks and needed to kick start my metabolism. I am very happy with my trainer and the progress these past weeks.

I thrilled the good weather is here. I love to kayak and swim so that will help with the exercise too.

Fenton I love my balance ball. I sit on it to fold laundry and sometimes just to get a really good stretch of my back(laying on it and rolling back). My trainer uses it for ab work.

luluc great idea to watch trainers at the gym, seeing them in action.

Good luck to all!!

ajoneen, your right, using free trial runs at a gym is a good way to see if they have enough variety of equipment, if the gym is cool enough, when are good times to come, how well do they take care of the equipment etc. Or just try out equipment you are thinking of buying for your home. I need to be in a gym to stay motivated. I like being with other people working out.

When I used trainers before I used private ones, I had seen in the gyms I used. Only then they were 25.00 hr and she gave great massage's so if you were already a client it was 20.00 for an hour. You can't beat that. I really miss her.

I upped my cardio today, longer time on elipTOKILL (haha) and more time on treadmill, with pace up a bit. and added 20 min on the bike, then did laps for 15 min. We will see how I feel in morning. LOL

People are doing a lot of good posting to that I can really relate to. I'm glad we are talking about this.

I started at the gym a couple of days ago. I can't quite believe it myself as I'm a TOTAL couch potato! I hope this works.

The trainer has me starting with 2 sets of the following: 10 mins on the treadmill with a bit of an incline. She says great incline as opposed to fast speed is easier on the knee joints. After that I do 15 reps on several different machines and 2 exercises with free weights. She is making sure I'm not lifting anything over my head due to disc degeneration on 3 vertebrae. Then I end the set with 5 mins of interval training on an upright cycle. I do this every other day and I also do cardio on the opposite days.

I have to say that it is enough for the moment. It's all I can handle and I definitely work up a sweat on this. My port area really hurts while I'm doing this but I'm thinking that it's probably normal. My MD said I could do the exercise.

So far I'm not seeing a weight drop. I've been stuck for a month but it's only been a couple days now. We shall see.

It sounds like you've found a trainer who really understands and works with your limitations, Penny.

I'm almost at the weight where the gym is a more realistic proposition, but all of the trainers are these muscle-y young dudes or hardbodied chicks - I'm a bit wary of their aptitude for dealing with me.