Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really Stressed Out

This is the first time I have talked to anyone about my procedure that has been through the surgery. I had the procedure done last year (April 2007) and I seriously regret having the procedure done (well 99% regret) I have lost 60 lbs. but my experience has been horrible. I heard people talk about the procedure prior to my surgery at my doctor's office and they made it sound so wonderful, and maybe it was. When I awoke from my surgery I was in the worst pain I had ever felt. I was not given medication until for almost an hour because they had an emergency that the nurses were tending to. I made every effort to follow rules and did. I never saw my doctor after surgery because he had a family emergency and had to leave out of the country. I was released two days after my surgery and was over 600 miles from home. I had to sleep in a chair for two weeks because the pain was horrible. Then when it was time for the initial fill (June 2007), they could not get to the port. I was scheduled for a fluroscopy and the port was facing inward. I had to have surgery again in July 2007. The port ended up turning again, however the radiologist found a way to get to the port by having me lay in different positions. Since then they have only been able to fill it three times in the past year and 1 month. During this time I have had pain on my upper abdomen as though something is pushing against my ribs. I cannot lay on my stomach and many activities are painful. I kept calling the doctor as well as my husband and I complained when they messed up on scheduling, the doctor yelled at me and told me that I was basically on my own. (Awesome surgeon with terrible bedside manners). I had heard him treat his staff badly but I didn't think he would do the same to his patient. The whole time I was complaining it was in a polite way and was never rude. I called my insurance company crying once we walked out the door and they took a report. Since then he has been better but I don't feel as though I can talk to him without possibly being yelled at. I was sooo depressed for many months and my poor husband had to put up with my constant crying. I have to go for a fill on Wednesday and I am sooo dreading that the procedure won't work and I will have to have surgery again. I've missed sooo much work and have spent soo much money. I'm sooo heartbroken. It wasn't about my personal appearance that I had this surgery, although it is a perk. I just wanted to feel healthy again. I feel so bad that I'm constantly unable to do so many things. it has affected my marriage and I feel very alone. Sometimes I think that maybe it's just me..... I followed the rules to a T and here I am a year later wishing I never had this done. As you can tell I am venting so I hope whoever reads this does not mind. I was not expecting rapid weight loss but I was expecting that I wouldn't still be hurting.:(

Vic -- I wish I could help you but I really have only one thing to say, "You need to find a new Surgeon!!!" You're in Dalas according to your profile, I'm sure there are several Bariatric Surgeons!

OMG! Ditto, find a new surgeon. You deserve much better treatment. Don't let that doctor get you down. It's not your fault. He's an arrogant sh*t.

Good luck.

Bless your heart it is time to move on and start a new *new beginning! I agree with the other, find a new surgeon! Good - luck to you !!

Remember you deserve the best you can give yourself!

First of all, I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. I know it has to be very disappointing.

Your story about your doc yelling at you reminded me of another story I read by another poster. She is in Arlington. Since you are in Dallas, I couldn't help but wonder if it's the same surgeon. In her story, she was not feeling well and her surgeon yelled at her and stormed out. I know many surgeons do surgeries at many hospitals in the metroplex. I can't remember who it was now, but you might want to look around to see if you can find it. It was titled "horrible hospital experience" or something like that. Anyway, my whole point to all of this is to say that if this is the same doc, two stories of yelling at his patients would warrant not only complaints, but also getting the word out to other potential patients. There is no excuse for that. We all paid a lot of money for our surgeries and there is an expectation of respect and decent care. I'll see if I can find the post as well. I wish you all the best. I hope you feel better soon. And I agree, find another surgeon!!

I found it. It's in the 30's thread and is called My nightmare hospital experience this weekend. I'm sorry, I don't know how to link it directly. Anyway, if nothing else I hope if makes you feel better because you are not alone. Good luck!

Having worked in a doctor's office I can tell you that you have every right to report this doctor to the local medical board and too file a grievance with your insurance company. I would then find a new surgeon ASAP. I went to Journey Lite and I believe they have offices there in your city. It might be worth coming to LA and seeing Dr Helmuth Billy my surgeon he is know for repairing other surgeons errors.

But congratulations on the weight you did lose despite the pain and suffering you have had to endure due to the incompentancy of the surgeon you choose. I wish you all the best in the next part of your band journey.