Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fifties and Plastic Surgery

Has anyone in our age group had PS after weight loss? I'm looking in the mirror and see all this loose skin, then think to myself, why bother to fix it, I'm still gonna be 54 and an old fart. Is it stupid vanity that makes me want to fix what I can fix? I would like to get down to the pool without thinking about all the saggy baggy stuff I am forced to display, but we're retired and taking money out of savings for surgery is a big step.:(

I am certainly going to have PS. Personally, I'm not at old fart stage. My son keeps telling me I'm young and hip!! I'm not losing all this weight to have loose skin. My last half of life is going to be spent looking hot :(

I keep saying the same thing to myself and I'm 40. Its either that or I think I'd better get in and do it now whilst I still have a few short years to enjoy it.

But really - why not? Why is 50 too old? Why is 60 too old? Its all about how you feel about yourself.

Money's an issue though - I feel the same way - I have 3 kids to house and educate, how important can great boobs really be?

I am 58 and just starting and you are darn sure I am getting PS! I have suffered too long with this huge pannus (apron) and gobs of skin and fat!

I laughed so hard the other day as I was explaining the lap band to a young man to tell his obese wife.

He asked, "Are you going to get that origami done with your stomach skin afterwards??" LMBO!! :lol:

(I can just visualize a big folded swan on the old belly!)

I am thinking about it. I was only heavy for 15 years, but it don't go back where it was at this age, does it? Frustrating cuz I have always exercised. I lost 80 poungs, 20 to go...sagging a little bit too!

I am almost 59 and have had my arms, breasts and tummy done since January. I am glad to have the excess skin gone, even if I am not hot hot hot. It is strange to have so many scars, but the skin being gone is a wonderful thing. Best wishes on your decision making.

Mimi

Hey Mimi. I'm 59 and about half-way through my WL. So far, I'm down 60 lbs with about 60 to go. I don't know if I'll need PS in the stomach area. Probably will and don't mind having it. However, I'm very concerned about the arms. I know a lady who had her arms done and the scars are just horrible. They must be a good 2 inches wide from her armpits to her elbows. Are yours like that? I'd almost rather keep my arms waving than to have scars like that.

Thanks.

I'm planning on have PS after I lose all the weight. I was banded June 1, 2010, so, a newbie. It is definately a "buyer beware" situation with plastic surgeons. A scar is a surgeon's signature. Some are sloppy, some are neat as can be and thin, just a line on your arms. Shop around! Ask to see the surgeon's before and after pictures and ask to talk to some of the surgeon's clients. Surgery in Mexico is big business. Some have higher ratings than in the states. It's cheaper in other countries too. Again, talk to someone who's been under that surgeon's knife.

I had tummy, breast lift, and arm lift all done this year. I am 56 and am very glad that I had it done. It really brightened even more so how I felt about myself after weight loss. I'll the the first to tell you my body isn't perfect but I'll also tell you that I am pleased with the way I look.

I would love to have a face lift. I've lost 70 pounds since Aug 24, 2009 and love the way clothes are fitting now - but when I look in the mirror I wonder who that old woman is looking back at me. The face will be first on the list. I'm 58 but not dead yet.

I'm 55 and just had a Tummy Tuck. I have a consult with my ps on September 1 for a consult on a breast lift and augment. After I save some more money I want a face lift next summer! Age doesn't matter. We DESERVE this.

I'm glad someone started this post, because I've been thinking hard about it...I'm 51, and at 65 down since my surgery on 2/26/10 I'm not yet near goal (about 80 more), so it's going to be awhile until I can pursue this. So far, although my face is A LOT thinner, there's not a lot of sagging. I don't think I'm going to end up with a lot of pannus either, although it's still a bit hard to tell. However, my batwings are a-flappin', and I think I'm going to need inner thigh work, too.

I'm doing a lot of personal training to do my best to pull that skin in as much as possible during this phase. Once I get to maintenance, I'll look again and see if I can balance the cost against what I see in the mirror.

Best to all!

Christine

I agree - I'm NOT putting myself in the "old fart" catagory - not yet. I'm 53 but I feel just the same as I did in my 30's and 40's and when I loose this excess weight I have every intention of feeling BETTER!