Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What about a mentoring group? Maybe there is one in place right now.

I am rather frustrated that the band is not working but maybe I'm not doing all I could do. Perhaps speaking with a mentor, sharing foods eaten, exercise done, etc, maybe would help any of us stuck in a rut.

Thanks!

Looking for help at all angles... feeling rather like the lap band is the biggest con ever pulled off ... :confused_smile:

The lapband is not a con, you gotta work. I suggest you get counseling or goto groups etc.

I am rather frustrated that the band is not working but maybe I'm not doing all I could do. Perhaps speaking with a mentor, sharing foods eaten, exercise done, etc, maybe would help any of us stuck in a rut.

Thanks!

Looking for help at all angles... feeling rather like the lap band is the biggest con ever pulled off ... :confused_smile:

Although, I respectfully disagree that the band is the biggest con ever pulled off. I was fully aware that the band was just a tool but what I have learned is that we require support to get us through this journey. I can't go to support group because it is so far away but I have support right here on LBT. If I didn't have support I would have failed by now.

When were you banded? There is a support group on LBT for the month and year that you were banded. This is the best place to get support because they are the people that are going through the same thing that you are. The November Nymphs are my family and we have developed great friendships through the band experience.

There are lots of people who have been successful with the band that offer their experiences on-line here and I am sure would be willing to help you in anyway. Keep coming on here and posting your frustrations because you will find answers. Sometimes it may be what you don't want to hear but always done with respect for the band.

Best wishes,

Cindy

When were you banded? There is a support group on LBT for the month and year that you were banded. This is the best place to get support because they are the people that are going through the same thing that you are. The November Nymphs are my family and we have developed great friendships through the band experience.

Best wishes,

Cindy

Thanks Cindy for your reply. May I ask you what a typical days foods are for you? How much exercise do you do?

Looking forward to sharing with others who have been successful.

Thanks!

This whole site is a mentoring group - all you have to is go to the before & after section - or life at goal section and ask for help.

The band works once you have proper restriction - imho 75% of the work is up to you - your food choices & exercise habits -

Also, mentoring group is also the month you were banded - ie January 2008 - you all should be sharing your banding experience - support etc.

Just ask and you will get the help that you are looking for.

Thanks Cindy for your reply. May I ask you what a typical days foods are for you? How much exercise do you do?

Looking forward to sharing with others who have been successful.

Well, even though I have lost a lot in a short amount of time, I have not really followed much of a diet. The rules that were given me were to eat Protein, fruits & veggies and then carb like foods if still hungry. I am a Protein nut so I eat a lot of protein. My typical diet is this:

Breakfast: 1 scrambled egg, 2oz. Jimmy Dean scrambled sausage, 1/2 oz Chedder cheese and 1/4 of Jimmy Dean Country Gravy. This keeps me satisfied for hours. Although, since my last fill this past Wednesday I can't eat in the morning so I am now doing Low-Carb Protein smoothies...which I love and am addicted to.

Lunch: what ever was left over from supper the night before but always protein laden and veggies. Today was some Jimmy Dean Country Sausage left overs and leftover cheese/spinach dip that I made for an appetizer for a church function all mixed together. That was good and about 1 cups worth.

Dinner: Crockpot cooked all day long chicken with Tyme, mashed cauliflower (mocked mashed potato).

Snack: I eat 15 almonds everyday as a snack. I am thinking about finding some soynuts as a snack because I love nuts but don't like the fat.

I have been on a plateau for about 3 weeks and can't seem to lose the last 3lbs to get to 100lbs.; so I have switched things up a bit to ensure that I lower my carb intake without going overboard. Today I have had 53 grams of carbs higher than most days but still low enough. I try to keep my calories around 1200-1500 per day mostly on the lower end and I log all my food on Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople. I weight myself everyday for accountability. I don't obsess over the scale like some but I like to know everyday how I am doing so that I don't blow it.

I give myself one down day to eat what I want but even now with the band I can't eat as much as I used to. Take Saturday night, I went out with the girls. We went to Uno's. I looked on the internet to make my choice before hand. I went with the Baked Stuffed chicken and Roasted Veggies. I split the meal in 1/2 and put it aside. I ate the other 1/2 the next day. I am a cheap date now. LOL!

As for exercise, I have not done much in the way of exercise up until recently. I have just started Water aerobics last week and really like it. I know that I will need to exercise in order to the get the last 80lbs or so off. I have slowed down for sure but I wouldn't trade my band for the world. I love my Band.

Cindy

I can honestly say having lost 100 pounds as of this morning...this band is not a con. I would love to mentor you...but as fair warning...I give tough love. I am not going to condone poor behavior (I don't do it in my classroom either!), but I would love to support you as you change your life. Please either post here or PM me with 2 days of food that you have eaten (everything...licking cream cheese off the knife, tasting a sauce that you have cooked...they all add up) and tell me how much and what exercise you are doing. From there we can take baby steps and you can see how much this band is really going to work for you!

I'm like Salsa; I'm not warm and fuzzy, but we are all willing to give anyone support. I'm no expert and I hit plateaus frequently, but I am willing to say it is my fault and not the band's.

I do cringe when I see TV ads for lap band surgery. It isn't magical, it isn't effortless, it doesn't stop you from wanting to overeat. But it can work. It provides me a safety net that prevents me from eating enough to gain weight when I would have without it. My way of looking at it is, when I am properly restricted, the band stops me from binging and gaining, but I still have to work to lose weight. I am close to 100 lb less than my highest weight now, and while the band isn't responsible for all that weight, I expect I would weigh at least 80 lb more if I hadn't gotten it.

You can ask for support and help here on a public forum or ask privately via private message. We come on this site to get help and to give it, to share ideas and experiences. Come take advantage of the years of band experience that is available here.

I'm like Salsa; I'm not warm and fuzzy, but we are all willing to give anyone support. I'm no expert and I hit plateaus frequently, but I am willing to say it is my fault and not the band's.

I do cringe when I see TV ads for lap band surgery. It isn't magical, it isn't effortless, it doesn't stop you from wanting to overeat. But it can work. It provides me a safety net that prevents me from eating enough to gain weight when I would have without it. My way of looking at it is, when I am properly restricted, the band stops me from binging and gaining, but I still have to work to lose weight. I am close to 100 lb less than my highest weight now, and while the band isn't responsible for all that weight, I expect I would weigh at least 80 lb more if I hadn't gotten it.

You can ask for support and help here on a public forum or ask privately via private message. We come on this site to get help and to give it, to share ideas and experiences. Come take advantage of the years of band experience that is available here.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who dislikes that lapband commercial - they make it look easy - It's not easy - but it easier than trying to do it without the help of the band...

And yes I Said No - you will find that most successfull banders are going to give you tough band love - but imho - it's what works - you gotta do a lot of mental work to make this a lifetime lifestyle change and you gotta exercise - Prior to getting a trainer I did 4-5 days of cardio - now with trainer 2 days with him and 2 carido..

Thanks everyone. I just PM salsa, but I think what I'll do is cut/paste my PM and put it here... looking forward to lots of your tough-love. It's just what I need. Here is the PM:

Hi,

thanks for your reply to mentor list. I'm going to drop my defenses, and be honest, hoping to turn things around and fall in love with the band again.

about me: I'm a SAHM, with 6 kids. Some in college and some at home, ranging in age from college to preschool. All from the same wonderful dh.

I have a hard time eating chicken or tough meats. I love veggies, ALOT. My doctors plan for me was to eat mostly Protein, some veggies, some fruit, little carbs. I was told to eat 3 meals with 3-4 Snacks to keep my metabolism burning. (maybe that is too much food)

today, so far I've had:

Breakfast, one ounce of cheese, one 24gram Protein Drink (110 calories)

Lunch: 1/3 cup egg salad (homemade with olive oil, mayo), snack size cheetoes (100 calories 13 gram carb,) sugar free dessert cake (90 calories, 12 carb)

Snack: (right now) 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese, some sugar snap peas with blue cheese dip, about 2T

I have bronchitis right now, and a twisted knee. My exercise has slowed right down. I had the knee x-rayed and have Water on it, and an arthritic knee cap. I'm being put on anti-inflammatory meds, and also have been asked to have physical therapy to learn how to use the leg better. I miss the exercise a lot. I do hand weights and lots of chores to stay busy, i.e. laundry, (while standing), picking up, dishes, etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

OH for dinner, I have chili planned. I have it in the crock pot, made from scratch. All good things in it and I added tomatoes, carrots and mushrooms for extra Fiber and nutrition.

After dinner, I haven't even planned anything as of yet, but maybe some melon with ff cottage cheese.

Thanks everyone. I just PM salsa, but I think what I'll do is cut/paste my PM and put it here... looking forward to lots of your tough-love. It's just what I need. Here is the PM:

Hi,

thanks for your reply to mentor list. I'm going to drop my defenses, and be honest, hoping to turn things around and fall in love with the band again.

about me: I'm a SAHM, with 6 kids. Some in college and some at home, ranging in age from college to preschool. All from the same wonderful dh.

I have a hard time eating chicken or tough meats. I love veggies, ALOT. My doctors plan for me was to eat mostly Protein, some veggies, some fruit, little carbs. I was told to eat 3 meals with 3-4 Snacks to keep my metabolism burning. (maybe that is too much food)

today, so far I've had:

Breakfast, one ounce of cheese, one 24gram Protein Drink (110 calories)

Lunch: 1/3 cup egg salad (homemade with olive oil, mayo), snack size cheetoes (100 calories 13 gram carb,) sugar free dessert cake (90 calories, 12 carb)

Snack: (right now) 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese, some sugar snap peas with blue cheese dip, about 2T

I have bronchitis right now, and a twisted knee. My exercise has slowed right down. I had the knee x-rayed and have Water on it, and an arthritic knee cap. I'm being put on anti-inflammatory meds, and also have been asked to have physical therapy to learn how to use the leg better. I miss the exercise a lot. I do hand weights and lots of chores to stay busy, i.e. laundry, (while standing), picking up, dishes, etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

OH for dinner, I have chili planned. I have it in the crock pot, made from scratch. All good things in it and I added tomatoes, carrots and mushrooms for extra Fiber and nutrition.

After dinner, I haven't even planned anything as of yet, but maybe some melon with ff cottage cheese.

I'll let Salsa do the real math - but here's my guesstimate

BF 200 calories - was it low fat cheese

Lunch- 350 calories - again high in fat and carbs

Dinner - Chili 1 cup 250 (did you use turkey or hamburger)

Snack CC 80 - Blue Cheese 150 (fat free or regular)

Snack Melon & CC - 200 calories

Approx 1230 for the day guestimate - that's pretty high if you arent exercise due to your knee & being sick

Here's my Menu example

BF - Weight Control oatmeal 160c or yogurt w/granola 1/4 cup 160 c

lunch - Veggies & Protein 200 Calories

Dinner - 4 oz fish 150 c 1/2 c rice 120 c - veggies 25 calories

3 Snacks a day - 100 c popcorn - 80 calorie sf fudgecicle - 60 c sf pudding - watermelon 100c - peach 100 c - strawberries 50 c

I keep my caloires between 900 - 1200 but I exercise - 3 - 4 days a week too ... 2 days cardio & 2 days weights - this has worked for me since day one - I have had only 1 week in 10 months where I did not lose 1 lbs

I eat sugar free for the most part - low fat - limited carbs

I'll let Salsa do the real math - but here's my guesstimate

BF 200 calories - was it low fat cheese

Lunch- 350 calories - again high in fat and carbs

dinner - Chili 1 cup 250 (did you use turkey or hamburger)

snack CC 80 - Blue cheese 150 (fat free or regular)

Snack Melon & CC - 200 calories

Approx 1230 for the day guestimate - that's pretty high if you arent exercise due to your knee & being sick

Here's my Menu example

BF - Weight Control oatmeal 160c or yogurt w/granola 1/4 cup 160 c

lunch - Veggies & Protein 200 Calories

dinner - 4 oz fish 150 c 1/2 c rice 120 c - veggies 25 calories

3 Snacks a day - 100 c popcorn - 80 calorie sf fudgecicle - 60 c sf pudding - watermelon 100c - peach 100 c - strawberries 50 c

I keep my caloires between 900 - 1200 but I exercise - 3 - 4 days a week too ... 2 days cardio & 2 days weights - this has worked for me since day one - I have had only 1 week in 10 months where I did not lose 1 lbs

I eat sugar free for the most part - low fat - limited carbs

First, ty ty ty! I feel v. special that you took the time to help me, a stranger.

The calories you estimated are not accurate, I entered them in at sparkpeople:

Breakfast: 244

Lunch: 246

Snacks: 161

I'm at 54 Protein 26 carbs, calories 651

My salad dressing was full fat, and so is the mayo in the egg salad. I entered everything in spark people nutrition.One thing my doctor said was to not do low-fat. So I literally got rid of my fat free dressings, etc. It didn't make sense to me, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. He told me NOT to count calories, to only count protein grams, and carbs. I was to eat 90 grams of protein and 70 grams of carbs (or less). ( I haven't done Atkins, but maybe that is that sort of mind set) BUT if you think this is holding me back, then I'm going to go lowfat now.

He is adamant about starting day with Protein Drink and no carbs, so I will continue that. But I will go out and get low fat everything and start counting calories too. What should calories be?

One reason I'm posting so much today is because of the bronchitis and the bum knee. On a good note, the knee is really much much better and I see myself exercising v. soon.

OH the chili. Well I tried something new. I got a v. lean piece of sirloin with no fat on it, it would normally be tough to eat but I've cooked it in a crock pot ALLLLLLLL day. I have added many veggies, Beans, BUT I doubt I will be able to eat it. It is so lean that it looks a little dry. I've added juicy veggies, Tomato sauce, etc, but I have such a tough time with meat. I may have a couple of tablespoons over a salad.

Here is the next tough part for me, stopping eating at night. I feel like I barely can get 1/3 cup of cottage cheese down by day and at night, I finally can eat something of sustenance, so I do. I will make a promise to not eat after 8. Maybe will suck on some sugar free Popsicles. A nutritionist told me to have something filling and high in protein before bed as my last snack... I haven't been doing this. I think over the past few weeks I've just slacked off... I've been at this weight for a long time. Before that it was another plateau that was lifted by dropping 2 pounds. :(

One thing my doctor said was to not do low-fat. So I literally got rid of my fat free dressings, etc. It didn't make sense to me, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. He told me NOT to count calories, to only count Protein grams, and carbs.

I've never heard of a doctor saying not to do lowfat after lapband. Or not keep track of calories. Seems odd to me. Might want to ask him why he says that.

It does sound as though the doctor has an Atkins mindset, which says to count carbs, not calories. That can work, and I have lost quite a bit of weight (65 lb) doing Atkins, but I couldn't keep it off.

Low fat foods often make up for the fat by adding extra sugar to make them taste better, so they aren't necessarily a good alternative. I usually look for low sugar rather than low fat in processed foods, and it seems to work for me.

I don't know if this is your problem, but I have trouble being honest about portion size. I estimate rather than measure, and usually estimate low. Have you tried actually measuring your portions? Just trying to come up with ideas, not accusing you. Like I said, I know I lie to myself with portion size.

First, ty ty ty! I feel v. special that you took the time to help me, a stranger.

The calories you estimated are not accurate, I entered them in at sparkpeople:

Breakfast: 244

Lunch: 246

Snacks: 161

I'm at 54 Protein 26 carbs, calories 651

My salad dressing was full fat, and so is the mayo in the egg salad. I entered everything in spark people nutrition.One thing my doctor said was to not do low-fat. So I literally got rid of my fat free dressings, etc. It didn't make sense to me, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. He told me NOT to count calories, to only count Protein grams, and carbs. I was to eat 90 grams of protein and 70 grams of carbs (or less). ( I haven't done Atkins, but maybe that is that sort of mind set) BUT if you think this is holding me back, then I'm going to go lowfat now.

He is adamant about starting day with protein drink and no carbs, so I will continue that. But I will go out and get low fat everything and start counting calories too. What should calories be?

One reason I'm posting so much today is because of the bronchitis and the bum knee. On a good note, the knee is really much much better and I see myself exercising v. soon.

OH the chili. Well I tried something new. I got a v. lean piece of sirloin with no fat on it, it would normally be tough to eat but I've cooked it in a crock pot ALLLLLLLL day. I have added many veggies, Beans, BUT I doubt I will be able to eat it. It is so lean that it looks a little dry. I've added juicy veggies, Tomato sauce, etc, but I have such a tough time with meat. I may have a couple of tablespoons over a salad.

Here is the next tough part for me, stopping eating at night. I feel like I barely can get 1/3 cup of cottage cheese down by day and at night, I finally can eat something of sustenance, so I do. I will make a promise to not eat after 8. Maybe will suck on some sugar free Popsicles. A nutritionist told me to have something filling and high in protein before bed as my last snack... I haven't been doing this. I think over the past few weeks I've just slacked off... I've been at this weight for a long time. Before that it was another plateau that was lifted by dropping 2 pounds. :(

We were all strangers at one time - but thru LBT I have made lifetime friendships and even gained a daughter who has done EXCELLENT.. And will be giving you some great advice shortly

My calories for you Breakfast lunch & snack were only off by 100 approx and I feel it's better to estimate higher than lower - cuz if you guess that you ate 500 and only really ate 400 you are ahead of the game and not behind the 8 ball by going over.

I can't tell you not to follow your doctors orders - But my doc want's me eating food and not drinking it. If you ate a more substanial breakfast - even some eggbeater with veggies and some ff cheese - it will stay with you longer than a shake will

I keep a food diary - count calories and protein (i'm suppose to have 60 grms of pt a day)

I too am a night time eater - but I usually don't have Snacks in the daytime - I save them for night - because if I didn't I would probably blow my carlorie budget - so that's a suggestion too - don't eat your day time Snacks if you don't have too - save them for night so you don't blow your budget -

I keep my calories around 900 - 1200 - I don't do atkins - but I do limit my starches to night - my 1/2 c rice with dinner and my popcorn - I use I can't beleive it's not butter spray for rice, veggies, Pasta etc - I use a little evoo on my fish (which is what I eat most nights)

I don't do much salads cuz I don't like the fat free dressings - and the real ones have too many calories - but if I do I use my old ww trick of diping fork in dressing 1st and then into salad.

Try white ground turkey for your chilli or ground chicken - less calories than beef and very good - it's what I use.

I use lite mayo not the fat free stuff - but I don't eat much of anything that needs mayo - I have done egg salad before - using mustard and lite mayo - i think you didn't need the evoo in it:tongue: - when I cook eggs or eggbeater is with pam not oil.

I have a scale in which I weight & measure my foods - I have a little bowl that holds only 1 cup - I eat off sandwich plates not regular plates.

Snowbird's right about low fat having more sugar and that's why I don't like the lowfat dressings - I don't really buy low fat - cuz I eat food that I prepare and not processed foods.