Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't tell me to eat more calories, been there done that. This does not work the same for everyone.

AMEN to that Mango... I did that and gained. NOT for me.

Wow! All I can think is that when you struggle for so long to find a solution to a a major monkey on your back and it isn't working as you imagined it would- it must be devastating.

I have tried everything to keep my weight off. And I have not succeeded, but along the way, I have become a triathlete, learned to cook healthy, become a trainer, lowered my cholesterol and BP, make a plethera of new friends and had a wealth of experiences that I never would have had without this problem of mine weight. Now, I am having the Lapband. I am working to remember that life is a process, not an event. So is Lapband.

I also will say that I am grateful for the negative posts about the surgery as well as the positive-For someone like me, I need to hear the good and the bad. That my journey doesn't end at the surgeon's doorstep, but rather that it takes work- like everything worth having in life.

I feel better prepared for the bad moments from reading about other experiences. I hope that I will have an easy surgery and loose gobs of weight with little effort, but I am preparing to accept a harder process where I struggle. I don't know about the rest of you, but my weight creeps up every year- to hold steady, or loose 12 lbs in a year- that is still progress!

KatW

A lot of lapband surgeons and nurses etc recommend this site to learn more etc...I know it's the person's decision...but things people say on here do effect a lot of people.

I understand. One of the effects, hopefully, is that people have the surgery and realize that there is more than one acceptable outcome. We all don't turn thin in three months.

I'm not losing quickly myself, but I'm satisfied.:(

I understand. One of the effects, hopefully, is that people have the surgery and realize that there is more than one acceptable outcome. We all don't turn thin in three months.

I'm not losing quickly myself, but I'm satisfied.:(

I hope that too. It's better to lose slowly than lose nothing at all and to learn while going through it. Losing any amount of weight is fantastic.

Wow! All I can think is that when you struggle for so long to find a solution to a a major monkey on your back and it isn't working as you imagined it would- it must be devastating.

I have tried everything to keep my weight off. And I have not succeeded, but along the way, I have become a triathlete, learned to cook healthy, become a trainer, lowered my cholesterol and BP, make a plethera of new friends and had a wealth of experiences that I never would have had without this problem of mine weight. Now, I am having the Lapband. I am working to remember that life is a process, not an event. So is Lapband.

I also will say that I am grateful for the negative posts about the surgery as well as the positive-For someone like me, I need to hear the good and the bad. That my journey doesn't end at the surgeon's doorstep, but rather that it takes work- like everything worth having in life.

I feel better prepared for the bad moments from reading about other experiences. I hope that I will have an easy surgery and loose gobs of weight with little effort, but I am preparing to accept a harder process where I struggle. I don't know about the rest of you, but my weight creeps up every year- to hold steady, or loose 12 lbs in a year- that is still progress!

KatW

thanks for your positive post, it is good that you have your eyes wide open.

I have to say that before surgery, I had dieted a LOT, learned to eat much healthier and lowered my Cholesterol by 30 points. My HDL was high, and my LDL low, my triglycerides were outstanding to quote the nurse. My doctor was v. pleased but she knew something was wrong when I couldn't lose the weight. She ran some tests and found a hormone disorder. I take meds for it now. But the lapband was supposed to be that one thing that would finally get me to lose weight. I really wish I had considered bypass surgery. My surgeon suggested it. But I was sure lapband was the right thing.

There are so many things that need to be studied about obesity. I hope that one day they discover the missing link. I'd hate to see my kids go through any of this.

Just keep on going! You have solved so many of the issues that you battle! Not to sound cheesy but everyone gets lost, frustrated, down on themselves, and angry at the world. I would be discouraged if I thought that the "one thing" that would help me didn't work as I assumed it would. I am sorry for that loss. I can tell you feel really betrayed, let down, and exhausted by the struggle. You are helping your kids right now and every day that you keep on going and making the best choices you have to make.

Good luck!

KatW

Just keep on going! You have solved so many of the issues that you battle! Not to sound cheesy but everyone gets lost, frustrated, down on themselves, and angry at the world. I would be discouraged if I thought that the "one thing" that would help me didn't work as I assumed it would. I am sorry for that loss. I can tell you feel really betrayed, let down, and exhausted by the struggle. You are helping your kids right now and every day that you keep on going and making the best choices you have to make.

Good luck!

KatW

thanks Kat, God bless you. Sometimes I find the kindest people on these lists.

It gives one renewed strength.

Now I'd better sign off and get to a chorus concert... a kindergarten one, it should be delightful!

Now I'd better sign off and get to a chorus concert... a kindergarten one, it should be delightful!

Ahh to be a kindergartner again hehe. Hope you enjoy the concert.:(

I can't remember if I thought it would be easy. I was probably on a high like I am every single time I've ever tried the new diet. However, I know for a fact I did not think it would be this freakin hard. I have only lost 40lbs in almost 10 months. I know people who have lost over 90. They post, oh I lost 15 lbs this month, oh I lost 10 this month. Well I post, HOT DAMN I lost 1.5 lbs this month. I am eating no more than 800cals a day and losing 2 lbs a month if I'm lucky. I also exercise. However, I will not exercise like some who having started running marathons. I don't have the desire for that and doubt I ever will. I am not going to give up, 1 to 2 lbs a month is better than nothing, which is what it always was before the band. It's just very discouraging to see how much some people are losing. I think it will work for most, but for some it's easy, and for some it ain't. I think it works better for people who ate large amounts preband. If that's not why your fat, the band isn't going to work that well.

If you are only consuming 800 cal/day, and exercising, there's more at play here banded or unbanded. Most people burn more than 800 cals just laying around all day. I think you need to get a medical opinion on that. However, 40 lbs in 10 months = 4 lbs. a month, or 1 a week. while that's a little slow, it's a healtier way to lose weight also. Plus, you're learing a new lifestyle that will last you the rest of your life.

Edited by singledad167

CoolCrystal - 800cals a day is restriction. I eat, I puke!

It is working at a lovely pace of 1.5 lbs a month.

I want it to work faster!!!!! :cursing:

Eating 800cals or less and exercising, I should be melting at an alarming rate. Don't tell me to eat more calories, been there done that. This does not work the same for everyone.

If you eat, and then proceed to "puke" that is not proper restriction, that is being over restricted. When overfilled, people tend to eat things that go around the band (slider foods) and those things tend to be less healthy and higher in calories. I was over restricted and most foods made me pb. In order to compensate, I learned to eat slider foods and actually managed to gain weight while being too restricted.

Secondly, I am sorry, but 800 calories a day truly does seem like too few to me, especially when exercising. Are you tracking what you eat, along with your daily fitness? If so, that may give you better insight as to why you are not losing. I was at a bit of a standstill when I was exercising and only eating about 1200 calories a day. I upped my caloric intake to between 1500 and 1700 a day and am now losing about 2 pounds per week. Perhaps meeting with a nutritionist or personal trainer to better evaluate exactly what you are doing and what your body needs to lose weight would be a good idea.

Lastly, everyone please remember that like the others said, the band is a tool. We do have to commit to better, healthier habits. And, this is not gastric bypass. The band is designed for us to lose a healthy 1-2 pounds per week.

My nutritionist told me not to go below 1200 calories. Said to stay between 1200-1600. She said going below 1200 was unhealthy and would cause my body to start eating away at the muscle instead of fat and go into starvation mode.

The band is just supposed to help you keep your overall caloric intake down by making it hard to eat a lot and by making you less hungry. If you have restricted calories and are still not losing, then it's not really the band's fault; that's all the band promised to do for you!

If you have been on diets and not lost any weight, then I'm surprised a surgeon wouldn't be concerned about that. Everyone has different caloric needs, but in theory, if you eat less than you expend you will lose weight. If your metabolism is super-slow such that eating 800 calories a day won't let you lose weight (and assuming you've tried more calories first to make sure it isn't starvation mode), then you might need a different kind of medical breakthrough. You might just be severely unlucky, and have a medical condition affecting metabolism.