Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op Liquid Diet

I have my surgery scheduled for June 27th. I have about 50 lbs to lose - my doctor said liquid or Protein only for week before but he said 5 weeks after surgery could only have "hard" liquids like oatmeal, cottage cheese, Soups, etc. I have heard so many conflicting things - one person told me they could eat normally afterwards - one person said they could only eat a teaspoon of food a day. What is the reality? Thanks?

:smile2:I hope your surgery goes really well on Thursday...do you have to stay in the hospital or come home the same day? On June 5th my band is scheduled for 3pm so I will have to stay over I guess...that's fine with me..a little R&R.

I have my surgery scheduled for June 27th. I have about 50 lbs to lose - my doctor said liquid or Protein only for week before but he said 5 weeks after surgery could only have "hard" liquids like oatmeal, cottage cheese, Soups, etc. I have heard so many conflicting things - one person told me they could eat normally afterwards - one person said they could only eat a teaspoon of food a day. What is the reality? Thanks?

Rangerfan, I totally agree, why do some of us have to suffer while others can slide on by. I wonder if it really makes a difference??? you said you only have 50lbs to loose. Have you already been banded? thought you had to be at least 100 lbs over weight to be banded?

Well the best of luck

Help ! I am scheduled for my education class on June 10th, have already had my psych evals, family doc labs, etc. But I did not know about the pre-op dieting.

Tell me more.

Hi, I'm new and scared to death. I'm so happy I've found this board with all the great suggestions and wonderful success stories.

My apt is Wed to get the ball rolling. I hope all goes well and I can post happy news!!

casagirl,

It depends on who your surgeon is, but some require a pre-op diet of liquid (usually high Protein low carb), some require part liquid with one meal a day or some say specific foods prior to surgery. Some require two weeks, some less, some only require liquids for just the night before surgery and some don't have any requirements at all.

Mine has me on Liquid Protein for 14 days prior to surgery. His reason is that doing so will reduce the fat around the liver making surgery safer and easier. Your liver is in front of your stomach so they will need to move it out of the way to put the band on, if it is fatty, it could get damaged or be in the way of getting the surgery done properly or even having the surgery done at all. I will then be required to do liquids for two weeks after surgery and then graduate to puree then to solids. The reason for liquids/puree after surgery is to allow time for healing.

Welcome MyTurn and good luck!

HI All I'm on my 2nd to the LAst day of my pre-op diet, I had to purchase the diet form my docs ofice , its all shakes, Soups, and cold drinks. NO solid food. And make sure I drink 64 oz Water a day. I found out hot liquids really helps. Soduim free broth and herbal teas. NO CAFFINE allowed. When you get hungry just drink as much as you can to fill up your stomach. The reason my Doc told me for the diet was to shrink my liver and loose as much weight as possible. So far 20 pounds gone in almost 2 weeks!

The reason to shrink the liver is your stomachs behind it. They have to move the liver and the smaller it is the less chance of any damage to it. Yep its hard not to cheat. But I see it as a test. IF I cant stick to this for 2 weeks.?? HOW will I stick to the post -surgery diet. After all this is just the beginning. Its going to change my eatting habits for the rest of my life IF I WANT IT TO WORK.

I am not yet on a liquid diet, but my dietician is trying to prepare me, so I'm on the "Things To Eat Before Surgery" diet. I am having to drink coffee with only splenda in it every morning and I hate coffee and all the other kinds of foods, except, vegetables have been cut out...and I'm not even approved for surgery yet! My dietician says she's trying to get me ready for the "liver diet" that I'll have to do to shrink my liver and move it out of the way by surgery time. I guess there's nothing wrong with early preparation, but man its hard especially when I don't have the actual event to look forward to yet. Keep on trucking though cause you've made it this far! Congratulations and Good Luck on your journey!

Hi MyTurn, I too am just now getting the ball rolling with the exception of already having 4 of my 6 required visits to a dietician. MY psych people, my pcp, and my dietician are all on board, its just a matter of going to a seminar next week, meeting with the surgeon, and seeing the psych folks THEY want me to see. I'm scared too, I've never had surgery before...stiches and a broken collar bone is as far as I've gone, lol. I know if I can get approved once and for all, get through the yucky pre and post diets and fight through the post op pain, I will succeed. Good luck as you start this journey, we can be pals cause I'm starting it with you. If you would like to keep in touch, my name is Stephanie, and my email is stephkell@aol.com.

wow! some of your diets seem like a banquet to some of us who have the Liquid only diets!

mine is

sugar free Jello

sugar free popsicles

water/no calorie/no carbonated drinks

3 slims fast per day.

Just to encourage some of you who are just starting...i am on day 12...2 more days to go! For me it has gotten easier...maybe i'm just used to being hungry?

So far i have only had about 2 days where i felt sick or weak. I have insulin resistance also and i guess because i'm not putting the sugar in my body i'm not having the highs and lows. I promise, it gets better!

Hello, I am new to this. Never written before. I have my surgery schedualed for June. What are "fills"? I need to lose 100 pounds, dieabetic and not sleeping well. Have no will power and never feel full. Must do 7-10 days of pre- op. It is wonderful to hear/read what others are writing. Thanks, NAncy

Rangerfan, I totally agree, why do some of us have to suffer while others can slide on by. I wonder if it really makes a difference??? you said you only have 50lbs to loose. Have you already been banded? thought you had to be at least 100 lbs over weight to be banded?

Well the best of luck

I only have 40-50 lbs to lose - if you are willing to bypass insurance payment and pay out of pocket you can get the lap band done. My insurance would not cover it because I didn't qualify or have any of the morbidities i.e., diabetes, high blood pressure, etc., sleep apnea so have to pay myself. I will be banded on June 27th - I am getting my chest x-ray, bloodwork, etc. done next week and have my pre-op appt 4 days before so must not have to do the 2 week liquid diet.

Guest BiCoastal

Hi All! I just returned from a business trip and I have to say I did not do well with my liquid hi Protein low fat diet. It started off ok, but trying to wine and dine clients when you can only drink Water or have Soup in a big steakhouse does not fly. Needless to say, I've only lost 7 lbs since was supposed to start the diet. In a cruel twist of fate my surgery was moved from may 30th to the following week - its almost as though they knew!! I'm sad but I'm sitting here drinking my butter pecan ensure and getting myself back on track again.

to be honest, i didnt completly stick to the pre-op diet.

i talked to several people who said that they cheated and it was ok. the doctors tell you its to shrink your liver, but the main purpose is to get you're stomach to shrink so you won't struggle as much on the post-op liquid stage.

i stuck to the pre-op diet 90% of the time. I went out one night and had a bit too much alcohol, and i added some carrots and potato with my vegetables sometimes and had some low fat crackers a few times. My surgery went fine, I had no problems.

As long as you stay away from fatty foods you should be fine :cursing:

all the best!