Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So im set for may 21st for my lap band.... any advice? Im happy but scared at the same time.

Another thing how long did most of you stay in the hosptial?

Im having a problem right now with my diet also. I keep thinking i should watch what i eat... but then im thinking... OMG if i dont eat the foods i like now... i might not for a long time be able.

Any help would be great thanks!!

~~jessica:confused:

Hey Jessica! I'm with you! I will be banded on May 21st as well. I am not on a pre-op diet but trying to watch it. I'll admit that I am enjoying some small servings of some things that will be off limits next week. :thumbup: I am like you, both excited and nervous! Good luck and post after your surgery!

Hi Girls

My name is Debi and I will be banded on the 20th. I am really scared and excited also..

Good luck with everything.

Can we maybe talk at the end of next week.

Cheers

Deb

Hello Ladies...I am being banded on May 20th also. As far as a pre-op diet my doc says to try and lose a "little weight", as to shrink my liver to make the surgery easier for him. I am trying...I only had three weeks for this and did okay in the beginning but now my "nervousness" reaction is making me nibble on more. So today, for three days I am trying to do high Protein liquids. GOOD PRACTICE I think. I do have a BBQ B-day party on Sunday, but plan to take my Protein Drink. I figure it's time for reality! I pray that we all are safe and successful, and that angels will be all around us!! God Bless, ChristyC :thumbup:

Hey all I was just banded on the 12th. I stayed in the hosp. overnight and was home the next evening. As far as watching what you eat....I did enjoy somethings I knew I might not ever be able to have again. I have heard in the support group here that a lot people not all but a lot have problems with Pasta and I LOVE pasta so I did take a trip to Olive Garden. But I think as long as you senseable about what you putting in your mouth then you will be ok. Don't go overboard but don't drive yourself crazy!!!! Good luck to all of you and keep us updated on your progress!!!!!

Hi guys, I will be banded on the 20th too!!!

I am so excited!!!!!!!!

Here is a helpful list of must haves for the beginning of our journey...

The list consists of the following:

Non-Food Items:

Heating Pad

Flexible Ice Pack (hot or cold)

Books/Magazines/Movies

Pillow for car ride home

Sippy Cups or Small medicine cups so you don't drink too fast

Blender

BBQ tongs for picking things up since you can't bend over! LOL - some people will use these to wipe their buttocks too! LMAO

Pharmaceuticals:

liquid Tylenol or Motrin

Chewable/Liquid/or Strips= GasX

Gauze Pads

Paper/Bandage Tape

Wet Wipes

Pill Crusher or slicer if you're on meds

chewable Vitamins

food Items:

Protein shakes

Bottled Water

broth or Bullion cubes

Creamy Soups

Soup At Hand (great for work)

Sugar Free: pudding cups/Jello/ Ice Pops

Apple sauce

Cream of Wheat

Fat Free Yogurt

Decaf Tea

Crystal Light

CLOTHES

Don't forget to wear something loose fitting

Flip Flops- no bending to tie shoes!

Sports Bra or No Bra!!! LOL

I think that was all of it... I wanted to be fully prepared for this- at least prepped until I can get out of the house and shop again!

Smith's and Wal-Mart have great prices on all these items.

I still need a blender I think, but I'm going to go over to the Vitamin Store and buy a "Shaker Cup"- It's great for the slim fast b/c you put your ice in, then the drink and just shake it up. There's a ball at the bottom that breaks it all down and makes it a "shake"... I looked them up online and they are about $12.

Hi Girls

Christy, Yvonne & Holly...

Ok, Holly what wise tips can you bestow on us to be banders.. How have you found it. Is there anything you have found out since the operation that you wish you had found out before. What is the pain like?

Is there anything we can do to prepare ourselves? Is it like having a baby where by you think you know what to expect then it is nothing like it...

How are you coping with not being able to eat..

And if you all don't mind, can I ask why you think you all got so big.

After I had children I put on all my weight and at first I blamed it on Post Natal Depression and then after that Depression, but I think I let myself down out of habitual eating, I don't think that I suffer from Depression anymore, because I have a really happy life, I have a wonderfully supportive husband and 2 fantastic kids, and I am not sad anymore and yet I binge on chocolate and chips. So I believe after my surgery and need to work on a lot more than just my weight.

Also Yvonne, thank you so much for all those valuable tips, some of I had never even thought off..

Cheers

Edited by girlwest
Forgot to say something...

One of the main reason for having the surgery is because of infertilty. I have PCOS and have been unable to have children. Having PCOS is part of the reason for the weight gain but I also have made some very bad choices.

The pain was not unbearable but it was there. When I came out of surgery I was in a lot of pain but was given meds and felt a lot better. I guess it is different with everybody but the pain is not unbearable.

Not eat really hasn't been a issue. I really haven't wanted to eat but I know that will soon change. It doesn't bother me to see my husband eat but I know soon that will change too.

I hope this helps some....I am also doing a VLOG on youtube. Here is my username so you can link to my videos: hholly112002

you can watch some of the things I found important and I do have one update since the surgery and I will be posting another one today.

Good luck all!!!!!

Hello Ladies...I am being banded on May 20th also. As far as a pre-op diet my doc says to try and lose a "little weight", as to shrink my liver to make the surgery easier for him. I am trying...I only had three weeks for this and did okay in the beginning but now my "nervousness" reaction is making me nibble on more. So today, for three days I am trying to do high Protein liquids. GOOD PRACTICE I think. I do have a BBQ B-day party on Sunday, but plan to take my protein drink. I figure it's time for reality! I pray that we all are safe and successful, and that angels will be all around us!! God Bless, ChristyC :woot:

Hi ChristyC, I am also being banded on May 20th as far as my diet I have just been eating veggies and drinking diet drinks but I must admit I have nibbled once or twice and to be honest i have really been drinking prtein shakes just eating a little Peanut Butter i hope eberything turns out alright for the both of us:rolleyes2:

I have struggled with my weight my entire life. At least I thought I was overweight!

Looking back now, I see I was slightly bigger than other kids, but nothing like what my doctor was saying and my family. I was ALWAYS on a diet. Losing 10lbs gaining 20- losing 40 gaining 50...

I wish I never dieted at all- just learned how to exercise and enjoy it!

This is what we're teaching our children now. They are 7 and 4 and a little overweight for their ages but we are teaching them to ride their bikes now and they are enjoying the exercise without realizing what it is!!! Thank God!

The reason I was overweight as a child,is because my sisters are so much older than me, the only person in my house that would pay attention to me was my grandmother. She use to make me lunch, give me Snacks, she taught me how to cook- she even taught me how to be an emotional eater. If I was sad, she'd give me comfort food.

Please don't think that I'm blaming anyone- because I'm not. My parents and grandparents didn't know any better. They thought they were helping. I understand that.

I'm only 5'2"- so if I was 30lbs overweight, it looked like a lot more.

I was married September 1997 at 220lbs. I'm now 280. I have PCOS and in the last year put on 25 of those 280...

I'm also Italian and I love food, I love to eat, and I love to cook.

I'm hoping to take those qualities and turn them into something positive. I plan on creating new recipes and feeding my new food to my children as well. I finally found whole grain Pasta they will eat. I only make marinara sauce now instead of meat sauce- they haven't complained once!

Last night I bought whole grain pizza dough and made great pizza with low fat cheese and low fat pepperoni- No One knew it was "healthy"! It was great! Even the hubby ate it and said, "Wow, this is delicious- you should make this more often!" LOL It was a great night! LOL

My husband is tough though- he is very picky. He is 6'3 and 200lbs. Tall and thin basically. He is strictly a meat and potatoes man. It's so hard to plan meals around him.

Sorry- I'm rambling now...

I go in on Monday at 9:30am... I am as ready as I will be...had some real food today..Pita Pit chicken as I will not be eating tomorrow and who knows when I will eat next????? lite dinner tonight.. but I have been really good now for 3 weeks... I to have to spend the night as my dr likes his patients to stay one night... but I think I am comfortable with that.. I have had a sore throat and that was scaring me but it feels better today and I have tomorrow to -- to drink lots of hot tea... should be good to go monday....

Thanks for the tips on what to have ready. I am trying to follow the pre-op diet, the dr said it would help make my liver smaller for the surgery. The pre op diet is basically high Protein, low carb, low sugar, low fat....

I will admit since the date is just a few days away I am getting exicted, anxious, afraid, impatient..... I too am an emotional eater, and when I went for my psych eval he suggested that I have therapy to help develop more effective coping skills. I had one appointment already, and I really think that will help me. I need a lot of support, and so this forum is great for me, as well as my husband, and my therapist. I CAN DO THIS!

I hope you all do wonderfully. Congrats to all!

I can't be excited right now, I'm only scared. I was supposed to be on my pre-op diet two weeks ago but I've been having a hell of a time with it. I do fine in the morning but then at night I have this hunger that feels like I can eat a whole cow. I have to do something for the next three days.

I'm scared because the nurse told meduring my initial visit that I'd be yelled at if my liver doesn't shrink before surgery. But then the doctor told me that it's "no big deal" but to try and lose the weight.:thumbdown:

Good Luck to everyone. Let's stay in touch for support.

Mary:thumbup: