Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Supliments for diabetics?

So what kind of vitamin/mineral suppliments does everone take. My BF has been taking Nature Made Diabetes Health Pack Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement With Lutein, for a while now and I am not convinced they are doing him much good. They certainly have not heped him with his neuropathy.

On a mailing list I belong to one person said their doctor recommended alpha lapoic acid and some acetyl carnitine for neuropathy, which is something I have major issues with.

My current PCP ignores any questions about neuropathy (just says keep my #'s good) so far so I am currently seeking out a new PCP.

But I'm curious if anyone else has had any experiences with these supliments?

I have also heard that some doctors recomend monitoring Vitamin D levels in diabetic patients also.

I have some suggestions for you, but I am not a doctor, so what I say is only my opinion. If diabetic neuropathy is present, the Ginkgo Biloba extract (24% Gingko glycosides) 40-80mg three times a day is what my naturopathic doctor recommends. It's also importand that 20-30+ grams of Fiber are consumed - oat bran is expecially great! Zinc also has a protective effect against beta-cell destruction. There are many things you can take, but those few things might be helpful... also tons of Water, as is required anyway with the band as well as good exercise... if you need any more help, I would be willing to assist you...like I said, I am not a doctor, but have read a lot about natural ways to help diabetes as my husband and I both are diabetic. I would recommend that you start seeing a naturopathic doctor as well... they don't just shove a bunch of meds down your throat and at least mine only recommends supplements that are necessary, not every single one in the world that might help.

Kammi in Everett, WA

soon to be banded 5/27/08

I have some suggestions for you, but I am not a doctor, so what I say is only my opinion. If diabetic neuropathy is present, the Ginkgo Biloba extract (24% Gingko glycosides) 40-80mg three times a day is what my naturopathic doctor recommends. It's also importand that 20-30+ grams of Fiber are consumed - oat bran is expecially great! Zinc also has a protective effect against beta-cell destruction. There are many things you can take, but those few things might be helpful... also tons of Water, as is required anyway with the band as well as good exercise... if you need any more help, I would be willing to assist you...like I said, I am not a doctor, but have read a lot about natural ways to help diabetes as my husband and I both are diabetic. I would recommend that you start seeing a naturopathic doctor as well... they don't just shove a bunch of meds down your throat and at least mine only recommends supplements that are necessary, not every single one in the world that might help.

Kammi in Everett, WA

soon to be banded 5/27/08

Well right now myself I take a a daily essential formula multi Vitamin each day that has Calcium and Iron and 15mg of zinc, and a Calcium magnezium & zinc tablet. Along with all my perscription meds. Plus when on my monelty I take an extra Iron which helps with cramping and lowering the blood flow.

My BF bought a diabetes Vitamin kit from nature made that has luiten and cromium and Vitamin C and 3-4 other things in it. Suposed to help with diabetes, but on another mailing list I belong to it has been stated that diabetics dont really need these just to have their Vitamin D monitored.

His doc said feel free to take the supliments if he felt he needed to but thats not much of an answer to me. lol

We both are having nerve issues with our feet. he tends to lose sleep when they are acting up and mine have at times even made walking diffucult because they get almost numb.

How would one find a naturopathic doctor? its not something to look up in the yellow pages lol I just tried.

Do you have the store called Super supplements in your town? If not you can go online. They have this product called Nerve Fix... it is like $20 a bottle, but I bought it for my dad because he could barely use his arm and both hands due to nerve damage from a 7 bipass open heart surgery.... within days on it, he could start moving his hands more and the pain was subsiding.... you should try it! Also as far as the naturopathic doctor... do an online search for "naturopathy in ___your city, your state___" and it should pull up some local doctors.... try that and let me know if you had any luck.

Kammi in Everett, WA

Well I did find a couple of naturopathic doctors in driving distance. Gonna call and see how much its gonna cost cause I know my insurance wont cover them.

Super supplements? nope closest thing we have here in the local GNC and one other privately owned health food store. And I cant do GNC Cause its in the mall and I can't walk it =/

So Mostly we get our vitamins/suppliments at walgreens where my BF works. So at least we get a bit of a discount on them.

go to supersupplements.com or do a search for "Nerve Fix" and it should come up... you can shop prices then... if there are nerve issues.... I highly recommend it! Good luck... any other questions, let me know! I hope a naturopathic doctor can help you, mine sure helped me!

Kammi in Everett, WA

Also I start seeing a new PCP next week (soon as my insurance gets it changed in the computers at least) And I will see what he thinks. I know he is gonna order a SLEW of tests (my BF just recently started seeing him) So I am going to ask him to check for any deficiencies while at it.