Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm nine days post op and have followed the food and nutrition plan outlined by my Dr to the letter. I weighed a nice weight the day of surgery-30 pounds exactly lost. But then I gained 10 pounds overnight in the hospital, and while I have taken that off, I am only back to my presurgery weight. I eat only dabs of this and that, and Protein Shakes, but not one tenth of a pound lost in nine days. I find that discouraging. Anyone else have a similar experience, or explanation? I'm back to my job, back to normal exercise, so it's not from sitting around. My surgery went great, so I was up and walking within the first day. So what's the problem?:thumbup:

I experienced the same thing. Two weeks post-op and I had only lost 2 pounds! I was on Clear liquids for 4 days then soft foods (like yoghurt, applesauce, etc...) for the next phase. It's really frustrating!

All I can say is try drinking more zero-calorie fluids and be patient. It took a long time to put the weight on and it'll take a long time to take it off. We're all individuals and our bodies react differently to the trauma of surgery. The changes will come so stay positive. Good luck!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Your body is healing right now. You need to stay focused on what your doctor told you to do and let it do just that. The weight loss will come in time. I've been banded just a few more weeks than you and I'm in the same situation. It is very frustrating and discouraging, but this is only temporary. Once you start eating regularly and get filled, you'll get a restriction and the weight will start coming off again. I'm patiently waiting as well. It does get easier.

Just keep following your prescribed post-op plan and the weight will come off. You could be holding onto excess Fluid from the surgery. Stay away from the scale for a few days.

Not a doctor or a nutritionist and not banded yet but ...

If we are on fluids only and scarcely getting in enough to get our metabolism going we will not lose weight during that time.

My nurtitionist told me to aim for 1000 calories pre and post op on my liquid diet but no less then 800 because it would be bad to not get enough and things would stall...

Just my 2cents :thumbup:

Sorry had to edit this... When I am in the same postion you are please feel free to quote me !!!

Edited by Huggie Bear

has anyone who has had the lap band had trouble eating small amounts of solid food? Ive read where you will never be able to digest anything solid or you will vomit.....please share any experiences i am scheduled for surgery and i think i am getting cold feet.

Guest Leslie2Lose

sunshine - you may want to re-read that bit of information. Once your stomach heals from surgery (normally 6 weeks post) you can eat most things tolerably. Everyone is different though. Some people can't eat Pasta, some can't eat eggs, bread, rice, etc. You have to really chew your food well in order for it to digest properly. If you don't chew, then yes you can get sick and vomit. Most of us avoid this at all costs, it is not only painful (from what I've heard), but can cause complications with the band.

Good luck with your surgery and hang in there. I think at some point all of us get cold feet. Make sure you do your research and are ready for this. The band won't make you lose weight. It is only a tool. I'm not trying to scare you, but it is an adjustment. I'd do it again 100 times over.

I know I'm not getting enough calories. I'm not hungry, but I know enough about nutrition to know I need more then this. I wanted to ask about that but decided I'd just follow what they told me. Right now I'm on full liquids-clear for 2 days, full for 2 weeks, then pureed for 2 weeks, then soft for 2 weeks. I have a feeling it's a little of both-fluids AND not getting enough calories. I trust my bariatric center, though, and will follow the diet. I really DO feel better already, like more energy, not as sleepy at work, so I KNOW I'm eating healthy, which is so important for healing. I was told not to worry about weight loss at this stage, I just wasn't told not to expect it! Who knew you could live on liquids and not lose weight? I'm also not supposed to do any exercise but walking for about 3 months, so I can't just start wearing myself out on the airdyne, elliptical, and videos. Oh, and thanks for the reminder about fluids. I am drinking Water all day long and getting it all in. I was afraid I would be too full, but after about 3 days I had no problems. I'll keep that at the top of my list to keep up as well as the diet. You'll hear a big cheer when I finally start dropping!