Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question: Four days out

I have a question....Did anyone feel depressed around 4 days after your surgery? I was feeling great yesterday and then when I woke up today, I just started feeling extremely sad. Any opinions or stories?

It could be the fat being burned contains hormones, and those are being released and creating a sort of second faux puberty. I dunno how common it is nor if that's what it is. Give it a few days :thumbup:

No problem! And not yet. I just started my whole little journey. I came here looking for some answers to some questions of mine, and just got the ball rolling a few weeks ago. How was the pain after surgery?

In all honesty...the pain wasn't that bad. The worst part was the gas pain in your shoulder from when they inflate your stomach. I also just found out that sneezing should be avoided at all costs...ouch! The only medication I'm taking for pain is tylenol if that is any indication of how minimal the pain is. Hope that helped!!

I do think it is probably a little normal to feel sad. Now that I really think about it...I was totally depressed. I blamed it on the fact that I was staying with my brother who lives in the back 40. No cable, I couldn't figure out how to turn the damn stereo on, my cell phone didn't work, he doesn't have a computer, and I was all by myself aside from his 3 month old kitten. Yeah...I was depressed. But I think more than that I began realizing that in that situation before I would have found a way to eat, and now ...I couldn't even do that. For most people that have this surgery, food is their companion, friend, shoulder to cry on...and now it has gone. I think we go through a period of grief similar to a friend moving away.

Hang in there though...the benefits soooooo outweigh the few days of sadness and depression. Good luck!

No problem! And not yet. I just started my whole little journey. I came here looking for some answers to some questions of mine, and just got the ball rolling a few weeks ago. How was the pain after surgery?

Yeah, that is a really good question....how IS the pain after surgery, y'all?

Like, the day of the surgery, when you wake up?

Also, what is it like to be put under? I've never had ANY procedures.....

Well, I've never had the surgery, so I can't say much for the pain. But being put under is just like getting REALLY tired super quick. You won't even notice it sneaking up on you. :cursing:

well i was banded yesterday and although there is pain, its not as bad as i was expecting. when i woke up i didn't feel any pain at all, just like i had had the wind knocked out of me, it was a little hard to take deep breaths and i had a headache. i started to get some pain about an hour after surgery and they gave me some STRONG pain meds, they kicked in in like 10 seconds. felt great after that! lol :) the the rest of the day i kept on top of taking the liquid vicodin (sp?) every 2.5 hours. i think as long as you keep on the meds, the pain isn't as bad as it could be. the gas has been the worst so far...i don't have solder pain, but its like all condensed in my abdomen and its like i really need to burp but i can't. almost like really bad indigestion. and today (day 2 post op) my port site is sore and hurts some.

as for being put under, it was a breeze. i walked into the OR, laid down on the operating table, the anesthesiologist hooked up something to my IV which i think he said was a muscle relaxer. It made my vision go blurry (which he said it would before he gave it to me). Then the nurse put an oxgen mask on me, looked into my eyes and told me i would be fine and that is the last thing i remember!

honestly i think the part that hurt the most out of all the post op stuff before my surgery was the hepren (again sp?) shot they gave me for blood clots in my thigh!!

hope this puts your mind at ease a little!

marine

Congrats on the banding Marine! I'm super eager to get mine done :rolleyes: Glad it all went well for you.

Have you ever had an operation before? If so how did the pain compare?

Congrats on the banding Marine! I'm super eager to get mine done :tt1: Glad it all went well for you.

Have you ever had an operation before? If so how did the pain compare?

no that was my first surgery, i had my wisdom teeth out a few years back, and that was pretty painful, but i would say this is worse. its nothing i don't think any of us can handle, but i wouldn't call it "a piece of cake" like some do. hope that helps drew...I'm sure your knee surgery was much worse. you'll be fine! :confused_smile:

regarding being depressed after surgery, It's perfectly normal to last awhile actually. I had my banding done on may 16th, so I'm almost a week out. I have to say that days 3 and 4 I was a bit depressed, even thinking what did I get myself into? But I my hormones are back to normal and I'm very happy with what I've done so far.

dramahqueen06: are you feeling better now?

I am starting to feel better and better as the days progress. I have to say that one thing that has helped me is getting out of the house. I hate just sitting around because I get so bored. I think I have been at the mall everyday. I even drove 25 minutes to a new mall to have my makeup done. I think that making sure you do special things to make yourself feel good goes a long way when you can't sit around and eat!! How are you feeling?

If you're still feeling down, may I suggest getting your makeup done? Alot of makeup counters will do your makeup for free just to show off their new products. MAC is my favorite and it made me feel good!

i'm feeling pretty good now. i went back to work today, so at least having different people to talk to was nice. and finally the weather is nice so this weekend i think i'll be taking quite a few walks through our apple orchard. being out and walking around actually makes you feel really good. i've been trying to stay away from the mall though. (i have a shopping problem) haha! and i LOOOVE MAC cosmetics!! it's funny though cause i've only had my makeup done once at one of those counters and it was a few years ago now, but i walked away looking like i had two huge black eyes. it was horrible. i had to hide in a corner of the mall trying to get all of the makeup off. anyway, i'm glad to hear you're feeling better!

Hi,

I was banded on 4/30 and did/do have feelings of depression. I talked to my therapist about this on Monday and she said it is totally normal. There are alot of things to consider, of course missing your food is one of them!!, but also all the emotions you go thru in the weeks leading up to surgery, then afterwords you don't have those thoughts/worries anymore - its like a huge build up and let down if that makes any sense? I think your brain is saying 'hey, where are all those crazy thoughts and feelings?'

Everyday gets better and easier. I honestly had not felt the depression for the last 2 days (until I saw this post)!!

Try to keep busy!! it helps :cool2: