Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Size 10...Plus Size???

Guest Leslie2Lose

I have been wearing size 10 pants (american size 10) for a couple of months.......when I started wearing them I was considered obese according to the BMI.

Currently I can fit into size 8 jeans from Old Navy (they are tight) but I am still almost 30 pounds overweight.

I have posted on a "dating" website and have put myself in the "extra pounds" category.

I think American sizing has been changing over the years to accomodate the swelling bellies of Americans (and Canadians).

Looking at my own weight, it seems reasonable that a size 10 would be a "small" plus size model.

i think society and especially young girls look to the media for the definition of beauty. its long been that way, in the 50/60's the sweater girls, i read once that all the actesses at one studio wore the same size bra, not that they were all the same size, but that the same size bra was worn, stuffed or whatever was necessary so they all looked the same.

the difference now is that its such a negative society i think. when marilyn monroe was the ideal, she was a realistic woman with curves, girls stuffed thier bras to look like her, bleached thier hair, etc but when twiggy began the thin thing, and then kate moss, etc, girls began starving themselves, etc. (not saying it started then, but the influence increased).

so now the modeling world doesnt even use plus sized girls to model plus size clothing, how does that make you feel as a plus size (or former plus size)? it kinda pisses me off! are plus sized women so ungodly repulsive that we cant even model our own clothes, that you have to find someone who is smaller to model our clothes!?!

I even see, i don't know if discrimination is the correct word (seems too strong for what i'm thinking), but even some of the posters on this site seem negative to those of us(or plus sized generally) who are not at goal yet.

i love to see girls who are not skin and bone in the spotlight, in a positive light. but whenever a celebrity gains a few pounds, omg, they are on the front of every magazine on the rack! i would rather look like a woman, with curves, than a boy with some little mosquito bites.

i dont mean to sound negative towards thin people, because i do believe there are attractive people in all sizes, but the unnaturally thin look is not attractive nor healthy.

Well put Leslie2Lose! The thing that bothers me the most is that many of the plus size clothing isn't even modeled by plus sized women. I think that plus size clothing lines should at least show their close on women who actually can wear the clothes!

I think that girls need to know that it is good to strive to be a healthy weight, but the reality is that many people are overweight now and they also need to know that if they are overweight they are still beautiful girls. They shouldn't feel like they are left out. I remember when I was a chubby kid and felt like I couldn't buy any of the clothes that the skinny girls wore and I felt really bad about myself. That coupled with the fact that all of the models and actresses being thin, it puts a dent in your self esteem.

I totally agree Michee, you are so right. I could never wear size 12 jeans (your size 8) as a teenager, but I can now, because sizes have definitely increased. No way would Marilyn Monroe have been a current size 12!

I dont like seeing skin and bone role models like Nicole Richie either, but then some celebs who do gain a bit have done so from really unhealthy habits - look at Micha Barton for example - she looks awful lately - not nicely rounded but bloated, unhealthy and flabby. Living well with a larger figure is one thing, stacking it on by pigging out quite another.

Hmmm, so some of us think its healthier to try to emulate role models by bleaching our hair and stuffing our bras? It may not be as damaging physically as trying to weigh 80lb as an adult, but if you can argue that our current role models are psychologically damaging, then I dont think you can say its OK to try to live up to ANY role model that you're not naturally like, whether they're a size 2 or a size 12.

We really need a RANGE of role models dont we? Skinny, fat and in the middle, but I think the real secret is teaching kids to want to emulate people who actually are not a waste of space like most Hollywood celebs but who have really achieved admirable things. Giving a bit to charity because you've got gajillions doesnt really count in my mind.

By the way I really agree that plus size clothing should be modelled by true plus size women - it used to drive me insane to know that all the clothing in my catalogue was pinned and tucked behind the model to show of her lovely figure. Either that or she was 7 foot tall. I'd put the thing on and it would look like a sack on me.

Edited by Jachut

Well my first thoughts when I read about it this morning in the paper was "DAAAAAAANG" Oh to be plus size <hair flip> But I will make it to "plus size yet" dang dongit! :thumbup: