Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teenagers are cruel (When they want to be)

Teenagers are curel (when they want to be)

Ok so I work at Juvie, and I am a shift supervisor. I WAS having a good day, scale is going in my favor... fit in to a pair of shorts I couldnt fit into b4, and then I came to work :thumbup:

I stepped out onto the floor during the meal as one of my staff were tied up in an intake and they needed an extra person on the floor.

I am by the way one of the staff that they like the least, I am the one who gets to tell them how much time they get in room confinement if they are acting up while with us.

Well there is a staff who works "A" shift who is a REAL peach and none of the kids like him, and he is looking like he is about 8 months pregnant but walks around with his chest all puffed out cause he is God's gift to the world.

Anyway one of the boys noticed I had on the same kind of jean shorts the mr. "Peach" wears and goes on to say how sad it is that a lady fits into the same sizes of stuff as Mr. Peach. Your a lady, you shouldn't have to wear those. he says. Well I have been called alot of things when the kids are mad at me and most of them are centered around my weight.

We are trained when we start working in an environment like this that you have to know what "buttons" kids will try to push to get a rise out of you, and generally I dont let it bother me at all but tonight it just flew all over me because we were on the floor and he was being loud enough for all the boys to hear. Some of them had the decency to be embarassed, but all this ranting to say....

Teenagers can be CRUEL:mad2: when they really want to be... if you have kids in middle or highschool and they come to you about something that has happened in school or where ever PLEASE listen and offer support and do not belittle what they are going through.

Ok off my soap box!!

I even enjoyed my nummy salad and told my staff, well if he thinks he's telling me something I dont already know he is mistaken, that is WHY I am doing something about it finally.:thumbup:

I work in mainly middle schools. I'm a dental hygienist, and I put dental sealants on kids teeth (with parents permission). I work in urban settings, and kids are just nasty. There are good ones in the mix, but after the first middle school I was in I came home and told my hubbby that in 5+years we were all gonna die! When these little so-and so's get out of school (flunk out) and find out that we are no longer going to spoon feed them, and that they will have to (gasp) work! It really is scary. I wish I had a cam-corder to record what I see on a daily basis.

God bless all of you out there that teach! And bless you for what you do too.

Just think that next year you'll be in so much better health! That's what keeps me going now.

Molly

The sobering thought that makes me shake my head is... in 20-30 years they will be the ones taking care of us.....

but yes there are good ones inthe bunch that break your heart and make the job worth while.

that's why I come to work everyday... some of them only get the Love we give them..

I worked with HS BD kids for a couple of years. I was prepared for the insults about my size or looks. Somehow it never happened. I loved working with those kids-with only a couple exceptions. I worked in the "Crisis room" where the kids were sent when they were misbehaving too badly to stay in their BD rooms. Had chairs thrown at me, things stolen, bricks picked up, etc. I was prepared for comments about my weight, thinking I'd answer the same as you said "not telling me anything I don't already know". I probably didn't have that experience because I usually only had the kids one or two at a time. Now I work in the main office of the same large high school, and really look forward to the day that I feel better about the way I look. I still deal with high school kids all day. I think I've been lucky because I know it could happen any time, even after I've lost what is a LOT of weight to me (by the way, congrats on getting into new pants, I've lost 30 pounds and can't find a difference at all) But then we had a young gal working in BD for a while who was pretty, skinny and blond, and they said plenty about her that was nasty, just in a different way. Which, I guess, proves your point that teens are cruel. The people in my office also talk about how these are the kids of our future. We recently had an honors program. Even the "good" kids couldn't follow directions, listen to announcements, remember to do as told, etc. We have a graduating class of about 400 and we aren't sure who is worse, them or their parents. Which explains WHY the kids are not behaving well. I sure know what it feels like to have a bad day with misbehaving teens-I didn't quit working with BD kids because I didn't like it, but to get a promotion. However there were days when I went home thinking "this is NOT the job for me!"

Well, you know where half of those kids learn those mean things to say? Their parents! Either that, or the parents don't reprimand them for saying such hurtful things. I was out with my Aunt and my two cousins who are aged 13 and 18 and they were talking about fat people while both my Mom and I were there. My aunt didn't say a word to them, so I did, but I'm sure there are a lot of kids out there who never get a word said to them. Sad, really. Because you know if they say it to an adult, they are torturing kids their age that are overweight.

Teenagers can be so mean! I am sorry that you had to go through that but I have a funny story that might make you smile about a time I had my feelings hurt recently. I have a beautiful, smart and very very outspoken 5 year old son. He is very much into sports and health after hearing that I am going to 'get help' to lose weight has actually said that he can't wait for us (myself, him and my hubby) to be a 'skinny family'. Anyways, I bought a whole bunch of slim fast for my pre-op diet and stocked the fridge. He saw them and asked if he could have one since he thought it was a milkshake. I told him no because it makes you lose weight and then he would just be a head on legs. So that was that and he forgot about it. Well, my diet started and he saw me drinking them for the first time and was so excited. He says "Mommy, your drinking those? The one that makes you skinny?" So I tell him "Yup, do I look skinnier yet?" He thinks about this for a moment, then reached over and pinches my belly fat. "Nope. I think you better drink all of the other ones in the 'fridge too." FUNNY, YES! But boy did that bruise my ego!

My 5 year old asked when I'm going to be skinny. On the other hand he tells me that I'm so soft and comfortable.I'm almost in Onederland 208 I think. I started with 242 lbs.

Michelle that did make me smile :thumbup:

I have a little watch dog in my 12 year old... I asked for a drink last night and my older daughter was going to brink me a cup of regular tea with sugar and BooBoo (younger one) fussed at her and told her that mommys doctor said she couldnt have that to get my Decaf. tea with splenda in it :thumbup:

So I am blessed with a good pair of pre-teen and teen (thank GOD)

They even make sure I have walked or exercised everyday...

They will keep me honest and being a healthy mom for them is worth ALL of it..

Kim

Not just teenagers that can be mean the younger ones can be also. my daughters 15 now and gets comments about her weight sometimes from others and they can be devistating/ She always has a snappy comeback but then I get to see how she really feels. Makes me mad. She has more comments though on the fact shes small chested. And says those comments bug her worse then weight related one.

But at the same time our own kids can be our biggest cheering section too. And good at reminding us to stay foccused. lol. I find that my 13 year old son is awesome for keeping me on track sometimes.

I have a son who is a freshman in high school and a sister who is a sophomore in high school at the same school . Ya wanna know how CRUEL and MEAN Kids can be ?? Take a tour of my space some time !!!

I have a my space page to keep an "eye " On my sister. I wont let my son have one ( He doesnt ask for one though ) . Kids are Harassed Bullied, and out right Cruel is not even the word now . I had my son in high school , so Im only 16 yrs older than him , things were NOT Like this when i was in high school. And dont GET me started on how big of SLUTS Girls are now !!!

OMG they have NO Self respect for themselves. Its no wonder so many woman are over weight and have wt issues.

Im sorry those kids were so mean to you . Pushing buttons is right.

But try not to let them get to you , most of it has to come odwn to the parents not teaching them anything , let along RESPECT for anyone else .

Cheer up your doing great !!

Mindy

Well Hell, my best friends daughter doesn't know I had the band, she is 14, and saw me tonite, first time since December, after the hug I always get, she said "oh my God you look so different". I took that to mean my lost weight, but reading your experiences could that have been a innocent insult?

Well Hell, my best friends daughter doesn't know I had the band, she is 14, and saw me tonite, first time since December, after the hug I always get, she said "oh my God you look so different". I took that to mean my lost weight, but reading your experiences could that have been a innocent insult?

No i dont think so , I think she meant you lost weightl. People are so afraid to ask you if you lost weight now . They dont want that to offend you .

I would take it as a compliment .

Good for you ! !

MIndy

I work in a high school and deal with it too. I used to work in the office where I was somewhat sheltered because that is the one area they avoid if at all possible. Now I am in the computer lab, so get exposed to them every day. It's not as bad now as it was when I first started there, but still humiliating sometimes. I look forward to the day I can crawl under a desk to check connections and not have to worry about how my big behind looks sticking up in the air!

I'm sorry you had to go through this. I know some days are harder than others, but you are making progress and that's what counts. Thank you for the job you do and good luck!

Well, Huggie, you know those kids in detention are going to do everything they can to try to make your life as miserable as their lives. They aren't happy, and they want to reach out and spread that unhappiness.

Juvenile justice is hard, because those kids need so much, and don't know how to ask for it, especially since they really don't know what they need.

When I get cussed out by one of my juvenile probation clients, I just smile and tell them I really don't care what they think of me. I'm still going to do my job, and try to help them.

I also tell them they may not realize it, but I'm the best friend they have at the moment, because I have a lot of influence over the rest of their lives. They can have a nice probation officer, or they can have an evil hateful probation officer, whichever one they want. They get to pick which one they want by their actions, and the joy of it is that either way, I'm that probation officer.

Like I said, nice or evil, mean, and nasty, it's their choice.

The best part of it all is when one comes back later and thanks me for doing the things that I've done. I've had several tell me that they hated me for the longest time, but by the time they finish, they liked me because they knew I really was their best friend since I was trying to get the best for their lives (even though it didn't feel like it at the time.)

I wrote about this experience awhile back. I am retired from 30 years of teaching middle school. One day, I was kidding about my weight (I called myself "fluffy") and a boy called out and said, "You're not fat, Mrs. B, you're just short, so you LOOK fat."

I thought it was hysterical. He was trying to be nice, but being a middle schooler, his mouth worked before his brain could activate.