Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I going to lose weight????

Why i do always have the doubt that i'm not gonna lose any weight, and sometimes i feel that am very sure that i will not, and the whole band is just nothing and will do nothing!!!! i was banded 26 april, i didn't lose much weight at ALL, and started to feel really hungry and I ate, even the dr told me not to !! i'm starving and the dr want me to stay on liquid diet!!!!!! Too Much!!!!!! Help:sad:

My best piece of advice is to stick with what your doctor has told you. This initial period isn't so much about losing weight, but about healing from your surgery.

It's hard. I've also had some hard days, but you need to do this in order to heal and be able to move on to the next steps.

Hang in there.

Why i do always have the doubt that i'm not gonna lose any weight, and sometimes i feel that am very sure that i will not, and the whole band is just nothing and will do nothing!!!! i was banded 26 april, i didn't lose much weight at ALL, and started to feel really hungry and I ate, even the dr told me not to !! i'm starving and the dr want me to stay on liquid diet!!!!!! Too Much!!!!!! Help:sad:

Believe me, we all have our difficult times as old habits are hard to break. You need to develope a "can do" attitude:thumbup: I know you can do it! Be sure you are getting enough Protein as that does a lot to stave off real hunger. Try to busy yourself with other things to keep your mind off food. I know it's easier said than done but you will eventually find what will work best for you and you now have a great tool to helpp you do it!! Good luck and stay motivated. There is a lot of power in positive thinking!!

Edited by 4evrwild

I think that fear is natural, at least it was (and sometimes still is) a fear of mine....but you have to fight it. Stay strong. My Doctor told me that some people do not lose weight until three or four fills later. You can do this. Breathe deep and take it one day at a time.

Salam,

Salaam Alaikum! Be patient you will soon be able to transition into the mushy phase and then the solid phase. When did your Dr say you could start the mushie stage?

Yes, you will lose weight. You do need to do your best to follow your doctor's instructions, although I know it can be hard at first.

It's been 3 weeks since your surgery so I assume you are at least on mushy food now if not transitioning to solids.

Some ways to help avoid eating when you don't want to be:

1) Go do something that absorbs your interest. Something that requires both hands or that you can't eat and do is best, like sewing or gardening.

2) Take a walk. Doesn't have to be a brisk, "exercise-pace" walk. A slow meander through nearby neighborhoods, the zoo, a local botanical garden, etc can be really nice.

3) Stretch or do some yoga

4) Do some patterned breathing exercises for relaxation.

5) Remind yourself that hunger is not an emergency.

6) If you are about to cave and eat a snack that you shouldn't, put it off for just 5 minutes. Then see if you can put it off for just 5 more minutes.

7) Re-read your list of reasons why you want to be thin. If you don't have a list, sit down and make one. First brainstorm all the reasons you want to lose weight. Then put them in approximate priority order. Read it at least daily, imagining yourself meeting those goals or doing the things on the list.

8) Make sure that when it is meal or planned snack time that you choose foods that will "stay with you" and not spike your blood sugar. i.e. combine Protein + carbs rather than having carbs alone.

9) Have a non-caloric drink. Hot tea, cold tea, coffee, Crystal Light, Propel, Water, etc.

I'm sure others can chime in with some other ideas!

I feel your pain! For real!

Just know this..... if you go in for fills like you should....you will reach a point where you will physically be limited on the quantity of food you can intake.

Once that happens....you will lose weight.

I ate like a pig for years, did after being banded, too...although I tried to diet.

Once I got restriction, that in itself was a tool for me to begin to relearn how to eat.

Good luck!

Salam, This time period is called Bandster Hell for a reason! It is a time for healing from surgery. You will lose weight!! I am four and half months out and down 55 pounds. I too had moments of doubt. Once you heal and start getting fills, you will become restricted and eat less and think less about eating. Hang in there, we have all traveled the same road and you are not alone. Best Wishes.

During my preop diet, I lost 15 lbs. However, since my surgery (4/23) I have only lost about 10 lbs. When I first came home from the hospital after my surgery I WEIGHED 5 LBS MORE THAN I did when I stepped on the scale an hour before my surgery!!! Depressing.

My post op exam is set for 6/19 & I am really hoping to lose a bunch more weight before then. Keep me in your prayers!!!!