Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation!!!!!

Just wondering what people are doing to stay regular since so many foods that contain Fiber are hard for us to eat. Any and all suggestions would be very helpful.

Just wondering what people are doing to stay regular since so many foods that contain fiber are hard for us to eat. Any and all suggestions would be very helpful.

Prunes, microwaved with Water and Grand Marnier or Brandy for 4-5 minutes. Five maximum in a serving, daily. Really delicious!

Weedwoman

Bran Cereal mixed with fruit yogurt

prunes

In general, making sure I'm getting in my fruits & veggies and that when I do have grains that they are whole grains like brown rice instead of white.

Also, I've found that drinking plenty of Water and getting daily exercise (even if it's just 10-15 min of brisk walking) really helps.

I still don't go every day -- more like every third day. I think I'm just not eating enough food overall to go every day.

I take a stool softner, without laxative, every day. Works like a champ and my doc blessed the daily dose.

Thanks for posting this CJ. My last stretch was 9 days without a bm. I've tried prunes, Miralax, stool softeners. I have diverticulitis, so it's not good to go so long between. I'll bring it up with my surgeon when I have my check up end of June.

I look forward to seeing everyone's responses.

Sue

Well, I know what NOT to take... an Iron supplement :-( My pre-op blood tests showed my Iron levels were low, and because not a lot of red meat, I bought an iron supplement - which has caused me 2 weeks of very difficult BMs. I just discovered the connection when googling for Constipation relief.

I bought some benefibre - and stir it into my morning Vitamins. Can't taste it or smell it - great stuff.

i take senekot (2) - they're the size of a baby asprin.

they work fast w/out cramping & get me back on the "regular" path.

I eat a bowl of regular (not instant) oatmeal every day, barely microwaved (less than a minute) and fruit galore, and I'm still constipated. So my doctor prescribed Amitiza - works like a charm.

I'm tight in the mornings, so I usually have a Protein Shake or yogurt for Breakfast and I mix in 2 or 3 spoonfuls of Benefiber. If I get stopped up I rely on good ole MOM (milk of magnesia). I'm running to the potty about an hour after that. Pre surgery, I had multiple bm's a day and they were the sudden urge types, now I go once every couple of days or once a day. Maybe TMI, but oh well.

I stopped taking my Calcium supplement because I was getting WAY (almost 3 times Daily recommendation) too much from the combo of my diet and supplement. That can really back you up. I also eat 1-2 prunes a day (love them).

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I am going to put a few into motion. I just went three weeks without a bm and I finally had to use exlax. Even though I was never a everyday kind of person, I know that was way too long. In fact now that I'm thinking about it, it could have been dangerous. I really have a hard time with Cereal and fruit so I think I'm going to try the benefibre. Thanks again everyone.