Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lessons Learned after stalling out-post LB

Guest wcooksey

Guest wcooksey

I had my LB done 11/04 at Baylor. By 2/05 I had 3 fills and lost 35 lbs. From around 2/05 to 4/10/05 I lost no more weight, even though I WAS eating considerably less than pre-surgury. I recently discovered the problem and though I would share it with the group.

Where I work, lunch is catered 3 days a week. I knew from the start this was Bad-Mo-Jo, so I started eating the salad or veggies first. Now my rule of thumb is: 4x the volume of salad or veggies than 'main course', so by the time I get to the high cal/fat food, my pouch is getting full.

BUT

I went back to an old website I used to use in my hard-core dieting days (www.fitday.com - great site by the way), started putting my daily intake in, counting calories, and almost fell out of my chair. I WAS eating less, but those big-o-salads that came up to about 150 calories were getting slathered with dressing that was over 500 calories!!! Those 'lowfat' turkey sandwiches that were only 250-300 calories, with one or two packets of mayo. . .were now almost 400 calories! WOW!!! The volume of food I was taking in HAS been much less since the surgery, but I was STILL taking in around 3000 calories a day on the small stuff!

SOOOOooooo. . .now if I can't stay under 1800 calories a day, I try to max out at 2000 calories a day. This is still a BUNCH of calories and affords me the meals that satisfy. I actually found that on some days I can even manage to stay around 1600 calories without being hungry or 'denying' myself some of the high cal/fat stuff that everyone around me is eating. One pack of mayo on the sandwich and add a packet of mustard. Oil and vinegar dressings (not even the lowfat stuff) that unlike the ranch-style stuff, goes a LOT farther on a salad with a lot less volume. Half an enchilada with more Mexican rice first. McDs grilled chk ceaser salad (200 cal) with lowfat dressing (not as bad as I thought it would be-40 cal) instead of splitting a 700 cal Big Mac with my wife (remember...eating less volume, but still 350 cal) and 3 French fries instead of a 'small fry' (with who-knows how many cals).

SUCCESS!! I have once again started loosing. Last week I was down 4 lbs-my first weight loss in 2 months-with 'relatively' little change in my eating habits. Now I'm going to start doing what I dread the most: exercise! I found a great gym for a GREAT price (forget the $79 'application fee' and 1 year contract crap) and hopefully I can loose it even faster.

For those of you who finished reading all my post, sorry for the 'tome', but I really wanted to get this off my chest.

William

Sometimes I really think it is the smallest habits... that when broken bring success!!!!! Good for you. Sounds like you are really listening to your body and understanding what it takes to back off from some foods to let that scale go down. Great job and keep us posted on your progress!!!

These things have been my biggest troubles... I used to dip everything into something.... Bad idea... Thanks for the tips... Good luck to you..

William,

Thanks for sharing. I am coming to make similar revelations! It is nice that with the band helping to control our portions, the slightest changes in our eating habits can make just enough difference for the weight loss to continue.

Good luck and keep up the great job.

This is good to know. I haven't received insurance approval yet. I think that is one of the most frustrating things about just dieting. It seems you can eat almost nothing and not lose weight. I am looking forward to the band.