Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ran into my lap-band coordinator yesterday; public speaking

Whilst sitting in a waiting room for many hours (fill problems, blah blah blah), I had a surprise visit from the coordinator of the Lap Band program at the hospital.

I had dealt with her about a year ago, when setting this thing up. She runs the local support group meetings, but as of yet I have not attended any of them.

So she sticks her head in the room, and asks "do you know me?" Strange question, but I do in fact recognize her since she's "in context" in the hospital. She then says that she doesn't know who I am, but that she had been told by the nurses that one of her lap band patients was in the room. At first, she didn't even believe that I was a lap band guy, but I pulled out the driver's license and she recognized me from that photo.

We had a long discussion about the journey, and what this has been like. She was taking copious notes, apparently she's trying to get follow up info for patients to meet some regulatory guideline. I told her I was blogging about this ("what's a blog? Do I use Netscape for that?") and that she could read that if she wanted.

Normal platitudes, "ya look great", etc. She's trying to get me to come to the support meetings as a speaker. I'm thinking that one over, not sure that I want to get in front of anyone to talk about this stuff. Talking physical changes is easy, but if they ask about the emotional/mental ones I'm not sure what to say.

Besides, my complications would scare the bejeepers out of the newbies....

So my Q to the group, and the reason for the post -- has anyone been put in the position of talking to support groups and potential WLS people? If so, was that worth doing, and would you go talk to them again? I'm not a big fan of public speaking, but a small group might be ok.

I've done a lot of public speaking - but not about the lap-band. But that's because I am relatively new to it, and no one has asked me! I love to talk. I am a freak of nature - I enjoy public speaking.

However, to me the issue is not the subject as much as your comfort level in talking. If you are comfortable with doing so, and are prepared for people to ask questions, then go for it!

Whilst sitting in a waiting room for many hours (fill problems, blah blah blah), I had a surprise visit from the coordinator of the Lap Band program at the hospital.

I had dealt with her about a year ago, when setting this thing up. She runs the local support group meetings, but as of yet I have not attended any of them.

So she sticks her head in the room, and asks "do you know me?" Strange question, but I do in fact recognize her since she's "in context" in the hospital. She then says that she doesn't know who I am, but that she had been told by the nurses that one of her lap band patients was in the room. At first, she didn't even believe that I was a lap band guy, but I pulled out the driver's license and she recognized me from that photo.

We had a long discussion about the journey, and what this has been like. She was taking copious notes, apparently she's trying to get follow up info for patients to meet some regulatory guideline. I told her I was blogging about this ("what's a blog? Do I use Netscape for that?") and that she could read that if she wanted.

Normal platitudes, "ya look great", etc. She's trying to get me to come to the support meetings as a speaker. I'm thinking that one over, not sure that I want to get in front of anyone to talk about this stuff. Talking physical changes is easy, but if they ask about the emotional/mental ones I'm not sure what to say.

Besides, my complications would scare the bejeepers out of the newbies....

So my Q to the group, and the reason for the post -- has anyone been put in the position of talking to support groups and potential WLS people? If so, was that worth doing, and would you go talk to them again? I'm not a big fan of public speaking, but a small group might be ok.

My doc has asked if I would come to a newbie seminar and speak - I said yes - but so far they haven't contacted me.

What were your complications - I have seen you around the board but didn't know you had problems.

I think that newbies need to know about the emotional part of our experiences 1st hand - I think it would be most beneficial to them - they don't talk about how we can miss eating out we cope with out food in our face 24/7- Think that is what makes a successful bander - is doing the mental work that goes along with it - the band its self isn't going to make you lose the weight

I know that you have been successful and that in it's self is inspirational to others - but they need to know the work involved to be successful..

IMHO you should do it...

My doctor asked me to attend the support group meetings as there are VERY FEW lap banders and mostly bypass patients. I have been successful, so he wanted me to go and give a postive voice to the merits of lap band. I go. The bypass patients can be viscious. (I think they're jealous....LOL After being subjected to that hell, I would be jealous of someone with a band who lost just as much as I did, and didn't have to get their stomach cut out, take B-12 shots monthly, get the runs if you eat sugar, etc. etc. etc.) I too don't mind public speaking, and would do it if asked. But it would have to be an audience that I would never see again. I'm kind of private about my band.

A friend of mine was getting banded a couple of months ago and she wanted to go to my doc based on my research. I told her no, she needed to do her own research. So there was a doctor from Mexico that was doing a seminar here locally.

We went there and as soon as we walked in the door he grabbed me and pulled me to the front of the group and introduced me as HIS patient. I never met the man in my life. Oups. What was I supposed to say? Hey, this is Dr. "X" seminar but I went to Dr. Aceves!

HA!

I didn't, I just said I was too shy and didn't speak in front of groups. He kept pushing me to speak and I didn't.

My own doctor has asked me to speak and I just can't. I'm not a public speaker. I get nervous and forget what the topic is.

A friend of mine was getting banded a couple of months ago and she wanted to go to my doc based on my research. I told her no, she needed to do her own research. So there was a doctor from Mexico that was doing a seminar here locally.

We went there and as soon as we walked in the door he grabbed me and pulled me to the front of the group and introduced me as HIS patient. I never met the man in my life. Oups. What was I supposed to say? Hey, this is Dr. "X" seminar but I went to Dr. Aceves!

HA!

I didn't, I just said I was too shy and didn't speak in front of groups. He kept pushing me to speak and I didn't.

My own doctor has asked me to speak and I just can't. I'm not a public speaker. I get nervous and forget what the topic is.

Wasa

That's so hard to believe you are such an articulate person and knowledgeable in all this medical & surgical stuff - You are a prime example of person who has succeeded..

You shy :biggrin:- That's hard to believe - are you really in real life shy??

Wasa

That's so hard to believe you are such an articulate person and knowledgeable in all this medical & surgical stuff - You are a prime example of person who has succeeded..

You shy :biggrin:- That's hard to believe - are you really in real life shy??

One on one and I'm great, but public speaking? Nooooo, not me. I start speaking so fast nobody can understand anything I say anyway. Then when I get nervous I start cracking jokes and well... you have to know me to love me and understand my dry dry dry sense of humor. ;o)

*I* think my jokes are hysterical, not everyone agrees. HA!

I used to teach and even getting in front of a large class...I had to psych myself up for it. Once I was on a roll it was fine but it was still hard.

Also, as most of us I have body image issues. I'm 130-135# right now but feel like I look over 200#. That's hard too, I'm forever adjusting clothes to cover up fat... It's weird, I know.

I speak on a panel of post-ops at my surgeon's mandatory Behavioral Health "class". I was very nervous the first time, but it's pretty informal. There are usually 3 to 5 of us (and up to 13 of them) and we just remain seated in a circle of tables and chairs.

I never even thought about not doing it when I was asked. To me, it adds yet another layer of accountability, and I can always use that! Not only that, but I feel like I'm "paying back" and that's a great feeling.

May I just say how encouraging it is to see so many foks here who have lost 100 pounds or more in a year or 14 months! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO encouraged and it is part of what keeps me focused. If y'all can do it, so can I. I lost 90 pounds once on my own in about 14 months but then gained it all back. That is why I did this...I thought I could do the food plan, but I needed a tool to help me keep it off and to help me get refocused if I started gaining it back.

Thanks so much folks. Just so you know how very encouraging it is! I think ALL of you have a lot to contribute to a group.

And by the way..I love hearing about the struggle part of it as well..cause I know I am not alone. A few people make it sound like it was really easy and they never went off track at all. Perfection is achieved by few>>>but it is great to heat that although the road was bumpy< it led to real weight loss>

Cindi

manatee, after reading your post here, I spent some time last night reading through your blog journey for the first time and...I think you have a story to tell. You're right..you can authentically speak into the physical side of making a choice for health and the role that exercise has played (is playing) in your journey to a healthier self. IMO, you have also written about another whole aspect of weight loss ~ that there IS an emotional and mental side to this journey that simply cannot be ignored. I'd be bold enough to say that most of us have something to deal with here...and you're working through it. I am inspired by your story...even hearing about the complications. You have ultimately made a commitment to yourself and followed through in so many ways. I agree with what you wrote early on that blogging/journaling helps. This could be a big help to a newly banded person. Also, another purpose of a support group is sometimes just to hear that what we're experiencing is *normal*, meaning that someone else 'gets it', understands, is willing to talk about it so I can learn from YOU. You don't need to share personal details but generally speaking that getting support (medical, psychological) when you need it is part of this and not to shy away from it or neglect it. So, I'd enourage you, manatee, to GO FOR IT.