Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back but not so hot

Well I know my hubby came here and posted but im to tired and sore to find it so i figured i will just start a new one.

Monday april 11th i went in for a lapband. I came out and was told everything went great. by tuesday I still wasnt able to swallow anything and could barely do much of anything. Morphine wasnt helping much. I did a barrum swallow tuesday and it showed nothing going through so my doctor gave me one more day to figure out if the swelling would go down. He gave me throat spray and told me no more Water or ice chips till the next test. Wednesday morning I had another swallow test, same results. it was going through but very very slowly. and my throat was bleeding.

so they sent me straight to surgery on wednesday afternoon. over the coarse of the week I had 5 viens collapse and 3 failed iv attempts so they decided to put in a centeral line this time. (while i was under thank god) if you dont know thats a "tube" that goes to your heart from somewhere.. mine was in my arm. I was given two choices, go in and fix the problem or take it all out. My family decided for me because at that point i wanted it all out. I was in tears going under and thats all I remember until I woke up in recovery. I was sent back to my room and slept the rest of the night.

I woke up thursday and was able to swallow water and anything they threw at me. I had my first "meal" since sunday thursday for dinner. Good ole chicken broth and tea. i didnt eat very much of it but it sure felt good to know i wasnt starving to death. I did the barrum swallow thursday and evertyhing went straight down with no problems. they kept me another night to make sure things stayed on track.

so basically what happened? heh.. i guess i had an extra artery near my esophagus that when the band was placed the swelling around the artery caused acid to eat at my esophagus which caused more swelling, and of course bleeding and pain. during surgery they just went in and took out the extra artery and slapped in the larger band and have no problems now.

so now i think im on the "normal" recovery part, except my incesions are twice as sore being opened twice and all. There are a few things that really suck such as not being able to swallow i wasnt able to take my birth control so i'm bleeding pretty bad (pcos, havent had period in a year) and i have really bad diaherra.

They dont mention the fact that your gonna be to sore to wipe your ass. I was bit embarassed about this whole ordial. I cant get in and out of bed alone yet im just to sore.

and as far as food.. i still am not sure i made the right choice. i want to eat pizza right now so bad. i wonder every minute and everytime it hurts if this was the right decision. my hubby keeps telling me my case wasnt typical if everything wouldve worked out right then i would be fine by now. i find it hard to make myself eat, and drink. i just dont feel like its needed..

i just keep telling myself ill be skinning soon.

ill be back soon hopefully feeling better

oh yea a few things i forgot to mention, on my week preop diet that i cheated on with subway and some other stuff like Tomato Soup and grilled cheese i lost a total of 6 pounds before surgery.

and.. with all the damn oxygen i was on i still have a bloody nose everytiume i turn around.. that gets annoying.

and of course to top all of that off i feel like im drowning sometimes like my lungs are full of Water.. hope its not pneminua (spelling sucks)

As much as you can I think you need to get up and walk around. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I am so sorry for all your issues but it sounds like you are on the road to weight loss now. Keep us posted.

HUGS

You sure did go through an awful lot. Continue to concentrate on getting better, the weight will start coming off in time, but for now just work on healing.

Hang in there!!

Im confused, did they take out ur band and port? I am so sorry, but I am glad to hear u r feeling better. Everyone here is wishing u the best.

I'm PRETTY sure you have a new and bigger band, right Katie? I, too, and having trouble, so all my best to you as you recover. This damn band better be worth it, right? Exactly how I feel (I'm waiting on news of possible slippage...bummer) but you make me feel a little better, sorry, but your saga is more difficult than mine :D (((HUGS))) to you. You WILL recover.

Wow, sorry you had to go throught all that. But glad your feeling better. I just wonder what really determines the size band you get. I thought the Dr decided that while doing the surgery. According to how big or fatty your stomach is?

Well, I'm glad your on the road to recovery. Everything shoud be o.k now, right?

Stay strong.

I am very glad that you are doing better now. You really have had a rough experience but it sounds like the worst if over. I had trouble getting out out of bed also. You might find it easier to sleep in a recliner or futon that is not fully reclined. Hopefully, the second time will be the charm for you! And I wish you a super speedy recovery!

Katie

I pray the worst is behind you. Please remember that you are working on your future. Remember it took years to gain the weight. So take it one day at a time.

An extra artery! Wow, Katie, that's a doozy of a complication. :D

So glad to hear your surgeries are over and you're on the road to recovery. You'll be back in fighting form before you know it. Be good to yourself and rest!!

I do have the bigger band now my family pretty much decided for me that I will redo it instead of undo it all.

Basically the surgeon said that in the surgery they measure to see if a certain instrument will go trhough the band, if it does then they know they have the right fitting band. (the smaller one worked from a typical case) but because i had an extra artery in there that caused more swelling or something rather he called the #1 surgeon in the world *still not sure who that was yet im gonna ask him* and he recommended to go in and put the bigger band in.

So if i wouldnt have had an extra doosey up in there then the smaller band would have worked okay.

im starting to not feel so bad and finding new things to get down.

Wow- Well that is quite a strat to the "New YOU". What a fighter you are. You will be a great Champion with this band. Look at what you have done so far!!! I bet your weight loss will begin to motivate you even more & within the next few weeks you will know you definetly made the best & healthiest decision for yourself. I am very happy you had such a great support team in place. It sound like you are on the mends. Just don't go to fast with actual food. Your throat realy went through alot of pain & may be easily irritated. Best of Luck! Keep us posted.

Katie,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Believe me it will get better. Try to get up and move around. That seemed to make the soreness go away faster. I hope all goes well for you.