Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water...Lost Restriction?

OK...so I have noticed that when I get in the recommended amount of Water 64oz + my stomach/pouch is a lot looser than normal. I can eat more and I don't stay full as long. On days when I am not so good on the water I am really tight. I can hardly eat! Has anyone experienced this? I hope I am not the only one. It bothers me. Unfortunately I am one of the bandsters that need to be RESTRICTED to stay on track most days.

Let me know your experiences....

When I mentioned it to my doctor yesterday he looked at me like he had never heard that before.....

Drinking Water always makes me hungry. It did before the band, and it probably always will. So that is why I only drink Water when I am getting ready to eat. I drink my water...wait a half hour and then eat. I can (and always have been able to) guzzle my water quickly. Even when I was so tight I couldn't eat I could get water down very quickly. So I just guzzle away, wait and then eat.

I don't know if it makes my pouch any less restricted because I am completely unfilled right now, but I do know that it will trigger that I am hungry.

Ok...Maybe I am just crazy. Or, prehaps I was never at the right restriction....I am not sure, but I think it's weird......

My surgeon said you should get 32 to 64 ounces of Water a day. That old rule about 8 8-oz glasses every day for every person is a myth. If drinking that much Water works for you, and you feel better drinking it, then great, you should keep drinking it! But if you are in good health, and not working in high temperatures, your body does not need that much water. Plus remember your food contains water too. It's pretty clearly not working for you, so I think you should feel safe in dialing back as long as you don't go below 32 ounces.

snopes.com: Eight Glasses of Water a Day

Edited by afw

My surgeon said you should get 32 to 64 ounces of Water a day. That old rule about 8 8-oz glasses every day for every person is a myth. If drinking that much Water works for you, and you feel better drinking it, then great, you should keep drinking it! But if you are in good health, and not working in high temperatures, your body does not need that much water. Plus remember your food contains water too. It's pretty clearly not working for you, so I think you should feel safe in dialing back as long as you don't go below 32 ounces.

snopes.com: Eight Glasses of Water a Day

I concur. I rarely get in the amount of water that they say I should...and I think I have done just fine. As I mentioned earlier...drinking makes me hungry...so why would I want to do that.

Birdee you may lose restriction from drinking...especially if you are drinking something warm. I know that a lot of people will drink something warm to loosen themselves up so they can eat in the morning. There is no reason to think that you are crazy. One thing I have to say that I have learned in these last 9 months is that...everyone is different...and nothing surprises me about the band.

I also feel like when I drink tons of Water I too can eat more. Maybe its because water in the pouch causes food to be softer and passes through quicker than when we drink less???