Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ready to Get on the Loser's Bench

Hey Guys,

I would like to introduce myself. I'm Jan from Arkansas. I'm married, the mother of a wonderful young lady and the grandmother of the cutest four kids in Arkansas. I've thought about weight loss surgery for several years now; but, my husband pretty much said "no-way". He wouldn't even talk about it...so I let it drop. Last February, I went to a seminar given by Dr Roller in Springdale AR. I came home real excited about the lapband and attempted to explain it to him. He was still totally against it; but, at least he was willing to listen. Gradually, using my womanly wiles I began to convert him. Not really, but he did become more open to my decision to have lapband surgery. He's still not a convert; basically, because he's fearful of the risk for me. But, he will support me and cheer me along I'm sure.

After hearing Dr Roller speak at the seminar, I scheduled an appointment with him on the 25th of February. My husband attended this appointment with me and I have to admit I left there more confused than ever. I wasn't sure if I really wanted the lapband, if I wanted RNY or if I just wanted to try and diet again for the upteenth thousandth time. So, I just came to a stop and did a lot of praying and lurking around on bariatric surgery sites. Finally, in late March early April I decided I did want the lapband and things have just moved along rapidly since then. I started doing all my test and appointments. My insurance was no problem. I went for my preop visit yesterday (May 13th) and I'm scheduled for surgery Monday the 19th. I have to admit I still have some mixed feelings. I'm neither real excited or scared about the surgery yet. I guess my biggest fear is giving up one of my bestfriends "Food". food has been such a big part of my life for so long-I hope and pray that I can do this.

I know the band is just a tool and that it will take a lot of work on my part. But, hopefully this time next week I'll be home and on my way to being less of a women. Wish me luck!

Hi Jan, and welcome to LBT!

Our hubby's can definitely be protective creatures. My dh was dead set against gbp when I mentioned it. Then, I discovered this site and learned about the band. He agreed to go to a seminar with me, asked a lot of questions, paid careful attention to everything that was said and by the time we left, he was in support of my having it done. They just love us and don't want anything bad to happen to us. I am glad yours is coming around, because that support is important.

I am so happy for you. My husband did not want me to get the lapband either. i think he was more concerned about the complications of surgery, and what would happen if I didnt make it. But as the saying goes if mama not happy, no body is happy. I have been banded 3 months, and its still a challenge. Im a sweets eater and I miss it so much. Just yesterday I had to talk myself out of eating some oreo Cookies. I am trying to lose a certain amount by my b-day next month. I wish u well on your journey.

Nana,

I can identify with your sentiment of being neither scared or excited as I approached surgery. I had tried everything else for so many years, I was just numb.:thumbup: I was banded April 28. I am about 2 weeks post op and feeling great! My husband, once skeptical of the procedure, has turned out to be my biggest support. He is also morbidly obese and has begun the process toward lapband surgery. I wish you the very best as you move toward a healthier you. Stay with this support board. I have learned so much and know that you are not alone.

Thank you all for your support. I guess the next few weeks will be the beginning of a new life for me. I appreciate all the advice and help I can get from experienced banders. Congratulations to everyone's success.

Congratulations on your decisions to get banded! I hope surgery goes well for you Monday. Post and let us know how you are doing as soon as you feel up to it.

Hey Kathy,

Thanks for the words of encouragement...I need them right now. We started all our procedures about the same time. Hang in there girl....your right behind me. Jan