Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCP Recommends Byetta Instead

I am just in the preliminary stages. I have done my research, attended the seminar, made consultation appointments with surgeon, nutritionist and psychologist.

My PCP, however, recommends that I take Byetta instead of having the costly Lap Band surgery. This really confused me. Is he saying this works just as well? Is he saying I have Type 2 diabetes? Can I get another opinion?

I really want this band and my doctor has thrown a major wrench in the puzzle.

Any suggestions? I need advice.

That sounds like a weird recommendation unless you actually have diabetes. Byetta will lower your blood sugar and can help you lose weight. It can also make you very nauseous. I took it for awhile for diabetes, but couldn't tolerate it.

I would get a second opinion. If you are morbidly obese and a good candidate for lapband, I personally think it's a healthier option that injecting Byetta twice a day for the rest of your life.

Byetta is only indicated for people with Type 2 diabetes. If you are not diabetic or even pre-diabetic, you should not take the risk. People only lose 10-20 pounds on average on Byetta and it is not permanent. You could suffer from low blood sugars if you are not running high now. Sounds like this doc isn't familiar with Lap-band and needs some more education on the subject!

I work for a diabetes pharmaceutical company and I have seen hundreds of people on Byetta. It works well for most but it is not permanent and the first few weeks contain a lot of nausea and GI side effects.

Ultimately, it's your choice, not the docs!!

First of all, I would find out exactly why he wants you to take the Byetta. Do you have diabetes or is it strictly for weightloss? If he is suggesting you take it strictly for weightloss, I would ask him first, why he thinks drugs are a better tool than surgery and second, how he suggests you keep the weight off that you lose once you come off the medication.

Let us know how it goes.

James,

Where ya from? We don't have the same PCP do we? He tried that with me, it ultimately didn't work. It is not a recommended usage of Byetta, but I think the drug reps are kinda pushing it for weight loss. Yucky side affects and giving yourself shots twice a day was not very fun for me. Plus its a usage for the drug that has not been studied.

I tried Byetta for weight loss, and it didn't really work. I lost some weight initially, but I think that was because I was watching what I was eating more. Then when I went up to full dose, I was nauseous, and didn't lose weight for a month, so I quit. I think I would try it again if I had diabetes (god forbid! That's why I'm getting banded), but even the drug company that makes Byetta has different weight-loss drugs in trials, not Byetta. So I think it's a minor aid for weight loss at best...

There's no drug that works the way WLS works. I wouldn't bother.