Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insulin Resistance

Initially I lost 17 pounds after surgery and gained back 3 and stayed there. I've become frustrated and started thinking about what was said to me before surgery. I had the beginings of "syndrom X" metobolic disorder or insulin resistance. Reducing my food intake isn't going to help my body lose weight. I've been doing some research this morning and found some information here is the link to a sample diet...

Insulin Resistance Diet

Does anyone else have this problem?

Fran

My PCP, whom I'm now considering ditching BTW, kept telling me that I had insulin resistance. I don't think I do though. I haven't had much of an issue losing my weight.

I think he was just trying to put me on another new expensive drug that the drug reps he's in bed with are pushing. The diet does look good though. I find I have a lot of hunger issues if I eat carbs. I try to have Protein based Snacks if I must have one.

Today the only solid food I had was celery with tofu dip. The rest was Protein drinks and Protein Bars. Breakfast 1 Protein shake 34g Protein 300 calories.

snack 2 stalks celery with toful dip 300 calories

lunch coffee black 1 20g protein 280 calories

snack spicy nut tead and 20g protein 280 calories.

Total of 860 calories.

Guess that solid food for me is a no no. The scale moved 3 pounds. Go figure.:biggrin:

Hi Ladytuscanny, Thanks for putting that link in. I have just read it and it was very interesting. I was told my sugar levels were normal and my insulin levels were sky high. I found it a very good read. Thanks.

Saleel22

I'll be seeing my pcp today. During the surgery I had a liver biopsy done and it came back that I had "Fatty liver disease". The research that I have been doing states that fatty liver disease can be reversed with diet, excercise and sometimes glucophage. BTW the "FLD" is also accompanied by insulin resistance. I want to make the weight come off, but if my body is have trouble metabolizing what I eat, then I need some more help. I'm not sure what she will say today. I can't imagine myself eating nothing but Protein Shakes, bars and celery for the rest of my life.

Since my band I see a physician that does my fills. He works with the surgeon as well. He is a natropath as well as other things and ordered a lot of tests for me. He has put me on some caps. called Gluco-support that I take with each meal to help with the insulin. I have found out that I have a dairy,wheat and soy intolerance so I was fighting a losing battle with weight loss before. He also ordered a stack of caps. from the US from the Health Institute for me that are packed with Vitamins. I had low Iron, Magnesium, Zinc and too much copper,oestrogon and insulin. I take heaps of caps. but it will only be for a couple of months to get everything working again. I have heaps more energy so something must be working. I am just lucky that this man was employed by the Bariatric surgery to do these tests on lap banders to help diagnose any problems. Good luck seeing your Dr today. Yes a fatty liver can be helped by diet.

Saleel22

Before the surgery I had a blood test that found I am allergic to milk, whey, lamb, chicken eggs and corn. That leaves me very little to eat out of a grocery store. Even though I didn't turn up a gluten allergy she thinks that I may have that as well. That doesn't leave me much to eat in the traditional american cuisuine. I'm going to start incorporating legumes into my diet. Lentis come to mind. I can pick up all kinds at the local indian market by my house. I've also started to eat more fish. Not my favorite thing! Since I have the fatty liver disease starchy veggies are a no no as well as white rice, Pasta and even brown rice. Thank goodness i like soy or I would really be in trouble.:thumbup: