Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of pre-op diet are you on?

After reading a few of these blogs, I feel more confused then relieved....

Am I doing my pe-op diet correctly? or am I screwing things up for myself???

I am on a high Protein, low carb, low sugar, low fat diet. I am drinking 2 Protein shakes a days and 2 small meals with a lean meat and green veggies ( And I am getting real tired of broc)... I am worried that I am doing everything wrong... what kind of pre-op diets does you doctor have you on? whay are there so many diffent ones?

My Surgery is May 21st...<yikes>

My Dr didn't put me on one at all. However, I did the two shakes per day plus a sensible dinner. I wish I knew why there are so many different diets from the Drs. However, if you're following what yours says to do I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck!!!

I only have to do a clear diet the day before surgery. They "suggested" a low carb/low fat diet two weeks prior. We keep hearing these diets are for shrinking of the liver, which makes surgery easier. My doctor's office indicated this is an issue for people who carry a majority of their weight around the middle. I assume "apple types".

I am on Atkins, got my date of May 21st yesterday and they told me to immediately go on Atkins induction phase. I am cool with that rather than the liquid for a week. That would blow my mind.

After reading a few of these blogs, I feel more confused then relieved....

Am I doing my pe-op diet correctly? or am I screwing things up for myself???

I am on a high Protein, low carb, low sugar, low fat diet. I am drinking 2 Protein shakes a days and 2 small meals with a lean meat and green veggies ( And I am getting real tired of broc)... I am worried that I am doing everything wrong... what kind of pre-op diets does you doctor have you on? whay are there so many diffent ones?

My Surgery is May 21st...<yikes>

Hey I'm in McKinney and that sounds like my diet to the T.....are you with Dr. Benavides or Dr. Felts (I'm Felts)? It sounds like you are reading right from the paper and that is good. I took it as 2-3 shakes per day (depending on the shake type), up to 2 healthy meals including lean meat only, and green veggies only IF YOU CHOOSE. Also 1 cup of fruit after a meal IF YOU CHOOSE (no bananas). And 2 scrambled eggs in the morning if you have to have Breakfast. So far during the week I do a shake at Breakfast, a lean lunch including a chicken breast or turkey breast (can't find fish I want grilled yet) with s/f Jello or fruit afterwards, and a shake for dinner. Sometimes for an after dinner snack I will eat a s/f popsicle or eat some grapes or something but so far that's not bad. And I have my 64oz jug of Water I drink throughout the day to help with hunger also. I usually do 2 scrambled eggs (with no milk) and 2 pieces of turkey bacon in the microwave for breakfast on the weekends, and that leaves me with 2 shakes and 1 meal left for the rest of the day. I think this pre-op diet is pretty flexible....:thumbdown:

My doctors' office requires a minimum 1 month pre-op diet that looks like this:

* two 16-oz Protein shakes with a total of at least 40 g of Protein, less than 250 calories, less than 25 g carbs, less than 5 (?) g fat - you can get products they offer or go to Vitaminn Shoppe or GNC

*one sensible meal with up to

4 oz of lean protein,

2 starches (1 serving being 1 piece of whole wheat bread, 1/2 cup of Pasta, 1/3 cup rice, 1/2 cup cooked corn, 1/2 small baked potato, etc),

2 veggies (1 serving being 1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup raw and not including high starch veggies),

2 fats (1 serving would be 1 tsp olive oil, 2 TBS nuts, etc.),

1 fruit (1 small apple, 1 small banana, 1/2 cup canned fruit in its own juice, etc.)

*1 high-protein snack containing less than 150 calories, no less than 15 grams protein, no more than 5 (?) grams of fat. You can use Protein Bars here or something like a few ounces of lean meat, cottage cheese, low-fat ricotta, etc.

And you can have as much of any sugar-free, non-carbonated/decaff beverages/jello/popsicles as you like, including broth which really saves me when I feel like I need something salty.

Edited by ebinsc

Thank you so much for replying...

I have Dr. Felts... My surgery is in exactly one week... I have to go to Decatur for the surgery, so all day I have been trying to find a decent hotel to stay in the night before.

I have been trying to sstick with the diet, it has been hard at times. Usually when I am by myself. I think no-one would know if I had some fries or a starbucks coffee... and then I chicken out drink a shake or eat a Protein meal bar.... I think i will mis beer the most, but only cause it is forbidden now... oh well....

where is you surgery?

I'm only a few days in on my 10 day pre-op diet and I'm here to tell you I'm about to eat my left arm off! I can have high Protein (low carb) shakes that equal 40-50 grams of protein a day. I'm allowed non caloric drinks like coffee, tea, obviously Water, no sugar added juice, sugar-free Jello, broth, but nothing solid (like my left arm). I know it's to get my liver and stomach ready but it's a real test of will power which I guess is something I'll need after banding. I just hope my arm grows back...........

I'm only a few days in on my 10 day pre-op diet and I'm here to tell you I'm about to eat my left arm off! I can have high Protein (low carb) shakes that equal 40-50 grams of Protein a day. I'm allowed non caloric drinks like coffee, tea, obviously Water, no sugar added juice, sugar-free Jello, broth, but nothing solid (like my left arm). I know it's to get my liver and stomach ready but it's a real test of will power which I guess is something I'll need after banding. I just hope my arm grows back...........

If you were to eat that left arm, at least it would be high in protein, which is what I am supposed to start today, but since it's not daylight yet, I am going to have one last Coca Cola and Little Debbie snack cake before I start the pre-op diet. Hang in there (with that good arm :party:

Hey JohnsonS, we are pretty much on the same diet. But you get 2 meals a day. I can have only one meal a day with 2 shakes and a cup of fruit. What I am doing must be working because I have only been on the diet 4 days and have already lost 7 lbs. I have 1 shake for Breakfast, small fruit mid-morning, chicken and lots of veggies for lunch(spinach,greenbeans,tomato's,peas,greens,broccoli), small fruit mid-afternoon, and for dinner, a vanilla shake blended with sugarfree vanilla pudding and fresh fruit like strawberries. The pudding thickens the shake and it sets longer and better in the stomach. Let set in the frig. to thicken for a while. I thought at first i would starve, but it has not been too bad and I still have to do this for 2 more weeks. Hope some of this helps. And Good Luck on the 21st. Keep us posted.

Stephanie