Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, my psych evaluation is Friday May 16th at 9:30 AM until around 1pm.

Can anyone tell me what to expect or give me an idea of what all happens (especially if you have had a psych evaluation that lasted this long.

Responses will be greatly appreciated.:thumbup:

Edited by froggi1985
spelling error

Hey! My eval was abot an hour or a bit more and I just had to talk to the social worker that runs the pre-op program at my hospital. They just wanted to know that I understood how life changing the surgery would be and if I had a support system. Because I was under 21 at the time I also had to talk to a psychologist so they could know I was mentally stable. I've heard that people have had to answer questionaires at longer evals. I was really nervous about mine but it ended up being no sweat. As long as you understand what the surgery entails you should do ok.

Well I had mine a few weeks ago.. really no big deal... She asked about history, mine and my families, family support, talked abit about normal challenges with change in life style/ body image. I had taken the MMPI ( an hour or so long personality inventory ) at the previous visit ... and we reveiwed it... Absolutely no surprises...

Piece of cake....

I think everyone's eval is a bit different.... but I wouldn't sweat it to much...

Hi My evaluation was from a therapist it took 20 mins she asked me a few questions about my education ,family life, growing up to present

she asked me if I was always over weight ( No I wasn't) and that was it $175 for 20 mins!

Hi My evaluation was from a therapist it took 20 mins she asked me a few questions about my education ,family life, growing up to present

she asked me if I was always over weight ( No I wasn't) and that was it $175 for 20 mins!

Only 20 minutes? Wow. Seems like not enough time.:thumbup:

For my first visit I was scheduled for 4-5 hours in which I had to take the Psyc Eval exam. It was something like 900 questions where you fill in the little dots for true and false. It was mind numbing for me, they asked questions like:Do you love your mother?, Would you like to be a florist? Have you ever stolen anything? Do you enjoy torturing small animals? :thumbup:...

On the second visit she went over the results of the exam and told me what the results show and it was pretty accurate for me. Then we discussed what to expect before and after the surgery and specific hurdles I may have based on my evaluation. I also had to sign an agreement that if anytime after the surgery, my surgeon feels that I need to see her that I will do so. The second visit took about an hour.

Edited by Jodi_620

So, my psych evaluation is Friday May 16th at 9:30 AM until around 1pm.

Can anyone tell me what to expect or give me an idea of what all happens (especially if you have had a psych evaluation that lasted this long.

Responces will be greatly appreciated.:thumbup:

they broke mine up into 2 appointments...the first appointment we talked about my weight issues, how and why I "felt" the band would help me, answered questions about life and how it can and would effect me...then they had me take 3 "tests" or quizes...they were multi choice and on my second appointment they went over the results...things like using food for comfort, over snacking...there were other more "personal" things that were part of the questionaire and we have been addressing those issues in sessions. I have had 5 sessions and every week i feel stronger about my choice to be banded! My paperwork was submitted today so hopefully i will have a surgery date within a couple of weeks!!!!!

Good luck to you!!!!

Mine was about 2 1/2 hours long. I took the tests, she went over them. She asked about my family history, any abuse, what my expectations were for the surgery. What my goals in life are, what struggles I feel I have overcome and what struggles I think I will face with the surgery. It wasn't difficult it just took a while..

:eek: I had my psych eval yesterday afternoon. It was with a psychologist that is approved by Healthnet and I only had to pay my $5 copay. We talked for about half and hour about surgery and my eating style (binge-grazer) and then I took a short evaluation for depression and a very long standardized assessment which was developed and normed expressively for weight loss surgery patients. It was the usual true/false questions but much of it seems aimed at self confidence/self image issues. After I finished the exam he told me that he would be recommending surgery! It turns out I was freaked out and worried for nothing. Good Luck in your journey to a healthier life!:thumbup:

To Onnie, congrats and I wish you luck on approval.:unsure:

To kozlosap congratulations as well! I'm glad they thought surgery would be good for you.:smile2:

To everyone thanks for the answers, it eases the worries some.:tongue2:

Looking forward to reading more responses! Keep 'em coming!

I can tell you exactly what to expect, because I figure you're going to the same psychologist I did. =) First, he makes you answer roughly 400 questions. They are all about the same 5-10 questions asked 50 different ways. Then he talks with you about your past, what led you down this path, and what your goals are. My appointment was 4 hours on the dot. Check on your appointment time, though. My husband was told 9:30 by the office and when he got there it was actually for 8:30. The psychologist gave him a hard time and wasn't going to do the testing. Just make sure it really is 9:30 to save yourself that trouble. Good luck! It really isn't all that bad.

Mine was scheduled for about that long - I had to do several true false 'tests'. it all depends on how quickly you do them I suppose. They were the standar psych tests. There was maybe a 30 minute interview with the shrink - asked basic questions did a couple memory things, had be draw a picture he showed to make sure I could connect the lines etc. There was a 72 question test - that had to do with food. other than that it was a breeze...

Hello I had my eval 1 week ago all she did was ask me questions like was I depressed ,did I understand how my life would change etc... it really wasn't anything lasted 40 minutes she told me I was very normal!:thumbup: Thank Goodness ha ha Good Luck to you!

Just to let you all know my psych eval went well. He said I am the perfect canidate for surgery. :thumbdown: Thanks for all the posts.

I can tell you exactly what to expect, because I figure you're going to the same psychologist I did. =) First, he makes you answer roughly 400 questions. They are all about the same 5-10 questions asked 50 different ways. Then he talks with you about your past, what led you down this path, and what your goals are. My appointment was 4 hours on the dot. Check on your appointment time, though. My husband was told 9:30 by the office and when he got there it was actually for 8:30. The psychologist gave him a hard time and wasn't going to do the testing. Just make sure it really is 9:30 to save yourself that trouble. Good luck! It really isn't all that bad.

Mine was at 9:30 only lasted til 11:30 and the test was only 150 questions true/false. I went to Dr. kennel