Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise before the lapband

I am still in the approval phase of getting banded, but can't wait. For those of you who are great motivators, those of you who exercise a lot. Did you exercise much, or at all before having surgery? I currently don't exercise, only what walking I do at work and the occasional walk with the dogs, but I am so excited to get the band and partner it with a steady exercise program to obtain optimal results. I am wondering if I am getting my hopes up, or if it is really possible to make such a drastic change. Thanks for you input, and keep up the great work. You are truly an inspiration to the newbies.

Of course its possible. The thing with exercise is you just have to do it. It really isnt that hard. You put on your shoes and head out the door. Why do people find that so difficult? I have no idea, compared to managing your eating I think exercise is easy. It takes an hour or less at a time and then its over and done with. Hopefully you can love it, but if not, well I hate cleaning the bathroom too but I have to do that as well, I'd view exercise the same way.

I did exercise before surgery but I wasnt as committed as I am now, I walked, didnt push myself that hard and let it go for weeks at a time before starting up again. I've now learned to put myself first and not make excuses and by pushing myself harder and running, I've had rewards I never dreamed I could get from exercise.

But you have to be realistic. I love the gym, but I dont have time for it, which is why I run. YOu have to do things that fit your lifestyle and interests.