Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do you have to stop smoking?

All obvious health risks aside, is it required to quit smoking prior to having the lap band surgery? I will most likely try quitting soon anyway, but just wondering. Maybe it can interfere with the healing process?

My surgeon tells people they must stop smoking at least three months before surgery and hopefully permanently. He says since this is an elective surgery to get healthy he feels a healthy lifestyle is a must and that smokers have a greater chance of complications after having surgery.

Talk to your MD and see if your are a good candidate for the prescription Chantix . I have met people in my chair (I am a dental hygienist) that have been very successful with the Rx. Of course there are side effects that some people cannot tolerate. The best side effect is the lack of desire to smoke! Good luck. SS

All obvious health risks aside, is it required to quit smoking prior to having the lap band surgery? I will most likely try quitting soon anyway, but just wondering. Maybe it can interfere with the healing process?

I cut down smoking from about 1/2 pack a day to 2-3 per day about 2 weeks before surgery. Day before surgery, I threw em out and haven't lit up since. I actually don't even have the urge. My biggest motivator is the risk of this: Deep vein thrombosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We're already overweight and smoked for years, I don't want to increase my risk factors anymore.

I think any doctor will tell you to give up smoking if at all possible and many these days won't do elective surgery if you smoke. I didn't think I could cope with giving up food and cigarettes at the same time, and my doctor allowed me the choice albeit with strong recommendations to give up. He did say that it really makes a difference to how you react to the surgery and to your recovery rates. I ended up doing the nicotine Patches for the 2 weeks of my pre-op diet and for about 2 weeks afterwards.

One totally unexpected bonus of that was that the nicotine Patches really helped to curb my hunger in the pre-op diet (worked better than any appetite suppressant I've ever tried, and I've tried a few!!) I have gone back to smoking after the initial couple of weeks of post-op healing but have discovered that my smoking has virtually halved, without any conscious effort. I had always had trouble distinguishing between true hunger and hanging out for a cigarette in the past, so that whenever I tried to give up, I would compensate by eating more and whenever I tried to diet, I would smoke more. It seems like now, because I don't feel hungry all the time, I don't have the urge to light up as often either. Who woulda thunk it? I'm still smoking about 8 cigs a day, compared to a previous average of 15, but I think that this will gradually decrease to the point that I can give them away altogether, when my headspace gets right for that.

And if you're doing this with the hope of looking better why on earth would you sabotage it by smoking? Sorry to all smokers out there, but you can pick a smoker a mile off by their skin.

And if you're doing this with the hope of looking better why on earth would you sabotage it by smoking? Sorry to all smokers out there, but you can pick a smoker a mile off by their skin.

How so? I smoked for a loonnnggg time and even though I'm 38, I look younger and always have and have always had great skin, not discolored, no lines.

Wow, how not true. I have smoked since I was 15 and no one knows unless I tell them. I take amazing care of my skin, body (well aside from the fat thing), and hair. I look younger then I am, and I don't have "spots" aside from freckles.

Oh come on ladies! You may have been lucky because of course genetics plays a part but everybody knows how bad smoking is for your skin. OK, I"ll rephrase. You can tell *a lot* of smokers by their skin. They often look sallow and dull or get that leathery purple and red complexion and get those telltale vertical lines around their mouths. Smoking decreases the blood supply to your skin and retards collagen production and repair. It also yellows the whites of your eyes (and can destroy your eyesight). Some people are luckier and you cant tell as much. But if you smoke you probably look older than you otherwise would.

I havent got loose skin following my weight loss yet would you use that as the basis to say that weight loss doesnt cause loose skin? It does, I was just lucky.

I just think if you want to lose weight to look better and improve your health, its kind of illogical to then go and maintain other habits that will destroy your health and looks.

Edited by Jachut

I believe that cutting back on smoking does reduce the risk of complications after surgery.. you want you oxygen levels to be as high as they can.. I know it is hard , especially if you have been smoking for years.. but it is a new way of life.. you will need to get out and exercise as well..

Oh come on ladies! You may have been lucky because of course genetics plays a part but everybody knows how bad smoking is for your skin. OK, I"ll rephrase. You can tell *a lot* of smokers by their skin. They often look sallow and dull or get that leathery purple and red complexion and get those telltale vertical lines around their mouths. Smoking decreases the blood supply to your skin and retards collagen production and repair. It also yellows the whites of your eyes (and can destroy your eyesight). Some people are luckier and you cant tell as much. But if you smoke you probably look older than you otherwise would.

I havent got loose skin following my weight loss yet would you use that as the basis to say that weight loss doesnt cause loose skin? It does, I was just lucky.

I just think if you want to lose weight to look better and improve your health, its kind of illogical to then go and maintain other habits that will destroy your health and looks.

That's better! You can't just make a blanket statement like you did and not expect someone to call you on it.

I quit at the same time I started my clear liquid diet for 14 days. After that 2 weeks of hell I don't want to start again if I can help it. I am 1 week post op. Accupuncture helped a little I think, Chantix as well and I am going in for hypnotism in a day or so. Just like the band, we can use all the tools we can get our hands on. I smoked for 25 years, have been fat for ten and would hate to die from blood clots trying to get thin if I could prevent it! You can do it!

My surgeon will not do surgery on you if you don't quit smoking. No exceptions, no excuses. They mention it at seminar and address address it on an individual basis at your first appointment. Glad I'm not a smoker! I'm giving up enough vices already!!

I used to smoke but I recently quit. I started when I was 18 but then I quit when my hubby and I started our family but then military/work stress caused me to take it up again. I just quit yet again so I know I can stay smoke free forever. I did it for 5 yrs so I know I can do it for even longer. Although I must admit it's harder the second time around. I find myself giving myself little pep talks in the car to stop me from going to a gas station to buy a pack. LOL 2 months down, the rest of my life to go!!

My surgeon won't do surgery unless you have quit smoking. I'm not a smoker so this wasn't a problem for me but for a lot of people at the seminar it was. Smoking is ew anyway.