Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your doctor recommend a high protein/low carb diet?

I thought I'd open this up to a wider audience but don't want to redo the poll as it would lose the existing votes. Click the link and record your vote!

Poll: Does your doctor recommend an Atkins-like high protein/low carb diet?

I have noticed that this seems to be a uniquely US phenomena, and one that is not recommended by any Australian doctors (as far as I know at this stage).

My doctor never stressed a high Protein diet either. I mean, we are not gastric bypass, so we do not have malabsorption issues. His only recommendation to me was a few bites of protein first, then a few bites of veggies, then starches and back to the beginning again. He said as long as I follow this and take my daily Multivitamin, I should get in everything I need.

Edited by susan4794

My doctor advises a high Protein diet. No vegetables for two months, fruit after three months. When we can eat all of these things it will be 2 bites protein, 1 bite veggie, 2 bites protein, 1 bite of fruit. If your not already full. Pasta, rice, and bread cannot be added til I lose 75% of excess weight. I may not be able to tolerate it anyway.

In my paperwork it says," protein, protein, protein"...a high protein diet encourages a quicker weight loss in a quicker period of time.

The emphasis in Australia is very much on the balanced diet of lean meats, whole grains, vegetables, fruit and dairy. Recommended daily allowances for a woman who is not overweight are approximately 60-70g Protein, 100-150g carbs. Even our Optifast formula is different to the one marketed in the US and contains less Protein and more carbs. When I was on the pre-op and following the strict Optifast diet (3 shakes a day, 2 cups steamed green vegetables), my carb intake was around double the minimum 30g needed for ketosis.

From WebMD:

Weight Loss: High Protein, Low Carbohydrate Diets

High-protein, low-carbohydrate diets have been widely promoted in recent years as an effective approach to

losing weight. These diets generally recommend dieters receive 30% to 50% of their total calories from protein. By comparison, the American Heart Association, the National Cholesterol Education Program, and the American Cancer Society all recommend a diet in which a smaller percentage of calories are derived from protein (nutrients essential to the building, maintenance, and repair of tissues in the body).

The Atkins diet is an example of a high protein, low carbohydrate diet.

How Do These Diets Work?

By restricting carbohydrates drastically to a mere fraction of that found in the typical American diet, the body goes into a different metabolic state called ketosis, whereby it burns its own fat for fuel. Normally the body burns carbohydrates for fuel -- this is the main source of fuel for your brain, heart and many other organs. A person in ketosis is getting energy from ketones, little carbon fragments that are the fuel created by the breakdown of fat stores. When the body is in ketosis, you tend to feel less hungry, and thus you're likely to eat less than you might otherwise. However, ketosis can also cause health problems, such as kidney failure (see below).

As a result, your body changes from a carbohydrate-burning engine into a fat-burning engine. So instead of relying on the carbohydrate-rich items you might typically consume for energy, and leaving your fat stores just where they were before (alas, the hips, belly, and thighs), your fat stores become a primary energy source. The purported result is weight loss.

What Are the Health Risks Associated With High Protein, Low Carb Diets?

High protein diets can cause a number of health problems, including:

• Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.
  • High cholesterol. It is well known that high protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke and cancer.
  • Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete more Calcium than normal through their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones.
  • Cancer. One of the reasons high protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the Vitamins, minerals, Fiber and anti-oxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.
  • Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low carb diets can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

Yes, ketosis is not seen as a desirable or healthy state to be in here. There's no doubt that lowering carbs is a good move for weight loss but that doesnt mean no carbs or ketosis. Its more of a low GI diet here.

The dietician I went to recommended I eat more Protein and said it would keep me full longer. I have been doing that and, as a result, my fat intake has increased too. Since I have no gallbladder to help break down fat in my diet, that means I get really farty. And that's just the short-term results.

I have to decide if feeling less hungry is worth it and so far I am doubtful. I think I can get to that state just by drinking more Water. I would rather cut down on the refined carbs and simple sugars, but keep my Protein intake the same. I think I'll be healthier overall.

True, I think you really have to weigh up your weight loss versus your overall health.

Higher Protein does tend to lend itself to fast and spectacular weight loss (and the skin that goes with it, lol). But its not necessarily best for your overall health. Higher Protein also means higher fat, and often saturated fat. Its very hard to do high protein low carb without eating in a way that increases your risk of cardiovascular disease. Yes, it can be done, but most people are not doing it that way. There's also risks involved with the high level of soy intake people have with their beloved shakes.

Well no matter what, I am NOT doing shakes. Except for the full liquid stage, of course, when it's shakes or starve. I think they are gross!

Before I changed some of my eating habits, I was getting in an average of 60 g of Protein a day, which is slightly more than recommended for a woman my age, but it was often less than 20% of my calories because I ate so many carbs and often stuff made with white flour and sugar, or worse, high fructose corn Syrup. I figure if I keep my Protein content the same, but cut out the bad carbs and lower my calories, I should be okay. I think I can do that with the band, because I won't be hungry all the time. That's the theory, right? :)

In the meantime, I'm supposed to lose 10% of my body weight in preparation for surgery. It's tempting to do the high protein diet for that since I know it will work and be relatively painless. Decisions. Decisions.

Edited by MacMadame

NO!! My doctor does not recommend high Protein diet. He wants me to eat a balanced diet. I am not a bypass patient, so why follow a bypass diet???? they have much different needs than we do. I was allowed fruit on week four after surgery. I am to eat my protein first, or do the 3 -2-1 process of eating. 3 bites protein, 2 bites veggie, 1 bite starch. For starches he recommends sweet potatoes, brown rice, all kinds of Beans and 100% whole wheat bread and pastas. white rice, noodles and Potatoes in strict moderation. I have settled into about 1/2 cup protein and 1/4 cup of veggies and starch. It seems to work for me and I've lost weight pretty fast. I am forbidden to drink Protein Shakes. That's a no no. He wants me to eat solid food. period. I'm only allowed shakes if I'm sick or after a fill. I'm not allowed carbonation or popcorn. Those were his rules. Not many. I didn't have to do a pre-op diet marathon either. Low fat, low calorie for one week, and liquids two days before surgery. He is BIG on nutrition and balanced diet. When I go in, he checks my skin. He said he can tell a lot from the condition of the skin and I have to admit. Mine has definately improved. My complexion is more even and not blotchy or red anymore.

My son, who is a diabetic educator, has tried in his best gentle manner to get me to eat a balanced diet.

I do. It's fine.

My MD does stress solid Protein and low carb but not NO carbs.

I am a medical researcher. I've read almost every piece of research on low carb diets. So far--there is no evidence that low carb diets are bad. In fact, the latest stream of research is full of surprising results that demonstrate that low carb dieters lose weight faster, end up with lower cholesterol, lower blood sugar, lower blood pressure, improved triglycerides, improved arthritis symptoms etc. There is, however, some evidence that too low of a carb count may bring on gout attacks.

I have tried to follow a low carb diet for several years (and I also tried many other diets before banding as well). I lose weight but would always go back to bad eating habits and regain. That's why I got the band. Diet just wasn't enough for me. About 2 years ago --- I needed to see a neuro-endocrinological surgeon. He is very well known in his field and teaches at Harvard. I sheepishly told him that I was trying to do low carb because I found it worked best for me. I was afraid to tell him because I thought he might yell at me. I was quite surprised when he said "GOOD!!" That is EXACTLY what you SHOULD be doing! He continued to encourage me to follow low carb. He told me that I was insulin resistant and that low carb was the very best diet I could possibly follow. He said that it is a matter of genetics and I just happen to have the genes that lead to insulin resistance.

As I read more and more research on this topic -- I began to understand why he was so encouraging of low carb. Most carbs we eat come from processed foods (sugar, Pasta, bread, Cookies, and newly engineered vegetable such as today's version of corn). Our genes have not changed in 80,000 years and this type of food is not proper fuel for the human body. Many natural vegetables have carbs but they tend to be far lower in carbs than processed foods and are packed with important nutrients. Those are good carbs. Those foods contain complex carbs as opposed to simple carbs (sugar, bread, Pasta etc) which are absorbed at much slower rates in the body and that does not cause our blood sugar to skyrocket.

There's not really any proof that low carb diets (like Atkins) are good either though, is there? There's plenty of stuff around, but not a lot of proof.

I agree though that the key is understanding what low carb is. Absence of processed carb foods will never harm anyone - although the roughage found in foods like bran can be useful.

What people miss though is that sure, eating a slice on bread on its own will send your blood sugar sky high, as its a low GI food. But combining it with good fats and Proteins moderates the GI of the meal and controls blood sugar.

They've had so much success with a low GI (rather than low carb diet). You simply get the carbs more from certain fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds rather than white flour.

Actually there is quite a significant body of research that does indeed demonstrate the health benefits of low carb. Anyone can just go to Pub Med on the internet -- a government site that contains research abstracts from thousands of major medical and health care journals -- and to read the abstracts. Just enter the terms "low carbohydrates" and whatever else you want (i.e. "health," "blood pressure," "cholesterol," "weight loss," "heart"). Most recently some studies are finding a relationship between lower rates of prostate cancer and low carbs. There are studies going on now to determine if it's also true for other types of cancer.

The thing about science is that research can never prove something is true. Science can only prove that something is not true. It takes a lot of research over a long period to actually build a theory. There is also, unfortunately a political problem with research. Those with political influence to push their own agenda do tend to get the biggest share of research money. The best way to think about any research is to do an awful lot of reading about the different results and then watch for trends in the studies. That's how I decided to do the lap band versus getting a bypass. I just read it all and then weighed it out. We don't know any more about low fat or low carb than we do about bypass and lap band. We just have to do our reading, think about our own experience and then try to make the best decision for ourselves.

yes, that's true - the best we can do is make a (hopefully) informed decision. I find that most of the information I've found debunking low carb has been from more credible sources than the information supporting low carb. And until I can see something that convinces me of something otherwise I think I'll err on the side of moderation.

The other thing that puts me off is that everyone I've ever known personally who's done Atkins and lost a lot of weight developed a characteristic scrawny look with lots of loose skin - which I cant explain, its just a certain "look" And then promptly stacked it all back on again

I'm not an adovocate of high carb either, by the way. I just think moderation is the safest route until there IS proof one way or another. I guess its lucky that I'm over here, and our medical profession tends to take the same view.

Either way, Australians by and large perform statistically well with lap bands so it cant be the be all and end all of weight loss for everyone, can it?