Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Burning in throat

I have a 4cc band. I have had 3 fills. 1cc in October, .5cc in January, and .5cc 10 days ago. With this last fill I had the burning in my throat within a couple of hours after leaving the doctor's office. I have been taking prilosec twice daily. I have some restriction but I can still eat a decent amount. I did not have the burning until after this fill. My question - Will the burning leave soon or is it something I will have to deal with or could I be too tight? I hate to give up some of the restriction because I feel like I am at the right spot for now. I was at a stand still at losing weight and I hate to give that up. Thanks for any suggestions.:tt1:

If you cannot get a good amount of hard protien down (chicken, beef, tofu, etc) you may be too tight. I was having problems with acid reflux and I was too tight. My doc also told me that acid reflux for some banders is a side effect that they have to deal with long term. It is even on the Lap Band commercial that it is a side effect. Hopefully it isn't perminant. You should talk to your band doctor about it, they can put you on a regimine of antacid meds that might help. My band doc told me to double the recommended dose of prilosec otc because it is only half perscription strength, but it is only recommended for 14days. If it becomes such a problem that you are waking up at night to throw up acid, deffinately talk to your doctor. You might want to examine the foods that you are eating too. Please don't try to medicate yourself without advice from your doctor. I mean it is probably really hard to overdose on antacid meds, but when you are in pain (or when I was) you tend to over treat trying to get rid of it fast!

If you cannot get a good amount of hard protien down (chicken, beef, tofu, etc) you may be too tight. I was having problems with acid reflux and I was too tight. My doc also told me that acid reflux for some banders is a side effect that they have to deal with long term. It is even on the Lap Band commercial that it is a side effect. Hopefully it isn't perminant. You should talk to your band doctor about it, they can put you on a regimine of antacid meds that might help. My band doc told me to double the recommended dose of prilosec otc because it is only half perscription strength, but it is only recommended for 14days. If it becomes such a problem that you are waking up at night to throw up acid, deffinately talk to your doctor. You might want to examine the foods that you are eating too. Please don't try to medicate yourself without advice from your doctor. I mean it is probably really hard to overdose on antacid meds, but when you are in pain (or when I was) you tend to over treat trying to get rid of it fast!

Thanks for the response. I was on prescription prilosec before the surgery. 2 a day. After surgery I was able to reduce to once daily so that is why I put it back to twice daily. I thought "maybe" if I lost a few pounds the band would losen on its own w/o having to get unfilled. I am not eating differently than I did before the fill. But, with the burning, I cannot drink my Decaf coffee and a few other things at all. I went to the office last week and the doctor said if I was keeping food down it should be ok but if it contined to come back in. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if it went away on its own of if they had to get unfilled. Looks like I will be going back in next week!!

I used to get heartburn a few times a week before I was banded, and it has stopped completely. My surgeon actually told me the surgery would help and it did. I am not disagreeing with the possibility of heartburn as a side effect, but it can go the other way as well. Hopefully it is fill related and will pass. Good luck!!

I tend to get bad heartburn, especially in the morning if i take my Vitamins without enough food, but today had the tiny tiny chilli sauce, never again,but took antacid tablet and went away in minutes,will always keep in my bag now.

coffee has alot of acid in it and cause the heartburn for some. Maybe if you drink it daily it is just now giving you heartburn due to your newly tightened band. Like I said, if you start having to throw up acid or it wakes you up at night and you have to throw it up, go immediately and get an unfill, you could risk slippage if you ignore it. That is what happened to me. Fortunatly, I caught it in time and was able to get a complete unfill to correct the problem. Try taking (along with your prilosec) a zantac 30mins before you drink your coffee or eat anything with alot of acid in it. My doc said it was ok to take in combination, just not past 14days. Keep in mind to that if you go to get an unfill before you get too bad off, it might just take a slight unfill, like 0.1cc. Believe it or not that can really make a difference. Personally, I'd say, if you have ins. , go in and get 0.1cc taken out at a time till it goes away. If that is possible for you. For me, I am a self pay, so I try to make ever cc count and try to tolerate any discomfort. Its just this time, It was too tight for my own band's good!!