Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting stuck versus PBing

I'm going to ask my doctor this question on my next visit, but some of you may have already asked yours or may have an opinion, so I'm interested in the responses:

When you get stuck, do you think it is better to suffer the pain until it goes through or to PB it up to get unstuck quickly?

I rarely get stuck and each time it has happened, I know it has been my own fault for not not paying attention and failing to chew enough. On the rare occasions when it does happen, it HURTS and I have to admit that I have gone straight to the loo and put 2 fingers down my throat to force a little retch to bring it up again. For me, it only takes a quick heave, which feels almost like a really strong belch and is nothing like really vomiting, then the pain is gone and I feel fine again.

I have heard of other people getting stuck and enduring that pain for hours on end, waiting for the food to go through, and it seems to me that letting the food remain stuck for so long with all that pain would cause far greater swelling and irritation to your stomach and the band, than a quick little "erk" moment. I would feel different about it if I was vomiting and retching multiple times, I'm sure, but it's not like that. I know that my doc is dead set against extended vomiting and has given me nausea tablets to take if I ever get that way, but I'm not sure how he feels about this - I will ask him.

Your thoughts?

PS: Also, please note that I DIDN'T do this in the healing period after the operation. This is something that has only happened a couple of times since my last fill.

Guilty! I hate being stuck and I ALWAYS go to the can and make it all come back up again. It's so easy, I just bend over and let gravity take over, no retching or anything. BUT, this is not healthy and I know that we should go on liquids for a bit after an episode.

I don't often get stuck but when I do I drink apple juice and it helps it go down. Sometimes it hurts but once it goes through I feel fine. I must say I've never spoken to my dr about this... I got the hint from reading posts on LBT. I will mention this when I go for my next fill. I have also put my fingers down my throat a couple of times when I have been full of gas and felt really uncomfortable. I don't throw up, it just allows me to burp it out. Who knows if we're doing any damage but I'd rather do that than sit with it for hours on end.

I'm guilty. I drink a huge mouthful of Water when I'm near a place where I can get sick and intentionally make myself throw it back up. It comes right up without any effort, though I can't help but think I'm becoming bulimic voluntarily by doing so. I'm curious to hear what your doctor says. I'm headed in for a support group meeting on Monday night and will try to remember to ask the nutritionist. If I forget, will ask my doctor on Tuesday. I'm anxious to compare notes from different doctors.....

Same here-two fingers down the throat and whamoo-up it comes. Usually once I get stuck I know the next step needs to be done. I do not usually wait for it to go down for fear of upchucking in inappropriate places. I told my friends I have upchucked in more places and more times than through two pregnancies. It is just strange that my doctor said I would know I am stuck after the first bite, but this has not happened and it usually occurs after I have made an oink oink out of myself.

Be well all.

Fran

I won't suffer through the pain, I bring it back up and because there's no heaving involved I think it's ok (my opinion anyhow).

Im so glad Im not the only one!! I also get rid of it as soon as I can.

i would like to know what your doc says also.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding regarding stuck vs. PB

I have only been "stuck" once--on a !$)#@! cherry Tomato skin. It feels like childbirth, cramping spasms in the stomach, and no way is anything coming up OR going down until it finally passes thru the stoma. No way you're going to want to eat normally afterwards, either.

A PB is pretty tame by comparison. Tight pressure/pain at the base of the esophagus from the muscles trying to push food down into the pouch when there's no more room. You can choose to wait it out until the pouch clears (painful), or bring it up. What comes up doesn't have any stomach acid mixed in because it never made it into the stomach to begin with. I can PB from eating too fast or swallowing too big a bite, wait a bit, and still feel like finishing my meal.

Sliming is sort of gargling with an egg white.:biggrin::drool::)

I asked the nurse practitioner about this today - he said PB'ing isn't going to do any damage but you shouldn't be doing it often. If you do it too much you are too tight and that can cause problems with the band down the road - that is where issues with slipping occur, with bands that are too tight. The main thing with PB'ing is that when you do it you aren't able to eat 'real' food and will tend to go for softer stuff and liquids. Don't get into that trap. If you can't eat dense foods without PB'ing, you might need an unfill.

I dont have a choice, if it gets stuck and doesnt want to come up, I cant make it. I have no ability to vomit at will, never have been able to. In fact I can go out for dinner, everyone at the table can be dying of food poisoning and it will all stay in my cast Iron gullet.

So if I'm *lucky* enough to PB quickly and be rid of a blockage, I'm very thankful. Usually it doesnt happen and I have to endure it. Putting my fingers down my throat makes me gag but not throw up, although I should try the Water. It might look a bit odd to go to the toilet in a restaurant holding a glass of Water though!

Edited by Jachut

Jacqui,

I just had the funniest visual of you running to the restroom with a glass of water!!! If I'm truly stuck, Water won't go by the food--it just flushes out whatever is stuck. But, as someone mentioned earlier, I'm not PB'ing, I'm simply stuck. I'm not heaving vomiting and the food hasn't gone through enough to even mix with gastric acids.

I will see my surgeon again today for a fill (maybe...) and will let you know what he says about the "flushing" I do.... :)

By the way.... I could never vomit before I was banded either. I went through 3 pregnancies and labor and never once vomited. I don't have a good gag reflex or something and no matter how sick I felt I'd talk myself down and refuse to vomit because I hated it so much. BUT- PB'ing is NOT the same as vomiting. The food doesn't mix with stomach acid yet - it comes up in exactly the same condition as you swallowed it - basically mush. There is none of that awful retching, gut heaving stuff as with vomiting. It is pretty neat and tidy and comes from above the band - just an 'urp' and a splash! Yuk, kind of graphic, I know... sorry. It does hurt, though, until the food comes out. It is like having a baby - as soon as the food is out the pain goes away. The bottom line is you shouldn't be doing this very often. Use it as a warning that you might be too tight and that you need to chew really well!