Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just recieved approval from insurance after a long battle. Now reality is sinking in and getting nervous. I know I'm doing this for all the right reasons but the biggest thing for me is the drastic change in life style. I have fears of success and what life will be when it is done. Hard to explain maybe someone else is going or has gone through this roller coaster of emotions. Any advice?

I just recieved approval from insurance after a long battle. Now reality is sinking in and getting nervous. I know I'm doing this for all the right reasons but the biggest thing for me is the drastic change in life style. I have fears of success and what life will be when it is done. Hard to explain maybe someone else is going or has gone through this roller coaster of emotions. Any advice?

Hello Dosnyc:

It's only natural to fear "the unknown". I know how it feels to

have to wait for approval. I had to wait for 8 mos. before all

my paperwork went through. You know the saying, "It was worth

the wait"? I began my journey in the Spring of 07!

Trying to lose weight for those months prior to my doctor suggested

the lap band procedure.

I was scheduled for my surgery on Feb. 26th 08.

Since then I have lost 41 lbs.! It is amazing to see the results

in the mirror. Looking forward to buying new clothes soon.

Have no regrets! Your better health should be your first priority.

I had type II diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea, and high blood

pressure. Since my surgery I am only on half my diabetic meds.

Also on 1/3 of my high blood pressure meds. I feel sooo much

better!

Know that a better you will be the results of using

self-control on your journey!

I leave you with this quote:

"Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power".

-Seneca

I think that is natural. I just think about the things that I have not been doing because I was just too big or uncomfortable. That makes me so mad to be missing out on life. The lifestyle change was a worry too. I had my surgery 4-3. I havn't had a fill yet, but have already lost around 30 lbs. The difference is 2 pants sizes. People who see me and do not know what I have done keep looking at me and saying "you look great" or "you are so pretty". It feels great! I think most people have reservations about the future, but the future is now something for you to look forward to even more! Good Luck!

Hi and welcome to LBT!

Your fear is natural. I think at some point in the process we all fear something. Your fear is not of being healthy and living a longer life; your fear is of the unknown. You don't know the person you will be when you lose the weight and that is scary to those of us who use our big bodies to shield us from people and their cruelty. Once you lose the weight, you won't have to "hide" from people and their hurtful ways. You will have the confidence to stand up for yourself and not be ashamed of all the things you couldn't do as a fat person. Your life will improve in ways you never imagined. The only thing life can be is better because YOU will be better. Get healthy, grab life by the horns and just run with it!

I wish you much luck and success.

Thanks you were most helpful. I suffer with the same health issues except diabetes but on the edge of that too. I realize the good things that will come out of this. I guess living this life for so long and trying so many diets that my biggest fear is failure. Not sure if that is normal emotions but this is the one time I hope I can succeed in. Crazy after all the waiting that now I question my confidence.

A lot of us also carry that fear of failure into surgery with us. By the time we reach the point of considering surgery, we have failed so many times that we can't believe this may actually work! Look at the threads about getting rid of clothes. There are a lot of people here who have piles of clothes in various decreasing sizes just piling up because they are afraid of failure. I have only lost 10 pounds because I am pre-op, but can already tell I will be one of those people. Just know that everything you are feeling is natural and you can always find someone on here who is going through the same things.