Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Factor V Leden / Thrombophillia

Hi All....

i am in the very early stages of getting a lapband.. I have my first consultation on 29th May with the surgeon to see if I am a suitable candidate for the surgery.

I know that I have tried every other option & that my BMI should not be a problem, my mental state is fine too... but I am concerned about a blood condition I have.

I have got Factor V Leden which basically means that my blood is a little bit more prone to clotts than normal blood. Myself & my sister have it becasue my dad is a carrier of the gene.

I have never had a clott & don't have to take any medication but was just informed if I ever got pregnant or had surgery I may need some blood thining drugs as a precaution.

My sister has had 2 clotts - one in her leg & one in her lung. Fortunately they were dissolved etc & she is fine and not had any since losing 3 stone in weight.

So after that long story.. my question is has anyone else got this & has had the lap band?? Do you think it will rule me out of the surgery?

I'd appreciate any thoughts - thanks

(this is my first post too but what a great forum!)

:biggrin2::confused2::biggrin2:

I can't tell you about the lap band, but my sister has this and she was able to get a Tummy Tuck done about a year ago. She was just on some kind of meds to keep her blood from clotting, and they had her up and moving around a LOT right after surgery.

Hope this helps!!!

I have the same condition and I had a lap band placed on March 25. I was on Lovenox for 6 weeks following the surgery and as a precaution they placed an IVC filter in mhy femoral artery. I developed four clots during pregnancy (with triplets) following IVF. I was concerned about the strong family history and the previous clots, but they can work around it. My Dr. did keep me overnight following the surgery as a precaution.

I have Protein S deficiency which is also a blood clotting disorder. When pregnant I was on shots of heparin or lovenox. When I have surgery I get a shot of heparin 2 hours before surgery, stay overnight and have pressure things on my legs and I am on heparin or lovenox for a few weeks after surgery. I have not had a clot. Feel free to send me a message if you need to know more. My surgeon had me get my hematologist send him a letter to ok me for the surgery. If you dont have a hematologist yet I would recommend you get one.

Good luck.

Hi Sallieanne

I have had a previous pulmonary embolism so before the surgery I had to see the haematologist and he gave advice on the pre and post op requirements and my surgoen followed these. I was on injections for a few weeks after surgery. All the best.

Hi All

I just wanted to update the thread following my consultation & discussion with the surgeon regarding this condition.

He explained that in fact there is no evidence to prove that if you have thrombophilia that you are at any higher risk than anyone else during this procedure. There are two types of Factor V Leiden & if it is thrombophilia then the surgery is fine.. (not sure about the other type but it means you bleed lots & that is a problem).

He said I would have a shot of heparin prior to and after the operation & then it should be business as normal! Yippee!