Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie / Post-Op/ on Protein mix-advice?

Yes People...you know where I'm coming from.. putting that nasty Protein mix in your broth, in your non fat sugar free yoguart, in anything you can drink or spoon down...so the doctor and nutritionists tells you,

you have to do, to heal well and maintain muscle, as well as so the hair on your head won't fall out for lack of protein...

The fact is since my banding on 4/29 till today, I've lost 17 lbs. that's pretty darn good. however ,the protein mix, and non fat milk.. all the milk products,.. they make me so bloated and gassy.. and nauseated... I'm struggling right now.... and chewing down anti gas tabs on somedays when its really bad.

I'm on a brand of protein mix called Unjury (contains 28 grams per scoop).. nasty stuff, but the protein supplements they all taste pretty nasty to me..

I finally went to Jamba juice and got one of their lite drinks made with splenda(150 cal for a 16 oz) and I mixed the Protein powder with it, and managed to gag it down.

Any hints out their to make them taste better?

What to do about that bloating and gas?

I'm on liquids.

Goodness, I thought my little stomach would expload today! Until after I burped a few times and went for a long walk. Now its feeling a bit better.

Just like a little baby!!! ha

Many people say that they can't drink milk after being banded. You might be one of them and may have to try soy milk or milk for those who are lactose intolerant.

connie - I feel your pain and i think i was one of those people that just could not stomach any more Protein Shakes. Even with the soy milk, i felt bloated and ready to explode. It has been three days since i have not had a Protein Shake. and the gas is going away Quickly.. i have no clue how i am going to get this Protein in my body , but it wont be with the use of milk!

I'm lactose intolerate. My nutritionist put me on the nectar products. They are lactose free. I'm currently using the Roadside Lemonade powder (1 scoop) with lemonade crystal light ( 4-6 oz) and add lemon juice. I'm able to get it down without gagging and haven't had any problems with gas. Nectar is a bit more expensive than the whey Protein products. It can be found online or at the Vitamin Shoppes.

My doc's office recommended the Any Whey Protein Powder which is non-flavored. I have used it with some of my things and really don't mind it. Was banded yesterday!! I too will be glad when I don't have to the Protein shakes...pre-op diet about did me in on those!! Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your advice. One of the things I searched for on this site was about what to do about those proteine shakes.. I am glad there may be some alternatives for me. The SlimFast ones (low carb) come in at 150 cal, w/ 20 grams of Protein and seem to be somewhat tolerable, but they have to be sipped very slowly or else you could get sick though.. but still its milk..

I have discovered one thing that helps with that gassy bloated feeling and that is my gradmother's old receipe for colicky stomach's, which is simply a handful of fresh spearment in two cups of Water, boil it for 1 minute and then simmer for about 15 minutes, and drink with a bit of splenda or honey.. it worked.!! got rid of the gas...

Thanks for the great tip of using spearment to get rid of gas, I am pre-op but I get bad gas pains every so often.

I would like to try your family recipe. Where can I find spearment? :)