Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey fellas. I have been reading on here for the last couple of weeks. I try to check this site a couple times a week, I find it pretty helpful.

My story: I am a married 26 year old. I work for one of the local colleges and I am a full-time student.

I have always been overweight, but never thought it was a problem. I always laughed it off. Early last year I decided I would have to do soemthing about it, when I couldnt get a job, because of my health issues. I hadnt weighed in more an 4 years and was afraid to do it now. My dad had the GB a couple years ago and lost 150lbs. I decided to go see a Dr about it. I went to the class and made an appointment. My wife and I went only to find out I needed to lose 92 pounds beofre they could do the surgery.

I started the Atkins diet since it is the only thing that had ever worked. Within 6 months, by last August I had lost 120 pounds. After that I stayed the same until the hoildays. I gained back nearly 30 pounds over the last 6 months, so I am once again looking to do something. I was one of the guys who says I can do it myself, but i can slowly coming to grips with the fact I might not be able to.

My wife and I are thinking about starting a family and I want to enjoy their childhood. I held that against my own dad for a long time. Anyway, I feel like this keyboard is some kind of therapy. I also have a lot of vain reasons. I guess just like everybody else.

Anyway, I am happy to be here and to get to know all of you. I have another class scheduled for next Tuesday. We will see how it goes.

I do understand were your coming from. I am 46 and have always been fighting to lose the weight and keep it off. Back in 2005, myself and my wife went for a whole year, a weight management class. I lost 100 pounds. Long story short. It's 2008, and I put 3/4 of it back on. Truth is, I'll never will keep it off with out help. I'm scheduled for my band, May 28th. I'm ready. With that band in me, it will be my own little policeman, keeping me in check. I believe my doctor, that obese is a disease. I do have teenagers and I have missed going to like Disney World and things, because there is no way, I'm going to fit in those rides, and for all that walking, my feet would be killing me. Plus my father died at 54, from a heart attack and I do not want to follow that path. So I commend you for doing what you have to do. :smile:

you sound like you got a grip on things. good luck bro. check in with us from time to time to update.

peace.

PRCowboy:

Welcome to the band.....keep up with the program and you will greatly benefit from the surgery if you decide to go through with the surgery.

Many of us share similar experiences with the losing and gaining back. I think that is probably why many of us have chosen the band to help us along the way. It is a great tool that can really help.

Thanks for the responses. I went to the LB class on Tuesday and my first appointment is tomorrow morning. They tell that with self pay the entire process could take 3 to 4 weeks.

I couldnt find the answer to this question, so I will ask. What is slime? Also, I am a big Water drinker, who long did it take to get past sipping Water. My doc said I can have water up to 30 mnutes before a meal, but the standard 2 hours after is off limits.

Anyway, I was also looking at the bodybugg on another thread. Have any guys used this, what did you think, etc? Thanks in advance. I will try to post soemthime this weekend to report how the consult went.

a lot of "discussion" can be found on this regarding drinking before/after eating. Ranges from literally no restriction to as much as you noted above. Personally, I will drink about 15 minutes before eating and try to wait 45 minutes to an hour after. I had an insatiable thirst - I drank a lot of Water as well and thought I would have a problem with this. But really, it is not bad. Outside of eating, I drink freely (especially at the gym) without any problems/restrictions but I do notice I drink less for whatever reason and sometimes have to remind myself to drink Water.

I think the sliming you are refering to is "PBing" or Productive Burbing. Its not throwing up, but rather something that happens when you eat too much, too quickly or certain foods. Its the restriction of the band at work. When food cant get through, it slimes its way back up !

Never heard of bodybugg....

Good luck with everything.

hey guys was researching bands realize vs lapband, my doc uses both,so i'm all pumped up on this realize band cause they say there is less food tolerence,,so i'm thinking cool that sounds good,,so low and behold i had another consult at the office and asked when do i pick what band i want cause thats what it says in the paperwork right,,and they come back with your a guy,,the realize band is basically for women cause of the anatomy,,so us guys don't get a choice,,,lol wow i said all that research for nuttin lol,,doc said men just do way better with the inamed...you guys ever here of that..doc is dr curry from cincinnati...read enough stuff about him on this site that say hes the best in my area ,,so i guess i'll have to trust him, on this one..

hey guys was researching bands realize vs lapband, my doc uses both,so i'm all pumped up on this realize band cause they say there is less food tolerence,,so i'm thinking cool that sounds good,,so low and behold i had another consult at the office and asked when do i pick what band i want cause thats what it says in the paperwork right,,and they come back with your a guy,,the realize band is basically for women cause of the anatomy,,so us guys don't get a choice,,,lol wow i said all that research for nuttin lol,,doc said men just do way better with the inamed...you guys ever here of that..doc is dr curry from cincinnati...read enough stuff about him on this site that say hes the best in my area ,,so i guess i'll have to trust him, on this one..

Hey Big T - I had the realize band on March 1st. There is no gender differences between the bands. The technology is the same. The biggest difference currently is the on-line support available from Johnson and Johnson pre and post surgery. I have held both products in my hands. They are basically the same except the realize band port is attached to the body with hooks vs being stitched. Also, the realize band has a larger port surface making it easier to find for future fills. I am shocked that a doc would imply the difference in bands is based on gender. I have lost 45 lbs since March 1st... so if that makes me a woman - so be it!!! Let me know if you want to talk more about it. I am loving it!!!