Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A feeling of Fullness

Haven't been banded yet but would like to know what the feeling is when you are full is it a feeling of fullness or do you feel a tightness or a pain I have never felt a fullness feeling and am worried I will overeat and PB or worse please let me know

Hey Flower, man this question is more difficult than you realize, at least for me to answer! The fullness is ... satisfaction perhaps? I'm new at this feeling full thing myself.

The first few times after eating mush I realized that I was full after it was too late. I learned that I have to stop eating before I feel full. It was uncomfortable, but not painful in anyway.

Okay.... (imaginative exercise #1)

Close your eyes.... think about last Thanksgiving... the turkey, the stuffing, the cranberries, the pies, the egg nog, the corn, the Beans, the bread and cornbread, the after dinner wine and then... squeeze in that last piece of pumpkin pie. How do you feel? Like you need a dolly to get you to the couch? As if you could just fall off the chair and roll to the living room couch?

Okay... (imaginative exercise #2)

Now close your eyes again... eat a couple ritz crackers, 4 oz of yogurt, and a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese.... now picture how you felt on the Thanksgiving exercise above and VIOLA! You have "fullness" feeling. Not painful really, just FULL.

This is just how I feel after eating and I am less than one month banded.

I think it is actually quite tiring how "full" you feel like your stuffed EVERY meal. I need to work on finding that happy medium but it "sneaks" up on you and all of a sudden you will say after very little food, "MAN, I AM STUFFED" and push the plate aside not even imagining of taking another bite. That's when people look at you like your nuts and get wide-eyed.

I'm with Jenna. I used to be able to eat a 12-ounce steak, salad, baked potato, bread, and a huge slab of chocolate cake, and still not feel full. Not any more. A cup (not even a bowl) of chili did the trick for me today. If I'd kept eating, I would have felt uncomfortable . . . you know, like having that fourth slice of pumpkin pie. As for PBs, while they're certainly no fun, I wouldn't worry about them. Unfortunately it's something you'll probably experience at least once, but it's usually over in seconds. Think of it as an initiation into a select club.

For me, I have never experienced that " Thanksgiving full" unbutton your pants you want to puke feeling since being banded. I have yet to feel really full, I just feel satisfied, I have distinguished in my head that now Iam eating to live, not living to eat. I do not eat to the point of being uncomfortable any longer, the band lets you know when it is time to stop, I have a full ( not uncomfortable full) signal in the form of an ice cream headache, others get the hiccups or pain in their shoulder or their nose runs. We all have different signals, it is just figuiring it out that takes some time. I have never PBed becasue I ate too much, I have only PBed because I did not chew enough or took too big of a bite or ate the wrong thing like doughy bread.< /p>

I've been banded for four months now and I don't think I've been full yet, instead I start to pb, then I know I'm full. Usually, I try to stop eating, just because I figure I've had enough, but if I don't stop soon enough, it will come back...then it's stand back.

I often wonder if I'm just use to the prebad and waiting to feel like I'm going to be miserable and feel like I'm going to burst, hummmmm.

Well, Ive only had the band for a bit over a week..but Honestly, I dont feel anything but a feeling of being satisfied..which for some reason is enough to stop me from eating anymore, when it didnt before. I have gotten full once..and even then it wasnt painful..it just told me when. You learn you need to take small bites..and listen to your band. I can eat about 1/15th of what I could before and feel satisfied.

If your worried about overeating, remember take it slow and watch the signs. Its different for everyone. My partner feels a tightness near her sternum. I dont..

Anyway, keep in touch and let us know how it goes. =)

-Kendra

I finally got good restriction and it's not pain I feel but a fullness or even a heaviness in my throat. If I am conscientious I can feel it before any PB will come on. Before I had good restriction, I would eat often until the point of pain because I guess the satisfied feeling was so much more subtle.