Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded June 23!

Hello everyone. I am new to lapband talk. I am so happy to see an enormous amount of support with "banders":cool2: . I have not had my pre-op teaching day yet. It is scheduled 2 weeks before my band date.

Hello Maria

Welcome. We have the same surgery date! Are you going to add your name to the list of people being banded in June? Something started by Cathy chats. We can all support each other. :lol:

That is awesome that we have the same date. Have you done your pre-op testing and "day with the dietician" yet? ANy words of advice? I am trying not to drink with my meal right now. A dietician I saw said to work on one habit at a time (ie not drinking during the meal). Then I can work on not drinking after my meal. It is a bit hard to do and honestly, I haven't been very good at it.

Hi Maria

I have jumped through all the hoops now, except the last pre-op tests which won't be until the last few weeks before surgery. I was with the nutrtionist for a short while before I knew we were not on the same page. She seemed to have some issues with fat people. So I said what I knew she wanted to hear and turned to other sources for my nutritional education. This site is an awsome source of information. I haven't tried eating w/o drinking during my meals; I am using all my will power to stay on my current eating program. I have a fatty liver and if I don't drop a significant amount of weight (to shrink my liver) I may have to have the full open surgery instead of laproscopic. My advice? Do what the experts advise you and don't listen to what people say works for them if it is contrary to what your doctor advises. I will enjoy sharing this adventure with you!

Hi Debbie.

How did you find out you had a fatty liver? I am wondering if I do too.:confused2:

I really need to come up with a game plan of "good" meal plans. I have a husband (who I hope will someday have the lapband too) and two small kids, so I think this will be challenging. The "good" meals take time and planning. I ordered some books online that have recipes. They are written by people who have had the gastric bypass, but I heard the secret to losing weight with the lapband is to eat as if you had had the gastric bypass. Have a good day. Maria :biggrin2: ( I love these little faces)

Hi Maria

I had tests a few years back which found I had the fatty liver. I'm sure when you get your pre-surgery tests it would show up. You probably don't have anything to worry about though, at your age. Those cookbooks you mentioned would probably work great. Lap banders are told to focus first on Protein, then on vegies when eating, as good nutrition is very important on such small portions as we will be eating. Bad things can happen such as Hair loss, and even in extreme cases, death. My surgeon has done over 400 lap band procedures and only lost one patient, and that was due to mal-nutrition. So, it is very important we don't waste valuable "pouch" (name for our new little stomach's) space eating junk foods which have little or no nutritional value. Boy! Just listen to me! I am way too bossy, huh!? I'm talking to you like you are my daughter! :smile2: I know you will do great with your band because you are focusing on proper nutrition. You have a good day too!

Hi Debbie. I was on Amazon and I ordered some books that they have specifically for lap band patients. Just a few months ago, there was nothing specific to lapband. I am so excited. :leaving: I really need to get on this website more often to check out all the cool information for us- especially the nutrition part. Talk to you soon. Hope everything is going well! Maria

Congrats on getting a date. I laugh since I am also "Maria - mom of 2" so I love your screen name! : )

I had tests done years ago from my gastroenterologist that said I had a fatty liver, but none of that showed up in my pre-op tests. It was done at least 4 years ago, but I am still the same weight (a little more, probably). Could it have fixed itself over time?

Hi Maria (Gardengrl). - so many Marias, I will get confused :biggrin2:That is a good question, about the fatty liver. I know you said your weightis the same, but have you changed your diet over the last couple of years? That is the only thing I can think of... Good Luck!

Maria (MariaMomof3)

Not really any change in diet. I did have gest. diabetes when I was pregnant with my twins and was SO careful with what I ate. Maybe that changed it and it hasn't gone back. They are almost 2 so who knows?! Gotta love my skinny husband (who I PRAY my children take after metabolism-wise) - his question has been "So, when are we going to Golden Corral?" Funny since I haven't been there in at least 4 years. It's going to be hard with someone else who always has food on his mind but not on his body. : )

That is so funny bc I am going to have to be careful with my hubby too. Let's just say we have "grown" together over the last 10 years:biggrin2:He is doing awesome with exercising everyday and watching his portions, but every now and then, he'll want to go to Chung Dao (Chinese version of Golden Corral). So I have to work on saying NO. But hey, maybe, if your pre op diet allows, you should have one last "hurrah" at GC!

Hello to all U Jazzy Junes!

Hope everyone is doing well as we prepare for our upcoming transformations.:rolleyes:

Now you two Maria's, (Mariamomof2 & Maria-mom of 2 :lol:) About the fatty liver, it is definitely reversed by lowering your fat intake and losing weight, but gardengrl, I would make sure to mention it to my surgeon. I am still laughing about gardengrl's remark about her husband having food on his brain, but not on his body.:tongue: Our group is getting sooo Big! We will have such great support from each other!