Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello to everyone. This is my first time and I have many questions. First of all, I am a 47 year old female with degenerative disk disease, Fibromyalgia and Adult Respitory Disease. I no longer work due to my disabilities, but I was a Sales Manager for a software developer before I had to give it up. I used to travel a lot and of course, eat out a lot. However, once I stopped working and endured a series of back surgeries, I was very inactive, and that was what really put me over the top. I am allowed to walk for exercise only, and I have to use a cane or walker depending on the terrain. I have passed all my medical tests to qualify for the surgery and have to meet with the dietician in two weeks. After that, I need to wait for the insurance approval and my lapband surgery will be scheduled.

I have been to some post-op support meetings to get a better handle on how living with the Lapband will be once the surgery has healed. I am very interested in finding out what those of you who have been successful with the Lapband eat on a daily basis. Are there any particular foods that you can never eat again? I know many people still drink coffee after being banded, has anyone found this to be a problem? I drink three cups of coffee at the most in the mornings, then I switch to Diet Coke with Lime. I do drink Water too. But coffee with french vanilla Creamer and diet coke with lime are my staples. I wouldn't have a problem drinking the diet coke flat. I guess right now, the drinks are my biggest hindrance. Does anyone have any input that would be helpful for a new person on the forum? Thanks!:thumbup:

My surgery isn't until the end of this month, but they made me give up all caffeine and carbonated drinks weeks ago. Caffeine stimulates your appetite and carbonated drinks fill the pouch up with gas too much. You can't drink 30 min. before you eat and you can't drink until 1 hour after you eat. I think that will be my biggest problem. But, if you drink with your food it will wash it down and through the pouch too quickly and you won't feel as full. Good luck to you!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your decision to pursue the lap band. I'm sorry to hear of your health issues - hopefully with some weight loss, some of them will be reduced.

There certainly are some foods and drinks that you would be wise to avoid after the band. There are few that you "cannot" have, but many that you should not. I was also worried about giving up some of my favorites. But let me encourage you! You will be amazed by how many things you will be able to give up after you have the band.

First of all, your tastes will change a bit, and you may find that there are things that tasted great before, that suddenly aren't so good. (soda was one of those things for me) Second, without the constant hunger that comes with most diets, you'll find your willpower is much more....well, powerful. Since you aren't physically hungry, it is easier to control your cravings. And finally, the first time you get food stuck because you've eaten something on the no-no list, or you've eaten more than your new tummy can handle - you will learn that it is less painful and uncomfortable to just follow the rules.

I also had a coffee addiction. I've switched to one large mug of half caf coffee in the morning with fat free vanilla creamer (yay for that yummy stuff!). I've switched to iced tea or Water for all the rest of my fluids.

Hope this is helpful info, and keep the questions coming - there are a lot of people here who have experience and will want to help!

Hi and welcome to LBT! I am pre-op, so can't answer some of your questions, but I am going to give a couple of others a shot.

First off, I would check out the FAQ sections. Those threads will answer a lot of your questions. Also, if you can't find the answer to any of your qustions there, post away! There is always someone hanging out here willing to lend a hand.

Good luck!