Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what else can I have on clear liquid diet

I was banded on 4/30/08 and have been extremely fortunate with very little pain or discomfort. It has taken some adjustment getting used to the liquid only restriction. My first six days I was instructed to take in Clear Liquids only but on my follow up my doctor indicated I could graduate to Soups, Protein Shakes, etc. That has made it a bit more tolerable. Yesterday was the first time I had a real urge to chew something. Just had to drink through it and redirect my attention elsewhere. Such a strange feeling..........Anyone else experience this?

Hey slimm2be, I feel like i've been on liquids forever. My Dr. wanted 2 weeks of liquid diet, mostly Protein Shakes. though after surgery seemed more difficult for me clear liquids are boring! Now, I'm having some diluted cream Soups and enjoying them, and i'm not an Soup lover. As to never eating anything you like again, i found after reading the posts on this wesite it sounds that a lot of the people do eat many of the foods they enjoyed pre- band, just not with such great abandonment. Best wishes to you and stay intouch with your progress of your new adventure with food.< /p>

Thank you so much for all the responses it is nice to see people in the same boat as me. I have been hungry now since I have healed more. my stomach is growling and I want to EAT but I am trying different broths. Tuesday I will go back to the doctor and maybe he will transition me to mushies. If not I will def be in the phase of yogurt Protein Shakes apple sauce and

I am finishing up the first day of my 2 week pre-op clear liquids diet :laugh:. It has been very difficult, and I just realized it's probably because I didn't have any Protein shake/powder all day. I had sugar free Gelatin (10 calories, not so bad but I'm sure I'll be sick of it in a month), chicken broth (waaaaaaay too salty), a lot of Water and a sugar free cherry snow cone. I went to an outdoor art fair today and of course there were turkey legs, funnel cakes, popcorn, etc, but I found a snowcone stand and asked for sugar free. It's the first time in years that I've finished an entire snowcone.... :lol:

Mmmmm.... I am on day 2 of my 2 week liquid preop diet. I mixed an EAS vanilla shake with a scoop of strawberry zero carb Isopure in my martini shaker with a few cubes of ice. It's not something that I would voluntarily drink out of the blue... but it's pretty darned tasty for a 2-carb drink. It has 42 grams of Protein as well. It fills a 12 ounce glass.

Edited by Camel_Cracker

I was told Clear liquids, but I did clarifiy with the doctor's office, that thin liquids are OK. Specifically, they told me skim milk would be great.

DH bought some sugar-free carnation instant breakfasts, and I mixed one cup of milk with one pack of the mix in a large cup with a lid.

Since I'm only able to have about 2 ounces at a time, I use one of the disposable bathroom cups (which hold 3 ounces) and fill it 2/3 full, then sip from that cup.

It's perfect. And the sugar-free Carnation instant breakfasts have 5 grams of Protein per pack, 4 grams of Fiber and only 12 grams of carbs.

So, one pack gives me four servings. That's a little over 1 gram of proten, 1 gram of Fiber and 3 grams of carbs per serving, which is not too bad for a start.

I'm having an awful time with broths, though. I tried some chicken broth yesterday and it made me queasy, so I haven't attempted that again.

I have been on a clear liquid diet for 13 days now and I have one more to go. My doctor told me the only Protein I could have was those New Whey Protein Drinks and if I used the Protein Powder to make sure it was not too thick. I have one more day of clear liquids and I can go on cream Soups, sf pudding, applesauce and pureed mushies. I have not cheated even once. It has been a real experience. As far as the chicken broth goes, I gag when I think of it. After seven days of chicken broth, the smell makes me nauseous. I am sure that if we can get through the liquid diet phase of this band, we can do great with this band.

I know what you mean about the chicken broth. While desperately searching the Soup aisle at Wal-Mart I found jars of a product called "Better than Bullion." I bought and sampled mushroom, beef, vegetable and chicken. The tastiest by far are the chicken and vegetable flavours. Mushroom and beef aren't as bad as bullion cubes or broth in a can. I think I'll be using this paste in the future for cooking but after this 3-4 week liquid diet Hell, I'll probably never eat broth again. :lol:)

slimm2be

Thank you for your encouragement. I am excited and scared at the same time there is so much information to remember it is so overwhelming. I am looking forward to the surgery as I have battled my weight all my life.

Another thing to add is drinking custard/yoghurt - or thinned custard, I was told that by my nurse but I only like the normal custard so I'm not gonna do it at all lol

my surgery date was may 5th. So my 3rd day out. I was eating banana popsicles with no problem, then I ate some sf Jello Gelatin and Boomb! Frothin out of my nose and my mouth. couldnt get anything down. Doctor said I was very swollen & there was allready 3cc's put in my band at surgery, So he took it out and I was Able to swallow Water there. So I've been cautious, Just drinking clears....broth water, diluted apple juice ect...

I mixed crystal light with unflavored Protein powder. If you get some unflavored Protein powder, you can mix it in just about anything. There is Hawaiian punch sugar free that's tasty.

A lot of people just use Isopure because it's easy.

How about miso? and for your to chew... sugarfree gum to occupy yourself..... i am not banded at this time i have a consultation tomorrow morning... i am just brainstorming , being creative perhaps. ;o)

My surgery was on May 6th and am not liking this clear liquids thing at all. My surgeons office called the day after surgery and I asked them about the clear liquids phase and I was told I cold have sugar free Jello, sf juice, sf popsicles, and broths. They also said I could have as many Protein shakes as I could tolerate and to sip on them through out the day.

I have been sipping on Protein Shakes and Water through out the day, but the broths are salty and make me cough, which I would rather not do, and the juice and other things make me hungry.

I keep telling myself I can get through this, I and I know I can, but I also go through periods of "What the heck did I do!!!!!"